Yeardley Old Photograph

History dude

Thanks to my grandmother on my dad's side of the family, we have quite a number of the photos from her line. Alice (my grandmother) was very keen on history and used to take me on day trips to York. So I think I got the history bug from her :)

The photo below is the oldest in my collection and features my Great Great Grandfather John Fletcher Yeardley who was born in 1846. Alice had put on the back "Grandfather Yeardley" but not the woman's name. So we assumed it was his wife :unsure: Till I came accross the online 1881 census for Sheffield. This lists him as 35, a Cast Steel Forgeman, at 21 Flora Street. And also indicated his wife was dead :o

By the style of the picture we reckon that it couldn't be earlier than the census, and luckly the census reveals who she could be. For also listed at the same place is his sister Maria aged 42. a dress maker, and unmarried. So it is Maria in the picture and it also explains the dark dress! Wonder if she made it herself? Why was she living with her brother? Well John had six boys aged from 2 to 12, so that would explain it.

A quick check on the 1871 census showed that his wife was called Elizabeth born 1849, but we don't know anything else about her and why she died, or even when. Though due to the two-year-old son it was before 1880. The fact that Maria never married also help trace her back home to her mum & dad, who were Joseph born 1806 and Hanah born 1811.

Can a mod correct the title error please! Sorry! - Done RB

William Shingler known at 236/236A Langsett Road, Photographer in 1893.

Yes I reckon it was about 1890 the photo. We found some of the 'kids' burried in Tinsley Park Cem. One died on my birthday aged just 40. The other at Perhawar India, aged just 22. James Yeardley was his name. The gravestone says private in 2nd Batt, 19th Yorks Regt. He died July 13 (unlucky for him :) ) 1898. So he must have got killed in someone's war.

This evening I decided to google the name of my great grandfather, John Fletcher Yeardley. Imagine my surprise when information re his photo popped up. Of course I couldn't access it until I'd registered but once the picture had appeared on my screen I knew it was him. Also, the information given ties in exactly with my research.

His first wife, Elizabeth (nee Walker), died young in 1879 and he remarried in 1883. Elizabeth Minton, his second wife, came from Shropshire. I will try an attach a picture of her and also, my granddad, Ernest who died in 1946. I never knew him as he died a few years before I was born. My mum remembered John Fletcher as a big man with a huge moustache. My cousin sent me the pics a couple of years ago. But Elizabeth Minton was our great grandma (step) not great great.

I can't tell you how thrilled I am to see a photo of John Fletcher. There is still a likeness to him in my family.

Oh after I had attached the photos of our ancestors I meant to ask you if you could attach any more Yeardley photos. It would be great if you could.

Oh after I had attached the photos of our ancestors I meant to ask you if you could attach any more Yeardley photos. It would be great if you could.

So glad to hear from some lost relative :)

I'll PM you with my E-Mail so we can pass more information ;-)

But for now hear are a few more pictures:

John Fletcher Yeardley (JNR) Taken from the indication on the back in East Street Poona (India).

Frank Yeardley

Frank Yeardley

Yeardley4.BMP

Annie Dolan wife of J.F.Yeardley born 1871. She was born 1878.

I have traced the family back even further than John F senior to Joseph who was born 1806.

By the way I am descended off John and Annie's daughter Alice Pretoria Yeardley.

If I read you right you must come off Ernest born 1873 the fourth of 6 brothers! J.F. Jnr being the 3rd. Frank shown above the 2nd.

Thanks for that. :)

By the way these pictures were digitally remastered due to wear and damage. For instance J.R Jnr photo had a MASSIVE crack running accros the picture at his neck, which is why it looks odd!

It's wonderful to see pictures of my great uncles so thanks for posting these. lol The photo of JF junior in Poona answers my question about his whereabouts in 1901 when his wife is living at her brother-in-law Frank's house. I thought he might be fighting in the Boer War as his daughter was called Alice Pretoria. I have done a lot of research on the Yeardleys and also have got back to 1806.

I have attached a snapshot of my grandfather Ernest Yeardley with his wife Charlotte and children Amy, Charlotte, Ernest and Stanley. It was taken in 1901.

The house next door to his (in 1901) is currently for sale at Blundells (this is number 6, the family lived at number 4).

It's wonderful to see pictures of my great uncles so thanks for posting these. lol The photo of JF junior in Poona answers my question about his whereabouts in 1901 when his wife is living at her brother-in-law Frank's house. I thought he might be fighting in the Boer War as his daughter was called Alice Pretoria. I have done a lot of research on the Yeardleys and also have got back to 1806. I have attached a snapshot of my grandfather Ernest Yeardley with his wife Charlotte and children Amy, Charlotte, Ernest and Stanley. It was taken in 1901.

