Don't You Just Love.....

dunsbyowl1867

No offense intended to our mates across the pond but honestly

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item255f0d39ae

Well, it's a good picture, decent size and only about £7

Better value than those £30+ post cards lol

However, just goes to show how little Americans generally know about Geography.

When it was announced that America was going to oust Saddam Hussean and invade Iraq (prounounced by Americans as I-rack) most Americans thought that Iraq was a special stand to support your i-pod, i-phone or i-pad lol

A joke perhaps but I am convinced many of them didn't know where Iraq was.

Having said that, when Britain sent a task force to the Falkland Islands in 1982 many Britains thought that the Falkland Islands were somewhere off the coast of Scotland and never realised they were in the South Atlantic. :o

I live in the US, so I know exactly how this happens. Americans say 'London' when they mean England. They say England when they mean Great Britain, the UK or the British Isles. It's embarrassing really.

Alternatively, maybe this was a raid in which the German bombers missed London by 150 miles. Maybe the Zeppelins were blown off course or something, lol.

Also in the description it is stated as 'Year-December 1941'

so I presume they refer to the date printed, and not the date it was taken !

Also in the description it is stated as 'Year-December 1941'

so I presume they refer to the date printed, and not the date it was taken !

Or they're just assuming that WW2 started on 7 December 1941 for everyone.

No offense intended to our mates across the pond but honestly

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item255f0d39ae

If we can come up with a reasonable description, I'll "ask the seller a question" and put then right.

Looks like Walsh's to me ... any more details anyone please ?

Date, time, address, County and correct year - for one Sheffield History "House Point". he he

John Walsh Department Store, High Street, Sheffield.

date 13/12/1940

"Walsh’s Store caught fire from surrounding buildings at 4.30am after the raid was over".

From .. YFA Online

Americans say 'London' when they mean England. They say England when they mean . It's embarrassing really.

Even our neighbouring Continental friends the French, Belgians, Dutch and Germans seem to have difficulty understanding the exact difference between Britain, The British Isles, Great Britain and The United Kingdom.

I can forgive them that as the exact meaning of these terms is tied up in a part of British History which is not a part of their own history.

But to be able to confuse a City (London) with a country (England), and then confuse that with a union of other countries (Great Britain, the UK or the British Isles)

Shame on them!

Theyr'e not exactly going to win the "Brains of Britain" contest are they? :angry:

Or is that the "Brains of London" or the "Brains of England" contest? lol

date 13/12/1940

"Walsh’s Store caught fire from surrounding buildings at 4.30am after the raid was over".

From .. YFA Online

OK, so we know the exact location, date and time that this picture must have been taken.

Anyone want to "put the seller right" about his description?

Richard?

...difficulty understanding the exact difference between Britain, The British Isles, Great Britain and The United Kingdom.

Well, I must admit, even I had only a vague understanding of these issues until a few months ago when I was designing some British themed T-shirts for CafePress.

date 13/12/1940

From .. YFA Online

Contacted the seller :

Your Sheffield, London offering has caused much interest at www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk

A couple of corrections :

Sheffield is not in, or near, London - it is Sheffield, Yorkshire.

The events in the picture were part of the Sheffield Blitz, 660 dead.

date 13/12/1940 (not 1941)

I believe it was the Bodega Public House that took the bomb-hit.

Best match is a picture from 1905

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoom&keywords=Ref_No_increment;MATCHES;%28^|%20+%29y00666%28$|%20+%29&continueUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOVdhbHNoX0pfYW5kX0NvJTI4JTI0JTdDKyUyQiUyOSZhY3Rpb249c2VhcmNoJnBhZ2U9MTE=

or, visit www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk and visit the eBay section.

Contacted the seller :

Your Sheffield, London offering has caused much interest at www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk

A couple of corrections :

Sheffield is not in, or near, London - it is Sheffield, Yorkshire.

The events in the picture were part of the Sheffield Blitz, 660 dead.

date 13/12/1940 (not 1941)

"Walsh's Store caught fire from surrounding buildings at 4.30am after the raid was over".

I believe it was the Bodega Public House that took the bomb-hit.

Best match is a picture from 1905

http://www.picturesh...mNoJnBhZ2U9MTE=

or, visit www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk and visit the eBay section.

Got a reply, but I can't find the picture on the Defense.gov website ... can anyone else please ?

Reply :

Hello there,

Thanks for writing. As stated in the listing, our photo descriptions come directly from the source sited. This photograph and it's description came from the U.S. Department of Defense (call number HD-SN-99-02664). If you feel this description is in error, please contact the DOD directly at: http://www.defense.gov/multimedia/multimedia.aspx.

Thanks!

Vicki

- history_at_vhstudio

This photograph and it's description came from the U.S. Department of Defense (call number HD-SN-99-02664).

Thanks!

Look on the bright side. If ever they decide to bomb Sheffield, they'll miss us by about 170 miles.

Look on the bright side. If ever they decide to bomb Sheffield, they'll miss us by about 170 miles.

Typical.

The Americans have hi-Tec guided missiles accurate to within a metre anywhere on Earth

But they don't actually know where their target is! lol

I live in the US, so I know exactly how this happens. Americans say 'London' when they mean England. They say England when they mean Great Britain, the UK or the British Isles. It's embarrassing really.

Perhaps this might help!

All clear now? ;-)