"belmont" Or "belle Mount"

Guest JSP

I was just 'reviewing' what i already know about my family history. I have always know that an ancestor of mine first lived at "Belmont". I thought this referred to a house until I found a census return from 1841. (I hadn't found it before as it has dodgy spelling of names in it!) It calls "Belmont" "Belle Mount" on the census as a road or 'mount'. I can't actually find where this area was and wondered if any geography buffs could help. I presume that it was previously called a mount and just progressed to Belmont.

Thanks,

JP

I was just 'reviewing' what i already know about my family history. I have always know that an ancestor of mine first lived at "Belmont". I thought this referred to a house until I found a census return from 1841. (I hadn't found it before as it has dodgy spelling of names in it!) It calls "Belmont" "Belle Mount" on the census as a road or 'mount'. I can't actually find where this area was and wondered if any geography buffs could help. I presume that it was previously called a mount and just progressed to Belmont.

Thanks,

JP

There was a Belmont House at Stocksbridge at the top of the hill opposite the Town Hall. It was used for a long time as the Stocksbridge Works Training Centre Headquarters. I don't know what the rather imposing house is used for nowadays but I gather housing as been built in the grounds.

I suppose it must have been quite a common name in Victorian times.

HD

There was a Belmont House at Stocksbridge at the top of the hill opposite the Town Hall. It was used for a long time as the Stocksbridge Works Training Centre Headquarters. I don't know what the rather imposing house is used for nowadays but I gather housing as been built in the grounds.

HD

Rev. Henry Robertshaw, Congregational, Belmont House, Stocksbridge (Kelly's 1893)

HD

It is now a care home, aptly named "Belmont House Care Home". :)

Thanks,

JP

Belmonte, Park (1849) - also Belmonte Park

Belmont House, Stocksbridge (1893)

Belmonte, Norfolk Road (1852)

Belmont House, James Street, Masbrough (1893)

Belmont House, Thurgoland (1893)

Belmont, High Storrs Road (1925)

Belmont, 34 Collegiate Crescent, Ecclesall (1911)

Ven. John Edward Blakeney, The Vicarage, St. James' Row and Belmont, 34 Collegiate Crescent, Broomhall (1893)

Rev. Robert Henry Deane, Incumbent of Holliscroft District, homeBelmonte (1852)

Joseph Lockwood, of Lockwood Brothers Merchants and manufacturers, home Belmonte (1852)

John Martin & Co., File and steel manufacturers, Wentworth Works, Wetworth Street; home Belmonte, Norfolk Road, Park (1852)

should keep you busy for a while

Arthur Marshall Chambers Esq., (Newton Chambers), home Belmont, Chapeltown (1871)

Louis Armond Beauvoisin, Gentleman, Belmont, South Street, Park (1841)

Henry Beauvoisin, Gentleman, Belmonte, Norfolk Road (1852)

Mrs Elizabeth Furniss, Belmont, Shrewsbury Road (1837)

Jonah Hawkrigg, Gentleman, Belmont (1841)

Henry Waterfall, Solicitor, 1-3 Fargate, home Belmont (1841) see G E Dawson's Will (Link Fairie vacancy)

Henry Beauvoisin, Gentleman, Belmonte, Norfolk Road (1852)

Hmmm... This is annoying. I had just come to the conclusion that it was the Belmonte house in Norfolk road as in 1841 it says Belmonte and in 1851 it says Norfolk road so I put two and two together, perhaps I was presuming too much!

JP

Belmont House is on Belmont drive off Victoria Road Stocksbridge. Victoria Road was also known as "The Low Road" and was where the Horse drawn Hearse had to go to get to Bolsterstone as Shay House lane was too steep.

In the 50’s it was used as the Doctors Surgery before it moved down to the Cinema Building.

Fox’s took it over as a training Establishment and now it has been turned into a Care Home.

Belmont House is on Belmont drive off Victoria Road Stocksbridge. Victoria Road was also known as "The Low Road" and was where the Horse drawn Hearse had to go to get to Bolsterstone as Shay House lane was too steep.

In the 50’s it was used as the Doctors Surgery before it moved down to the Cinema Building.

Fox’s took it over as a training Establishment and now it has been turned into a Care Home.

Thanks Dave, that's great info, shall write that down somewhere!

Another snippet I have just remembered, there is a “track” leading up from Edward Street to the back of Belmont House which was, and still is as far as I know, known as Doctors Drive.

Looking on a 1855 map,

the area where Belmont House at Stocksbridge now stands is shown as fields.

Belmont (off Low Ln) and buildings close by called Lion Lodge, and Alice Cottage,

are shown on the 1893 map.

Having decided Belmonte is on Norfolk road I started have a look over the modern map and have found this;

Google Maps

Looking at the old map snippet further up it shows Belmonte to have large gardens which can be seen as public gardens today, although the buildings not being present. The road Belmonte Gardens I think is in reference to this.

Guest ROCKLANDS

Hi. I have just joined this forum! Belmonte or Belmont House still exists in Norfolk Road. The old Gothic house is now divided into 3 with no. 42 Norfolk Road being the main house. There is a driveway to the house from Belmonte Gardens and also Norfolk Road which has the remnants of the old carriage driveway. The original coach house still stands as do the stables which have been converted into garages. No's 44-50 Norfolk Road were also part of the original Belmonte estate and were probably substantial semi-detached houses built for Loius Beauvoisin's relatives? In old census records all the occupants of these various houses were listed as Belmonte / Belmont / Belle Mount therefore it is impossible to work out who lived in which house etc. (I know all this info as I live in one of the houses!) Belmonte was built around 1831 and was the first house built on what later became Norfolk Road. Belmonte Gardens was built circa 1983 in the gardens of Belmont House and 44-46 Norfolk Road. Hope this information is of help. Thanks to whoever posted the 1856 map of my house - not seen that one before!

My Neice lives in a Belmont house at the top of loundside in Chapeltown. It was once lived in by Arthur marshall Newton of Newton and Chambers and she has the deeds to confirm this. His father John Newton Chambers also lived in the property which I think dates back to the late 1860's