Jump to content

Ww1 Memorials & Rolls Of Honour


Recommended Posts

Guest Trefcon

St. Georges, Brookhill. (no images as yet)

From Canon Odom’s Memorials of Sheffield;-

‘Part of the War Memorial consists of fine oak panelling on either side of the chancel front bearing the names of 196 members of the congregation and parishioners who fell in the Great War. The other part of the memorial takes the form of a Young Peoples Institute and Parochial Rooms in Brook Hill, purchased and improved at a cost of £2,000. It is proposed to erect on the vacant land a Memorial Hall.’

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Trefcon

Christ Church Attercliffe. (where is this memorial now ?)

From Canon Odom’s Memorials of Sheffield;-

‘The War Memorial consists of oak reredos and panelling, richly carved, together with panels framed in oak bearing the names of ‘members of this Church and congregation who responded to the call of their King and Country during the Great War 1914-18.’

The cost was about £300.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Trefcon

St. Philips, Shalesmoor.

From Canon Odom’s Memorials of Sheffield;-

‘It is proposed to build a War Memorial Hall on part of the land’

(This land was at the corner of Upperthorpe road and Oxford street)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Trefcon

St. Thomas's, Crookes.

Memorial window.

From Canon Odom’s Memorials of Sheffield;-

‘Army Surgeon succouring to the wounded – in memory of Charles Cecil Wildman Mays. R.A.M.C., ‘For 13 years a surgeon in this parish. He lost his life in the service of his country, Jan.25,1918, in the 40th year of his life.’

Roll of Honour.

'The fine War Memorial consists of three alabaster tablets set in an arcade of three arches supported by slender pillars of green marble, the whole being recessed in the east wall of the north aisle. On the panels are the names of 211 men who fell in the Great War. The inscription is as follows: ‘In gratitude to Almighty God for the victorious issue of the Great European War, 1914-1918, and in loving memory of those who from this parish and congregation laid down their lives in the conflict and whose names are her inserted this Memorial is erected.’

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Trefcon

Holy Trinity Church, Darnall.

From Canon Odoms Memorials of Sheffield

‘In the chancel is the very handsome War Memorial of white marble in carved oak frame of Gothic design, with the inscription : ‘In gratitude to God for a great deliverance this tablet was erected by the people of Darnall to keep alive the memory of our men who fought and fell in the Great War 1914-1918.’ It contains 194 names, and cost £168.

This roll of honour is 'lost'.

Knightstemplar of this forum made it her holy grail to find it. Together we put together a 'modern' list of names to try and commemorate the men of Darnall.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Trefcon

St. Stephen's Church, Fawcett street.

From Canon Odoms Memorials of Sheffield

‘The Church has three War Memorials. On the south side of the nave is a beautiful white marble tablet erected by Charles Percy and Lily Styring in memory of their son, Frank Rusby Styring. In the memorial the donors generously associate with their son the names of twenty-three other members of S. Stephen’s congregation whose names are given, and also three of his school friends ‘who gave up their young lives freely and courageously in the Great War, 1914-1918, for the cause of righteousness, justice and freedom.’ In the Churchyard facing Fawcett street is a massive stone cross fifteen feet high with the inscription : ‘ To the glorious memory of those parishioners and members of St. Stephen’s who fell in the War 1914-1919. Their names are on the Roll of Honour in the church.’

In the Church porch is a large oak memorial on the panels of which are inscribed the names of 240 men who fell. The two last-named cost £222. The cleaning and repair of the memorials are secured by a small endowment.

In the Parish Room is a carved oak tablet erected by their fellow-members in grateful memory of seventeen members of the Young Men’s Society who laid down their lives in the Great War.’

The Roll bearing the 240 names, Harry Foers personal memorial and the Young Mens Society Roll are now on the walls of a blocked off stairway, it is very tight on there and wasn't easy to get really decent images. The 240 name Roll being the hardest to photograph so i came away without a full head on image.

240 name Roll -

and a section of the 5 columns of names -

Young Mens Society Roll -

Harry Foers personal memorial -

These are believed to be the St Anns, Hoyle street panels.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Trefcon

St. Michael's and All Angel's, Neepsend. (where is this Roll of Honour now ?)

