Who First Invented/produced Cooking Range

RichardB

When was the cooking range first invented/produced please ? and why ? (I have a reaonable answer to this one) and by whom ?

Tinywifelette is asking.

"Inventors began making improvements to wood burning stoves primarily to contain the bothersome smoke that was being produced. Fire chambers were invented that contained the wood fire, and holes were built into the top of these chambers that cooking pots with flat bottoms could be placed directly upon replacing the cauldron. One masonary design of note, was the 1735 Castrol stove (aka stew stove) invented by French architect François Cuvilliés. It completely contained the fire, and had several opening covered by iron plates with holes.

Iron Stoves

Around 1728, cast iron ovens really began to be made in quantity. These first ovens of German design were called Five-plate or Jamb stoves."

More - INVENTORS.ABOUT.COM

"Inventors began making improvements to wood burning stoves primarily to contain the bothersome smoke that was being produced. Fire chambers were invented that contained the wood fire, and holes were built into the top of these chambers that cooking pots with flat bottoms could be placed directly upon replacing the cauldron. One masonary design of note, was the 1735 Castrol stove (aka stew stove) invented by French architect François Cuvilliés. It completely contained the fire, and had several opening covered by iron plates with holes.

Iron Stoves

Around 1728, cast iron ovens really began to be made in quantity. These first ovens of German design were called Five-plate or Jamb stoves."

More - INVENTORS.ABOUT.COM

HI Vox As a lad about 15 or 16 I worked on many different types of cooking ranges, the basic types, mostly on decrepit slum type cottage property, consisting of a fire bottom grate [replaceable] as was the 5 bar front ,with the top 3 bars hinged to let down to form a flat surface to put on the iron kettle or stew pan, and the much used frying pan!, the left hand side being a container with a top opening lid mostly used to keep the kindling dry [ on the more modern type it had a brass tap at the bottom and used to provide hot water],the other side was the cast iron oven, also renewable, usually with 2 cast iron shelves,one for cooking and the other wrapped in an old piece of blanket [ a forerunner of the old rubber hot water bottle] and usually put in the kids bed on winter nights ,the fire back was formed to provide a ledge at the level of the closed up front bars [ to take a pan] it was then sloped high up to the the dividing wall with next doors fire back . ln the better class property was the Yorkshire Range similar to the other but had shelveing over the oven and fire to keep food hot, both types was kept shining with black lead sparingly applied then brushed vigorously to give a lovely finish,[this was my job as a youngster, to get an extra penny spending money. Those were the days . Skeets

Skeets

My Gra had a "modern" gas cooker as well as the Yorkshire Range.

On bread making days, she would only use the oven in the range because the modern oven wasn't up to the job she said.

As a small child I remember the kettle always standing on it's ring on the range. It pivoted over or away from the heat so the water in it was always hot. You just swung it further over the fire to bring it up to boil.