1St Time Newbie, Never Before, Forum Virgin

Guest Cyberman

Guest Cyberman

Hi to everyone,

Love Sheffield, I've heard it's very nice when the sun eventually breaks through the smog. No seriously folks, Anyone interested in films shot in Sheffield? I've actually made about 4 films in total that have been shot in Sheffield. Unfortunately they were all shot in our back kitchen, but we do actually live in Sheffield. Does that still count? No sorry, on a proper serious note I do adore Shefield and especially old pictures and films. In particular the 20's through to the 50's eras. If anyone can point me in the right direction on where best to find any relative photos on this site it would be much appricia... apreesh... apresch... much welcomed.

Regards, Cyberman

Hi to everyone,

Love Sheffield, I've heard it's very nice when the sun eventually breaks through the smog. No seriously folks, Anyone interested in films shot in Sheffield? I've actually made about 4 films in total that have been shot in Sheffield. Unfortunately they were all shot in our back kitchen, but we do actually live in Sheffield. Does that still count? No sorry, on a proper serious note I do adore Shefield and especially old pictures and films. In particular the 20's through to the 50's eras. If anyone can point me in the right direction on where best to find any relative photos on this site it would be much appricia... apreesh... apresch... much welcomed.

Regards, Cyberman

Welcome Cyberman, I've been here a while.

Regarding your films, post one up and we will take a look (We need to know you own the copyright, shouldn't be that difficult if taken in your kitchen and that they meet our standards).

For old pictures try picturesheffield.com, or, if you have particular locations/buildings/people in mind, ask on here - we will see what we can do.

Guest Cyberman

Thanks for the welcome aboard RichardB,

Not sure if you'd realy be interested in those 4 films though. Their titles are... 'Watching the kettle boil', 'Using the kitchen tap', 'How to peel a potatoe' and finally... 'How to peel a potatoe (Italian version)'. Also the files are quite large as each film is over 25 minutes long and filmed in HD (AVCHD). If you are interested in them perhaps I could post a sample of them all for you to watch??? But anyway I will check out the site you recommended for the old Sheffield pictures and thanks again. Oh yes... I do also have some old footage of a School called 'Norfolk Comprehensive' which was taken quite a few years ago on an estate called the Arbourthorne and includes a pub called 'the Vulcan'?, but its a bit boring and not up to the standard of my other 'back kitchen productions'. Anyway if anyone is interested in it, i could always look it out and post it. I think it was shot in about 1982.

Best Regards, Cyberman

Not sure if you'd realy be interested in those 4 films though. Their titles are... 'Watching the kettle boil', 'Using the kitchen tap', 'How to peel a potatoe' and finally... 'How to peel a potatoe (Italian version)'. Also the files are quite large as each film is over 25 minutes long and filmed in HD (AVCHD). If you are interested in them perhaps I could post a sample of them all for you to watch??? But anyway I will check out the site you recommended for the old Sheffield pictures and thanks again. Oh yes... I do also have some old footage of a School called 'Norfolk Comprehensive' which was taken quite a few years ago on an estate called the Arbourthorne and includes a pub called 'the Vulcan'?, but its a bit boring and not up to the standard of my other 'back kitchen productions'. Anyway if anyone is interested in it, i could always look it out and post it. I think it was shot in about 1982.

Best Regards, Cyberman

I assume you know about The Yorkshire Film Archive Cyberman.

Best Regards, Cyberman

I'd love to know a keepers name (i.e. a Landlord) for the Vulcan - even from as recently as 1982.

Best Regards, Cyberman

Welcome to the forum Cyberman

Are your films on youtube, if so post a link to them, especially the Norfolk School one, I know our moderator DaveH will be more than interested, he is the worlds leading authority on Norfolk School, which by the way has more ex pupils as members than an other Sheffield School

How do you peel a potato, I've always wondered, though I can mange to boil a kettle.

Regarding your films, post one up and we will take a look

I'm not sure that is possible Richard as the site only accepts a limited number of file types for upload (jpg, gif, png and pdf) none of which are video files.

Further, the maximum size of any uploaded file to the site is 2Mb, that is very small for a video file.

The personal videos I have made available to the site (The Dr. Dave & Mr. Big video) is uploaded into my own web space and this site merely contains a link to it as the file is about 40Mb in size.

I think Stuart has already indicated that videos need to be linked (or even embedded using a link) from another site and places like Youtube are ideal for this.

I'd love to know a keepers name (i.e. a Landlord) for the Vulcan - even from as recently as 1982.

The Vulcan is a bit too modern for you Richard.

It is on Northern Avenue, S2.

It was built in 1967-8 when the original prefabs, damaged in the '62 gale, were replaced with Finnegan / Vic Hallam type housing and it is currently closed, - has been for a few years now.