From Canon Odoms Memorials of Sheffield

‘The War Memorial in the Lady Chapel consists of a large brass containing 162 names, with the inscription; ‘This tablet is erected in grateful memory of the men of this parish and congregation of St. Michael’s, Neepsend, who gave their lives for their Country in the Great War 1914-1918. May they rest in peace.’

The cost was £170.

What i do have is this preliminary list of names to be inscribed on the memorial, that was sent out to parishioners.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Trefcon

St. Andrew's, Sharrow. (no image as yet)

From Canon Odoms Memorials of Sheffield

‘Two white marble tablets in panelled-oak framework contain the names of 103 parishioners and members of the congregation who fell in the Great War; above are the words: ‘Their name liveth for evermore.’

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Trefcon

St. Silas, Gilcar. (no image as yet)

From Canon Odoms Memorials of Sheffield

‘The War Memorial consists of a large and beautiful oak tablet on the north side of the vestibule. Five panels contain the names of 223 men of the parish who gave their lives in the Great War. It was erected at a cost of £206.’

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Trefcon

St. John the Baptist, Owlerton. (no image as yet)

From Canon Odoms Memorials of Sheffield (no image as yet)

‘The War Memorial in the south aisle consists of a finely carved oak frame of Gothic design on the panels of which are the names of 244 men who fell in the Great War. The cost was £75.

A War Memorial Hall was proposed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Trefcon

St. Bartholomew's, Carbrook. (no images, where are the memorials now? )

From Canon Odoms Memorials of Sheffield (no image as yet)

‘Two beautifully-engraved brass book desks on the communion table are memorials to ‘Herbert Edwin (late chorister), killed in action, France, November 24, 1917, son of R.H. Savage, organist of this Church.’

The large brass alms dish was presented in memory of ‘Sergeant Hubert Cocker, who died of malaria at Rawal Pundi, India, on September 21, 1919.’

‘The War Memorial includes an oak tablet bearing the names of sixty-three parishioners who fell in the Great War.’

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Trefcon

St. Barnabas, Highfields.

From Canon Odoms Memorials of Sheffield

'The War Memorial consists of a set of eight chiming bells and a beautifully-executed tablet of Sicilian marble in the north aisle recording the names of 187 men who fell in the Great War. The total cost was £827.'

From 'St. Barnabas Church Sheffield, A tale of fifty years' by Eric S. Roberts.

Those who mourn a dear one 'missing in the Great War', are comforted by a copy of a picture by F. Matania, R.I., 'It may be,' which hangs near the door. It was a gift to the church by Mr. Eric S. Roberts, the frame being given and made by Mr. Else. It depicts a cluster of sorrowful personages looking down at the Unknown Warrior's grave in Westminster Abbey.

Going up the side of the aisle we find on the wall to our left beautiful memorials. The first is the War Memorial! It is a tablet of Sicilian marble, designed by Mr. J.H. Stevens, architect, and executed by F. Tory & Sons, the cost being £824 16s. 1d. It contains 188 names, all glory be to them, and was unveiled by the Rt. Hon. Sir Samuel Roberts, Bart., D.L., JP., on Sunday, January 11th, 1920, and dedicated by the Bishop of Sheffield. On the base of the memorial is as follows : - 'By subscription, a peal of eight bells was placed in the church tower, in conjunction with this tablet, and as a thank offering for Peace.'

These bells were dedicated by Canon Richard Blakeney (the Vicar of Melton Mowbray, and now Canon of Peterborough) on Sunday, May 16th, 1920. On Easter Sunday, 1921, a bracket, placed under the memorial tablet for flowers, was unveiled by Mr. Eric S. Roberts, and dedicated by the vicar, the Rev. J. St. Leger Blakeney. It is of carved oak, the words 'Lest forgotten' being at the back. It is the design of Mr. J.H. Stevenson, and executed by F. Tory & Sons. On a brass plate may be read : 'In remembrance of John Watson Richardson (Major), and officers, N.C.O,s and men, 2/4th (H.) York and Lancs. Regt., who fell in the Great War, 1914-1919. The bracket was erected by Eric Samuel Roberts.'

