The John Barry 7

ukelele lady

The recent death of John Barry the composer mostly known for his James Bond theme tunes

reminded me of the time I saw him at the Lyceum.

It was in about 1961 and his group was called the John Barry 7, we didn't know who they were

at the time because we were there to see Adam Faith.

There were a good looking player in his group called Vic and John Barry used to call to the girls

" do you want Vic" the girls would scream yes , so of the stage he would go only to bring back

on a jar of Vick.

I bought one of his early hits called " Walk Don't Run ". does anyone remember that one.?

He later changed his group to the John Barry Orchestra

The recent death of John Barry the composer mostly known for his James Bond theme tunes

It was in about 1961 and his group was called the John Barry 7, we didn't know who they were

There were a good looking player in his group called Vic and John Barry used to call to the girls

" do you want Vic" the girls would scream yes , so of the stage he would go only to bring back

on a jar of Vick.

I bought one of his early hits called " Walk Don't Run ". does anyone remember that one.?

Vic was a guitarist called "Vic Flick"

Was the tune "Walk don't run" the same one that got into the charts by The Ventures?

As you said this was 1961 it would have been around the same time.

on a jar of Vick.

The 'Adam Faith Show' was at the Lyceum week commencing 31st October 1960. Here is the programme for the show which also had an unknown Larry Grayson on the bill.

The 'Adam Faith Show' was at the Lyceum week commencing 31st October 1960. Here is the programme for the show which also had an unknown Larry Grayson on the bill.

Thank you abcman I didn't know that. It must have been 1960 then.

You know how it is , how the mind plays tricks as you get older.

I wonder what Larry Grayson did then at the time.

Vic was a guitarist called "Vic Flick"

Was the tune "Walk don't run" the same one that got into the charts by The Ventures?

As you said this was 1961 it would have been around the same time.

Yes the Ventures had a hit in the charts 8th September 1960 [ Top Rank ] at number 8 .

In the charts for thirteen weeks.

John Barry Orchestra in charts 8th September 1960 at number 49 for 1 week then again

on the 22nd of September 1960 at number 11 for 13 weeks .

They also made the charts with the Magnificent 7 in March , April and June 1961

Also the Persuaders in Dec 1971

Yes the Ventures had a hit in the charts 8th September 1960 [ Top Rank ] at number 8 .

In the charts for thirteen weeks.

John Barry Orchestra in charts 8th September 1960 at number 49 for 1 week then again

on the 22nd of September 1960 at number 11 for 13 weeks .

They also made the charts with the Magnificent 7 in March , April and June 1961

Also the Persuaders in Dec 1971

I am familiar with the Ventures version but not John Barrys.

From my knowledge of John Barry's music and the names of his groups, - "The John Barry 7" and "The John Barry Orchestra" I can imagine it would be more of a "Jazz" version.

I am familiar with the Ventures version but not John Barrys.

From my knowledge of John Barry's music and the names of his groups, - "The John Barry 7" and "The John Barry Orchestra" I can imagine it would be more of a "Jazz" version.

You can listen to J.B.'s version on this "You Tube" link ...................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn1GArGX8PY&feature=fvw

Also on there is another, very familiar piece - written and performed by John Barry, which was heard in Britain's living rooms every Saturday night for many, many years..................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_2lqnTuxjg&feature=related

You can listen to J.B.'s version on this "You Tube" link ...................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn1GArGX8PY&feature=fvw

Also on there is another, very familiar piece - written and performed by John Barry, which was heard in Britain's living rooms every Saturday night for many, many years..................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_2lqnTuxjg&feature=related

Thanks S24, - some great music there ;-)

I suppose everybody of a certain age would instantly recognise "Hit and Miss" and immediately associate it with Juke Box Jury even if they didn't know the title of the piece.

The "walk don't run" piece is very similar to the Ventures version isn't it, - and not as jazzy as I thought it would be

(The John Barry 7 plus 4 is a very "jazz band" sort of name though isn't it)

Both versions of walk don't run though are very typical of their time, - a "Shadows" sort of sound dominated by that highly amplified electric guitar with echo and reverberation added and with plenty of "bent" notes done on that tremelo arm.

A sound that still sounds great today.