I don't want to know the Landlord / Keepers name as he was the bloke who barred me from the pub in 1976 because one of his barmaid asked me how old I was and I said "21" because I was actually, er, well, - 21 years old and well old enough to go and have a drink in a boozer. He thought I was being awkward and kicked me out of the pub.

Never went back, - went down to the Felbrigg instead!

Not sure if you'd realy be interested in those 4 films though. Their titles are... 'Watching the kettle boil', 'Using the kitchen tap', 'How to peel a potatoe' and finally... 'How to peel a potatoe (Italian version)'. Also the files are quite large as each film is over 25 minutes long and filmed in HD (AVCHD).

Best Regards, Cyberman

Welcome to the site Cyberman.

It must be a very poor kettle if the film "Watching the kettle boil" takes 25 minutes.

Then again there are some very fancy kitchen taps these days so "Using the kitchen tap" at 25 minutes could be a definative user guide to kitchen taps, - both hot and cold.

Stuart quite fancies the 25 minute "How to peel a potato" BUT if by "How to peel a potato (Italian version)" you mean how to peel Italian potatoes, which are usually large potatoes and make by far the best chips when they are in season (they are classed as "lates") then I would prefer that one.

However you may just mean that the it's the same film as the other one but with Italian subtitles

Tuttavia potete significare appena che il it' s la stessa pellicola altra di quella ma con i sottotitoli Italiani.

Especially the Norfolk School one, I know our moderator DaveH will be more than interested, he is the worlds leading authority on Norfolk School,

I think I am actually the worlds JOINT leading authority on Norfolk on Norfolk School.

I seem to remember there was this other kid in the same class as me called Stuart something or other who was pretty good too lol

10 Sheffield History members are ex students of Norfolk (at least that will admit to it).

Unless of course Cyberman is an ex Norfolk lad which would make 11 of us.

Yes Cyberman, we are definately interested in this film, especially as the school was demolished in 1997 and only the junior school remains standing.

Oh yes... I do also have some old footage of a School called 'Norfolk Comprehensive' which was taken quite a few years ago on an estate called the Arbourthorne and includes a pub called 'the Vulcan'?, but its a bit boring and not up to the standard of my other 'back kitchen productions'. Anyway if anyone is interested in it, i could always look it out and post it. I think it was shot in about 1982.

Best Regards, Cyberman

This sounds like a very interesting film for all us ex Norfolk school members and we would love to see it.

I would also love to see scenes of the only boozer I was ever barred from.

Did you make this film Cyberman?

Did you attend Norfolk School?

Was it filmed by a maths teacher at Norfolk called Eric Smith who made several short films while at the school?

There is a whole topic on Norfolk school here

I'm not sure that is possible Richard as the site only accepts a limited number of file types for upload (jpg, gif, png and pdf) none of which are video files.

Further, the maximum size of any uploaded file to the site is 2Mb, that is very small for a video file.

The personal videos I have made available to the site (The Dr. Dave & Mr. Big video) is uploaded into my own web space and this site merely contains a link to it as the file is about 40Mb in size.

I think Stuart has already indicated that videos need to be linked (or even embedded using a link) from another site and places like Youtube are ideal for this.

As would appear obvious I know next to nothing about YouTube and such modern magic ... my apologies for misleading Members.

I'll get mi cooat

Guest Cyberman

If anyone can get a word in DaveH... So many questions... So many posts and in so little a time! Wow. I'll try to answer some of your questions. The watcing the kettle boil film is 23 mins long in total. just the one kettle coming to the boil but the suspense of waiting for 22 minutes for it to actually boil is quite overwhelming, especially after the first 20 minutes when i remember to turn it on at the switch. The using the kitchen tap is just the one tap and basically someone using it. That ones 25 minutes long but it is a very big tap. The how to peel a potato films are slightly shorter in length at 22 minutes 37 seconds each. There is no sound to either film but the Italian version is filmed with some pasta in the background. The filming of the school was done by accident... It was filmed on an old Video 8 tape after my dad had sent me out with it with the instruction to film something to show him what my hobbies were and to make it comprehensive. So, hence the filming of pub and the school. I actually shot it 1984 not 1982 as i had originally thought. Sorry got to go now... will try and find the old vid 8 tape and transfer it to digital and post up some links to my sheffield kitchen productions as soon as I can.

Best regards, Cyberman

Guest Cyberman

Oh yes, just a quick question... Why does my uploaded photo not show up. It shows up in my profile but not on the forum??? :wacko:

Regards, Cyberman

Oh yes, just a quick question... Why does my uploaded photo not show up. It shows up in my profile but not on the forum??? :wacko:

Regards, Cyberman

They are two independent images.

To add an Avatar (the one that displays in posts)

go to 'My Profile' then 'Edit my Profile' and 'Change Avatar'

then 'Save Changes'

The Italian version is filmed with some pasta in the background.