One very pathetic memorial is to be found on the second column, on the right hand side of the nave, the wording on which is as follows : -

'To the Glory of God and in dear memory of the two beloved sons of Dr. C. N. Gwynne, of Highfield House, Sheffield, who were baptised in this church, and gave their lives for their country in the dawn of their manhood. John Fitzgerald Gwynne, M.B., Sheffield, Captain R.A.M.C., and 1st Hampshire Regiment. Awarded the Military Cross for Valour. Shot while tending the wounded in the trenches at Ypres, July 9th, 1915, and buried at Boesinghe, aged 26. Owen Perrot Gwynne, 2nd Lieut. 92nd Punjabis, commissioned from the Ceylon Planters Rifle Corps. Fought at the battle of Ismailia. Cabled December 31st, 1915, 'All well.' Fell in action Jan. 17th, 1916 at Sheik Saad, Mesopotamia, aged 25.

'Death is swallowed up in victory'

This tablet is erected by their mother. Sorrow not as others who have no hope.'

Last I heard it was at St. Mary's, Bramall lane. It being smashed to bits in the blitz.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Trefcon

St. Matthias, Summerfield street. (no images as yet)

From Canon Odoms Memorials of Sheffield

‘The War Memorial consists of a carved communion table and reredos, with lofty oak panelling on each side, erected at a cost of £520; the sum for the communion table was contributed and collected by the scholars and teachers of the Sunday School.

A brass plate in the baptistery bears the names of seventy-nine men who fell in the Great War.’

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Trefcon

St. Annes, Hoyle street.

From Canon Odoms Memorials of Sheffield

‘The War Memorial consists of two morsatile tablets in oak frames on the west wall. Under the words, ‘In sacred memory of the men of S. Anne’s parish who made the supreme sacrifice in the Great War, 1914-19.’ are the names of the fallen, numbering 121. Also the installation of the electric light in the Parish Room – total cost £190.’

Are these the panels, that are now at St Stephens, Fawcett street ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Trefcon

St. Peter's, Abbeydale. (no images as yet)

From Canon Odoms Memorials of Sheffield

‘The side Chapel forms the War Memorial. The beautiful carved oak screen of the Chapel was a thanks-offering by Mr. and Mrs. James W. Gould, Holmcliffe, ;for the safe return of their sons from the Great War 1914-19.’

The Roll of Honour in panelled oak on the west wall of the chapel, inscribed with the names of 123 men who fell in the war, was given by Mr. Joseph Kendrick. The oak seats in the Chapel to the memory of Cromwell Wiley Hartley, steeple-jack, were the gift of his widow, 1919. On the west side of the Chapel is a stained window – The Great Reward – in memory of Captain Rupert Basil Wooler, who fell in the war, and Thomas Cyril Wooler, the gift of their parents.

A second window at the east end –S. Peter feeding the Lambs – was given by Sunday scholars as part of the War Memorial.

The fine lofty oak panelling at the east end of the sanctuary was the gift of Henry Hemingway, a thank-offering for the safe return of his son from the war; he also undertook the cost of the extensive and tasteful decoration of the chancel and sanctuary. The credence table was the gift of Mrs. Hemingway, and the carved oak litany desk that of H.R. Hemingway. The fittings for the electric light, provided by the congregation, were voluntarily fixed by W.F. Barnby and his son Robert.’

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Trefcon

St. Augustine's, Endcliffe. (all images Peter Bayliss)

From Canon Odoms Memorials of Sheffield

Memorial window featuring Sir Galahad.

'in memory of Captain Stanley Phillips, killed in action 15 September, 1916, aged twenty-six.'

The War Memorial, set up at a cost of £600, consisted of a beautifully carved Chancel Screen surmounted by a Cross. Running along the top, carved in oak, are the words; 'This Screen was erected by the congregation of S. Augustine's in memory of the men from this parish who died for England in the Great War 1914-18. 'The noble army of martyrs praise Thee, O God.'

Below on each side are alabaster tablets with the names of fifty-seven men who fell in the Great War.

In the south aisle is a carved oak tablet bearing the names of twelve members of the 25th (S. Augustine's) Sheffield Company of the Boys' Brigade who fell in the war, erected by the comrades of their company.'

Memorial Window to Capt. John Roberts, MC.

