1St Time Newbie, Never Before, Forum Virgin

Guest Cyberman

Just looking at Dave's photo, it could actually be in any cosmopolitan city now. The rag and tag was the pot bloke shouting his wares. The pet store, not Maces but at the corner, just full of straw when you walked in (obviously not good) where you could buy baby alligators, (never mind New York, Sheffield sewers must be rife with wildlife now).

Another sad loss to Sheffield then

Another piece of our local character gone forever.

..and now they want rid of the Castle Market as well :o

I think cyberman may be having a gentle poke at us Sheffield fanatics. Apologies if you are not cyberman.

Must admit I did think that initially SuzyC (sorry Cyberman) :(

However I now think he just has exactly the same sense of humour that me and Stuart have shared for over 40 years. lol

:P

Pardon my ignorance here SuzyC but what is a "minuteman"?

I hope it is not a reference to a male of inadequate sexual performance! :o

To me a "minuteman" is a cold war American intercontinental ballistic missile carrying a nuclear warhead deployed in the 1960's.

The missile was based on the Titan missile and used hypogollic fuels (fuels which ignite immediately as soon as they are mixed) giving a very rapid launch from a secret underground silo somewhere in the USA. It would take less than a minute from "the button being pushed" to the missile being launched. It would strike a target in the USSR (Moscow?) 15 minutes after that.

It was the American retaliation against a nuclear strike from the USSR against them, as the missiles could be launched before the Soviet missiles hit their American targets using advanced warning systems of the incoming attack (eg Filingdales) America had a 15 minute warning of such an attack, if the attack was against Britain we would have had a mere 4 minutes warning.

The whole system was called "Mutually Assured Destruction" and carried the appropriate acronym MAD as an premptive nuclear strike by either side would have initiated an unstoppable like for like instant retaliation.

Fortunately the knowledge and threat of it did however manage to hold the peace for over 40 years.

"My minutemen are bubbling even as we speak....... " implies that you are about to launch a nuclear attack! :o

Bye the bye, don´t like the reference to smog. Sheffield was at some point (I think in the 70's) voted the cleanest industrial city in Europe, probably due to the large amount of green spaces, parks etc. I´m sure there isn´t any smog there now at all, due to no industry, etc.

I'm sure Cyberman was joking.

However, you are correct. The clean air act of 1956 wasn't fully implimented in Sheffield until 1965 having being "phased in".

After that the air over Sheffield quickly cleared winning it awards as "the cleanest industrial City" in the 1970's

Pardon my ignorance here SuzyC but what is a "minuteman"?

I hope it is not a reference to a male of inadequate sexual performance! :o

To me a "minuteman" is a cold war American intercontinental ballistic missile carrying a nuclear warhead deployed in the 1960's.

The missile was based on the Titan missile and used hypogollic fuels (fuels which ignite immediately as soon as they are mixed) giving a very rapid launch from a secret underground silo somewhere in the USA. It would take less than a minute from "the button being pushed" to the missile being launched. It would strike a target in the USSR (Moscow?) 15 minutes after that.

It was the American retaliation against a nuclear strike from the USSR against them, as the missiles could be launched before the Soviet missiles hit their American targets using advanced warning systems of the incoming attack (eg Filingdales) America had a 15 minute warning of such an attack, if the attack was against Britain we would have had a mere 4 minutes warning.

The whole system was called "Mutually Assured Destruction" and carried the appropriate acronym MAD as an premptive nuclear strike by either side would have initiated an unstoppable like for like instant retaliation.

Fortunately the knowledge and threat of it did however manage to hold the peace for over 40 years.

"My minutemen are bubbling even as we speak....... " implies that you are about to launch a nuclear attack! :o

Sorry Dave, I was just joking because we have so much satellite stuff, dishes, etc. that it reminds me of a nuclear installation at times, that´s the price we pay for living in the middle of the country, also had recently been watching The Day After on tv :P

Sorry Dave, I was just joking because we have so much satellite stuff, dishes, etc. that it reminds me of a nuclear installation at times, that´s the price we pay for living in the middle of the country, also had recently been watching The Day After on tv :P

So it WAS a reference to the minuteman missile defence (or defense as the Americans call it) system then!

Guest Cyberman

Yea, sorry SuzyC, I didn't realy mean my comment about the smog in Sheffield, DaveH was right,... it was just a joke...

No,... see,... the real problem with Sheffield is just the horrible smell of the place!