Potatoes and Pasta are both high starch carbohydrate foods so don't go that well together <_<

Tagliatelli and chips anyone? :huh:

Now I nice bottle of a good Tuscan wine like a Cianti or a Montepulciano in the background B) ;-)

If anyone can get a word in DaveH... So many questions... So many posts and in so little a time! Wow.

Sorry, - it's what comes of having a full time job and trying to do a fair bit on this forum at the same time.

I usually check for new posts in my dinner hour at work, using works computers but without logging on, which I am not allowed to do.

When I get home, have had my tea (having spent 25 minutes to turn a tap on to fill the kettle, another 25 minutes to boil it and a further 25 minutes to peel some potatoes lol ) and done some "homework" I then have about 2 hours spare to make posts in the evening.

As I already know what most of the new posts that day are by looking at work and having had time to think about my replies I can usually make the replies in the time I have available.

Guest Cyberman

Hi DaveH, Just wondered if you know what ever happened to the old rag & tag market in Dixon lane. Last time I was in that area (a while ago now) it was still an open area that was being used as a car park. As far as I can recall everytime I have seen it, it had never been built on since the days of the rag & tag. Is that correct or has something been built, then knocked down again between my in frequent visits to Sheffield? It seems from reading these forums that if anyone knows... your da man!

Regards, Cyberman

Also can I upload a banner like the arbourthorne one you have directly from my computer or can it only be done by the rubbishy http// link thingymajig :angry:

Hi DaveH, Just wondered if you know what ever happened to the old rag & tag market in Dixon lane. Last time I was in that area (a while ago now) it was still an open area that was being used as a car park. As far as I can recall everytime I have seen it, it had never been built on since the days of the rag & tag. Is that correct or has something been built, then knocked down again between my in frequent visits to Sheffield? It seems from reading these forums that if anyone knows... your da man!

Regards, Cyberman

Also can I upload a banner like the arbourthorne one you have directly from my computer or can it only be done by the rubbishy http// link thingymajig :angry:

I don't know about me "being da man", Stuart only said I was the World's leading authority on Norfolk School, - not the whole of Sheffield and I am sure there are many members on here that know a lot more than me on particular subjects.

However, as far as I know from last time I went to the Dixon Lane area the site of the old rag and tag is now the Ibis Hotel and it's car park, so most of it is still a car park. But that hotel must have been built at some point. Sure someone else can give you a better and more complete answer.

My banner is done using "the rubbishy http// link thingymajig".

It is not a banner as such, it is a section of a photo I took of the "banner" which was hung up outside the spires centre on East Bank Road (You will know it as that other Arbourthorne school, Hurlfield, which became (in order) part of Ashleigh, Myrtle Springs school and finally Springs Academy.

However the banner shaped photo section is hosted in my own web space (like some of my videos) and linked using the http// link.

When I first uploaded it was miles too big and went off the end of the screen so I had to "rescale" it.

Hope that helps.

However, as far as I know from last time I went to the Dixon Lane area the site of the old rag and tag is now the Ibis Hotel and it's car park, so most of it is still a car park. But that hotel must have been built at some point. Sure someone else can give you a better and more complete answer.

Went to Castle Market this morning so stopped off to take this picture

I am stood with my back against the railings which are stopping me falling into Sheaf Street and the "magic roundabout"

The view is up Broad Street and then straight up Dixon Lane in the distance. The Norfolk Arms is still there at the bottom of Dixon lane and appears to be still open.

The Travelodge hotel is in front of the ols Woolworths building so must be on the site previously occupied, from the early 1970's by Sheaf Market.

On the other side of the road is the Ibis Hotel and its car park.

This is the site of the old rag and tag open air market and market hall.

Just looking at Dave's photo, it could actually be in any cosmopolitan city now. The rag and tag was the pot bloke shouting his wares. The pet store, not Maces but at the corner, just full of straw when you walked in (obviously not good) where you could buy baby alligators, (never mind New York, Sheffield sewers must be rife with wildlife now). I think cyberman may be having a gentle poke at us Sheffield fanatics. Apologies if you are not cyberman. All our electrics in Spain take 25 minutes to do anything. We have satellite everything. My minutemen are bubbling even as we speak....... :P

Just looking at Dave's photo, it could actually be in any cosmopolitan city now. The rag and tag was the pot bloke shouting his wares. The pet store, not Maces but at the corner, just full of straw when you walked in (obviously not good) where you could buy baby alligators, (never mind New York, Sheffield sewers must be rife with wildlife now). I think cyberman may be having a gentle poke at us Sheffield fanatics. Apologies if you are not cyberman. All our electrics in Spain take 25 minutes to do anything. We have satellite everything. My minutemen are bubbling even as we speak....... :P

Bye the bye, don´t like the reference to smog. Sheffield was at some point (I think in the 70's) voted the cleanest industrial city in Europe, probably due to the large amount of green spaces, parks etc. I´m sure there isn´t any smog there now at all, due to no industry, etc.