Brushmakers Arms

RichardB

"This one sold for £54.00 !!!! a few hours ago.

'Brushmakers Arms' Pond Hill,Sheffield c.1880,

an antique postard of 'the Brushmakers Arms, Pond Hill' Sheffield.

Written on the back is 'Brushmakers arms' pond hill, sheffield. pulled down in `1890 opposite '' Old Queens Head'' ( formerly the castle laundry) now part of Joseph Rodgers and sons works. a very early photographic scene taken in 1881

This is a quiet village lane, with mother in the doorway of the old cottage, a child in her fathers arms sitting on the garden fence dressed in costume of the day."

Link to ebay item

I have this cracked; I had it down as "Bushmakers", 31 Pond Hill, with no known keepers.

However, I now have a couple of keepers - male - occupation Brushmakes, beerhouse & shopkeeper (1833, 1837 & 1849) - followed, presumably by his wife in 1852.

Let's see what UKL makes of it.

------------------------------------------

Don't know whether UKL saw this in eBay thread, so I've leave it a bit longer ...

On 1/26/2011 at 18:50, RichardB said:

"This one sold for £54.00 !!!! a few hours ago.

'Brushmakers Arms' Pond Hill,Sheffield c.1880,

an antique postard of 'the Brushmakers Arms, Pond Hill' Sheffield.

Written on the back is 'Brushmakers arms' pond hill, sheffield. pulled down in `1890 opposite '' Old Queens Head'' ( formerly the castle laundry) now part of Joseph Rodgers and sons works. a very early photographic scene taken in 1881

This is a quiet village lane, with mother in the doorway of the old cottage, a child in her fathers arms sitting on the garden fence dressed in costume of the day."

Link to ebay item

I thought I would just revive an old but very interesting post in case someone could come up with more information or pictures. The old link didn't work for me so here is one on Ebay now.  The description sounds very much like the above,

------------       https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VTG-PH-P-C-FAMILY-BRUSHMAKERS-ARMS-POND-HILL-SHEFFIELD/372232965171?hash=item56aad04c33:g:xrkAAOSw2cNakt3O 

brushmakers.jpg