Regards, Cyberman

Oh, yes... on a different note, I have some still shots of my 4 films. My question (Perhaps to DaveH) is do I have to upload these via the http//thingymajig as the problem is, I have no http/thingymajig to upload from????

please excuse my rushed post as i am trying to eat my oatcake and blackpudding lunch at the same time... Oh no, my flat cap has just fallen of and knocked my cuppa over.

Oh, yes... on a different note, I have some still shots of my 4 films. My question (Perhaps to DaveH) is do I have to upload these via the http//thingymajig as the problem is, I have no http/thingymajig to upload from????

please excuse my rushed post as i am trying to eat my oatcake and blackpudding lunch at the same time... Oh no, my flat cap has just fallen of and knocked my cuppa over.

You can upload images straight onto here from a folder on your computer,

so there is no need to have or use an http-thing-a-majig (photo sharing account).

Went to Castle Market this morning so stopped off to take this picture

I am stood with my back against the railings which are stopping me falling into Sheaf Street and the "magic roundabout"

The view is up Broad Street and then straight up Dixon Lane in the distance. The Norfolk Arms is still there at the bottom of Dixon lane and appears to be still open.

The Travelodge hotel is in front of the ols Woolworths building so must be on the site previously occupied, from the early 1970's by Sheaf Market.

On the other side of the road is the Ibis Hotel and its car park.

This is the site of the old rag and tag open air market and market hall.

SH LINK

Guest Cyberman

Hi all,... I reckon this site ought to be renamed 'The vastly over-educated forum' what with all that hypoboloc fuels nonsence. You lost me with 'minuteman'. As far as I am aware a minuteman refers to a very small person indeed??

Anyway here are some stills from my 'Kitchen productions' as promised.

1st we have a shot of the kettle waiting to boil... The 2nd shot is of me remembering to turn it on at the switch about 22mins into the film... and finally we have the climax of the film. A shot of the kettle coming to the boil.

Lastly we have a shot from my latest film, How to turn on a tap... You can just make me out in the shot desperately trying to turn off the tap before it drains ladybower.

I will post some shots of 'Peeling a potato' both English and Italian versions shortly.

Enjoy... Regards, Cyberman

Hi all,... I reckon this site ought to be renamed 'The vastly over-educated forum' what with all that hypoboloc fuels nonsence. You lost me with 'minuteman'. As far as I am aware a minuteman refers to a very small person indeed??

Anyway here are some stills from my 'Kitchen productions' as promised.

1st we have a shot of the kettle waiting to boil... The 2nd shot is of me remembering to turn it on at the switch about 22mins into the film... and finally we have the climax of the film. A shot of the kettle coming to the boil.

Lastly we have a shot from my latest film, How to turn on a tap... You can just make me out in the shot desperately trying to turn off the tap before it drains ladybower.

I will post some shots of 'Peeling a potato' both English and Italian versions shortly.

Enjoy... Regards, Cyberman

Waiting 20 odd minutes for a kettle to boil, obviously inspired by the Warhol film "24 hours" which just shows the Empire State building for 24 hours (yes, 24 hours!!!) but not a lot happens.

Peeling a potato with both English and Italian versions will be ideal for when it gets shown at the Cannes Film Festival, - but perhaps you should have a French version as well, perhaps with a a few escargots (edible snails) in the background.

lol

Guest Cyberman

Hi DaveH,

Yea, I think i'll leave the 24 hour long films to the experts. Anyway, it would cost me too much in tapes. I must say the advise about using picturesheffield.com was great. There are some good pictures of the old rag and tag market. Better wrap up this topic now as I am still on the introduction forum. I'll post again in the more appropriate areas. I'd be interested in peoples experience of the Sheffield hurricane and stories of sheffield blitz (if any of you are old enough to remember it?)

Regards for now Cyberman...

Hi DaveH,

Yea, I think i'll leave the 24 hour long films to the experts. Anyway, it would cost me too much in tapes. I must say the advise about using picturesheffield.com was great. There are some good pictures of the old rag and tag market. Better wrap up this topic now as I am still on the introduction forum. I'll post again in the more appropriate areas. I'd be interested in peoples experience of the Sheffield hurricane and stories of sheffield blitz (if any of you are old enough to remember it?)

Regards for now Cyberman...

Best place for your film stuff is in the "Sheffield Related Video" section, I've got a couple of mine in there.

As for the Sheffield Hurricane (1962) it was a defining point in my young life and there is a whole topic about it here, -

Sheffield Gale 1962

Sheffield Blitz was before my time but I have related some of my parents and grandparents and even a great grandparents, escapades in it on other topics on this site in the "Sheffield at War" section.