Of course, Ernest Sr. chose to move on as he became more successful in his career; living at :

62 Wadsley Lane in 1905 (when he was Secretary)

124 Langsett Avenue from 1911, 1919 (Secretary) and 1925 (when he was Managing Director).

Young Ernest lived at 48 Dixon Road in 1925.

The house next door to his (in 1901) is currently for sale at Blundells (this is number 6, the family lived at number 4).

I have attached a snapshot of my grandfather Ernest Yeardley with his wife Charlotte and children Amy, Charlotte, Ernest and Stanley. It was taken in 1901.

Patched it up a bit.

Fairly distinctive looking wall behind them; wonder if its still there ? One for the cat-burglars amongst us ...

Patched it up a bit.

It's wonderful to see pictures of my great uncles so thanks for posting these. lol The photo of JF junior in Poona answers my question about his whereabouts in 1901 when his wife is living at her brother-in-law Frank's house. I thought he might be fighting in the Boer War as his daughter was called Alice Pretoria. I have done a lot of research on the Yeardleys and also have got back to 1806.

I have attached a snapshot of my grandfather Ernest Yeardley with his wife Charlotte and children Amy, Charlotte, Ernest and Stanley. It was taken in 1901

Alice living with uncle Frank must have had a big impact on her as she named her son and my dad therefore Frank!

Frank Yeardley also had a son called Frank who ends up living with J.F, Alice's dad in 1911.

Alice's son Frank and Alice in later life. She who is responsible for a lot of historical material in my collection such as those theatre programs.

Good as new, Steve. Thanks. To continue the military theme, here is a photo of my uncles Ernest and Stan who both fought in the first world war.

Graham, do you know when and where the photos of great uncle Frank were taken?

Good as new, Steve. Thanks. To continue the military theme, here is a photo of my uncles Ernest and Stan who both fought in the first world war.

Graham, do you know when and where the photos of great uncle Frank were taken?

The child photo of Frank Yeardley, I think the photo was cut around the edges. It could have removed the photographer's studio. On the back in old ink is "Mr Yeardley ? 97 Staniforth (Rd) Attercliffe". He was born in 1897 so around 1904 if he was 7 in the picture!

There's no indication of date on the older Frank with tash! And nothing on the back at all. The one with him in uniform as a photograph studio for Jersey on the back :mellow:

However he died in 1909 according to a gravestone in Tinsley Park Cem aged 40.

3 More of Frank and his wife this time! No dates sorry!

Alice Yeardly photographer T ®odger Corporation Street Sheffield.

Frank Yeardley. W Shingler studio 236 Langsett Road.

Now Alice and Frank together taken in Manchester!

The first 'pink' is the original and the other is a restored version.

It's great to find more and more info about the Yeardleys. Albert Yeardley, the 6th sibling, died in 1961. Does anyone know anything about him?

Here is a photo of my Aunty Amy's wedding to Wilson Greaves in 1923. She died - childless - in May 1968 aged 75+. Not a good photo, I'm afraid.

I think that's Issac W Greaves ... marriage in the Registers Jul-Sep 1923.

It's great to find more and more info about the Yeardleys. Albert Yeardley, the 6th sibling, died in 1961. Does anyone know anything about him? Here is a photo of my Aunty Amy's wedding to Wilson Greaves in 1923. She died - childless - in May 1968 aged 75+. Not a good photo, I'm afraid.

Now some of the grown up Frank Yeardley!

With his wife older still and in the army!!

Alice on her own.

I also have a photo of one that we don't know anything about. :wacko: But Alice Pretoria has written on the back Mrs Pyecroft. I will scan it and post it if anyone knows anyone called Pyecroft :mellow:

Are these pics of Frank's son, the young Frank born in 1896/7? If so, it's interesting that his wife was called Alice too -like his mum. Do you know when they died?

Are these pics of Frank's son, the young Frank born in 1896/7? If so, it's interesting that his wife was called Alice too -like his mum. Do you know when they died?

They are of the younger Frank, but Frank the elder's wife was according to that gravestone was called Frances Alice and she died May 12 1933 aged 61. It's possible some confusion could have come about or she might have prefaired Alice to Frances?

We don't know when the younger Frank and his wife died, but my father seems to think he died before her. He does recall her hanging around and going on holiday with his mum the two "Alice's" he called them!