Porter Brook In The City Centre

Guest lisahendally

Guest lisahendally

I am a student looking at the Porter Brook within the City Centre, from where it is culverted near Wards Brewery (as was), until it reaches the station. I would be very grateful for any information / photos / memories / leads in connection with the brook.

In particular I am interested in the sites between Mary street and Sylvester Street / Sydney Street. Recentrly someone very conveniently pulled down the some of the hoarding to the Sylvester Gardens area, allowing me to get some photos of the site and the brook, however I can't find any information on the current route of the brook (underground).

Anything to do with the brook or the industry surrounding it would be really appreciated.

Thanks

I am a student looking at the Porter Brook within the City Centre, from where it is culverted near Wards Brewery (as was), until it reaches the station. I would be very grateful for any information / photos / memories / leads in connection with the brook.

In particular I am interested in the sites between Mary street and Sylvester Street / Sydney Street. Recentrly someone very conveniently pulled down the some of the hoarding to the Sylvester Gardens area, allowing me to get some photos of the site and the brook, however I can't find any information on the current route of the brook (underground).

Anything to do with the brook or the industry surrounding it would be really appreciated.

Thanks

I seem to remember that in the early 80s Jarvis Cocker tried to walk the riverbed including going through some of the tunnels, told to me by a joint friend

Guest lisahendally

Thanks!

There are some great photos showing the culverts taken by various people who have walked the Porter Brook on this web site http://www.28dayslater.co.uk. I haven't been able to confirm which photo is where though!

There is quite a detailed report of an archaeological survey done of the Hawk Works on Mary Street (parallel to St Mary's Road, and joins Shoreham Street) which bordered on the Porter Brook, and it covers the watercourses in the area. The link is is:

http://archaeologyda...t1-101901_1.pdf

A brief extract is as follows:

The ‘Sinderheap wheel’, to the east of the site, was recorded among the ‘wheels in the Pastures’ in 1588. The Sinderheap Wheel was a cutlers’ workshop, which was fed by a goit or artificial watercourse that channelled water from the Porter Brook at the west. The goit crossed the future site of the Hawk Works and is the earliest known feature within the site. The date of the goit’s construction is unknown; however, as the Sinderheap Wheel was water-powered, the channel is likely to have been constructed in association with the mill’s original development. As an artificial water course, the goit may have contained stone or wood-lined sections, perhaps around the waterwheel and at the head and tail.

Guest Barbara M

Thanks

My Aunt & Uncle lived in Angus Square ( just off Summerfield Street ) & as a child in approx 1947 , my mother took me to look at the River Porter , it ran across the bottom of their yard , also at the junction with Ecclesall Rd & London Rd she lifted me up to see the river , I think it was next to a bank which was on that corner.

Have you seen the posts on the " Megatron " I think it's called, the culvert which takes the river Porter under the railway station to the river Don....they are very interesting !!