A richly coloured cover to the font was in 1918 dedicated by Herbert and Anne Toothill, 'In loving memory of our dear nephews, John Toothill Barr, 7th Fusiliers, who was killed in action on 23 April, 1917, at Oppy Wood ; and James Stanley Bissett, 28th Canadians, who died of wounds received at Passchendaele'

Processional Cross presented by Dr. G. Elam 14/12/1919, more than likely to Lieut. Charles Elam who appears on the memorial plaques.

Clergy seat, part of the Rood Screen memorial, inscription reads, 'TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN PIOUS MEMORY OF LOVED ONES DEPARTED'

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Trefcon

St. Timothy's, Crookes. (no images as yet)

From Canon Odoms Memorials of Sheffield –

‘The south transcept was in 1920 fitted up as a War Memorial Chapel at a cost of £573, a fine carved oak screen dividing it from the nave. On the left side is a large oak tablet with the inscription : ‘To the glory of God and in holy and loving memory of those whose names are inscribed below who died in the Great War 1914-1919 that we might live – ‘So he passed over and all the trumpets sounded for him on the other side,’ The names number 106. On the right side is another very large oak tablet bearing the names of the parishioners who returned home, having, ‘obeyed the call of King and country and served on land, sea, and air in the Great War.’ Below is text : ‘O God, Thou strength of my health; Thou hast covered my head in the day of battle,’

The three-light window of the Chapel has figures of S. Michael, S. Gabriel, and S. Uriel, presented by Mrs. K. Jeffery in memory of her husband.’

In the south aisle is a two-light window – S. James : Gethsemane – inscribed, ‘To the glory of God and in memory of James Schofield, R.F.A., who fell in action in Flanders on S. James’ Day, 1917. ‘The souls of the righteous are in the hands of God. They shall not grow old.’ It was presented by his wife.’

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Trefcon

St. Albans, Darnall. (no images as yet, does it still survive ?)

From Canon Odoms Memorials of Sheffield –

‘a Memorial Tablet with the names of 150 men of the parish who fell in the Great War. The cost was £78.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Trefcon

St. Nathanael's, Crookesmoor. (no images as yet, do these still survive ?)

From Canon Odoms Memorials of Sheffield –

‘a Memorial Tablet with the names of 150 men of the parish who fell in the Great War. The cost was £78.'

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Trefcon

St. Paul's, Norton Lees. (no image as yet )

From Canon Odoms Memorials of Sheffield –

‘The War Memorial consists of a fine marble tablet on the north side with the inscription : ‘To the glory of God and to commemorate the part taken by all men from this parish in the European War of 1914-18,’ The names of the eighty men who fell are inscribed on the panels of the old reredos refixed at the west end of the Church. The total cost was £60.’

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Trefcon

St. Chad's, Norton Woodseats.

From Canon Odoms Memorials of Sheffield -

‘The War Memorial consists of a tablet of Sicilian marble in memory of 120 men of the parish who fell, erected at a cost of £200.’

From Canon Odoms Memorials of Sheffield –

‘The beautiful brass ‘Angel’ lectern bears the inscription : ‘Presented to S. Chad’s Church. Woodseats, Sheffield, by Mr. and Mrs. Hinckley to the honour and glory of God, in loving memory of their dear son Douglas Roy Hinckley, Lieut. 12th York and Lancaster Regiment, killed in action, France, January 13, 1917. He was an ardent worker in S. Chad’s Mission.’ The carved oak lectern platform was presented by his brothers.’

From Canon Odoms Memorials of Sheffield –

‘In the south aisle are stained windows; one represents the Lord’s Supper; and a ‘Field Communion,’ immediately before going into action – ‘erected by Mr. and Mrs. A.G. Hardbord, in memory of their son Lieut. C. Gordon Hardbord, 14th York and Lanc. Killed in France. 1 Sept, 1916. Was confirmed and worshipped in this Church.’

Lieut. Harbords name appears on the cross at the top of the window.

This plaque appears on the wall below the window.

Also in the church there is a memorial Vestment Chest dedicated to Tom Alford. (Vestments are the cloths used to drape over the alter)

And a Processional Cross made from a shell from the Somme.

The inscription reads -

A thank offering from CD and NA Birks.

Cross made from

shell used in the

Great War

1918

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...