Jump to content

Ww1 Memorials & Rolls Of Honour


Recommended Posts

Guest Trefcon

St Thomas Roll of Honour, Wincobank.

From Canon Odoms Memorials of Sheffield –

‘The War Memorial, a fine marble tablet, bears the names of eighty-two men who fell in the Great War, and was erected at a cost of £130.’

From Canon Odoms Memorials of Sheffield – (no images as yet of these)

‘On the south side is an extremely beautiful tablet of marble with the inscription : ‘In affectionate memory of Ernest Mason Adlington, 2nd Lieut. 13th Battn. West Yorkshire Regiment, beloved and only child of Wilfred and Sarah Ann Adlington, the Woodlands, Wincobank, who fell in action leading his men in a successful attack upon the ‘Wonderwork’ near Thiepval, France, Sept. 14, 1916, in his 20th year. His life for his country, his soul to God.’

Another memorial is inscribed : ‘To the glory of God and in dear memory of George Jackson A.B. – R.N.V.R. who lost his life in the torpedoing of H.M.S. Britannia, 9 November, 1918. This tablet was placed her by the Young Men’s Friendly Society and the Sunday Schools.’

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Trefcon

Stocksbridge West End Primitive Methodist Roll of Honour.

Note Lucy Castledine on the roll, there is a bit about her in the 'Sheffield Nightingale' thread.

From a Jubilee Year publication for the Church -

'On the 11th November 1918 the long-awaited Armistice was signed and the noise of warfare ceased, but, alas, like most Churches we were sadly aware that a number of our members who had gone forth to serve their King and Country would never renew their membership and in the course of the following year a tablet was affixed to the east wall of the Church in memory of the following members who had made the supreme sacrifice : -

There then follows a list of those on the memorial above.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Trefcon

Wadsley Parish Church Roll of Honour.

From Canon Odoms Memorials of Sheffield –

‘The War Memorial consists of a handsome mosaic tablet framed in oak on the south wall bearing the names of fifty-six men of the parish who fell in the Great War, erected at a cost of £93.’

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Trefcon

Wharncliffe Side School Roll of Honour.

Originally in the old school on Manchester road. Then it was moved to Brightholme Lea Chapel before being transferred to the modern school.

Unveiled by Miss Mabel Dixon whose father was Joseph Dixon of Dixons paper mills. The High Commissioner of New Zealand was also present, being a guest of Joseph Dixon.

Memorial paid for by public subscription.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Trefcon

St Aidans Memorial, Wharncliffe Hospital.

Inscription -

DURING THE GREAT WAR

OF 1914 -1919 THIS BUILDING WAS

ESTABLISHED AND MAINTAINED

AS A HOSPITAL FOR BRITISH

SICK AND WOUNDED : THE ARMY

COUNCIL IN THE NAME OF THE

NATION THANK THOSE WHO HAVE

RENDERED TO IT THIS VALUABLE

AND PATRIOTIC ASSISTANCE IN

THE HOUR OT ITS EMERGENCY

AND THEY DESIRE ALSO TO EXPRESS

THEIR DEEP APPRECIATION OF THE

WHOLE-HEARTED ATTENTION

WHICH THE STAFF OF THIS HOSPITAL

GAVE TO THE PATIENTS WHO WERE

UNDER THEIR CARE : THE WAR HAS

ONCE AGAIN CALLED UPON THE

DEVOTION AND SELF SACRIFICE

OF BRITISH MEN AND WOMEN

AND THE NATION WILL REMEMBER

WITH PRIDE AND GRATITUDE

THEIR WILLING AND

INESTIMABLE SERVICE

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Trefcon

Hillsborough Tabernacle Roll of Honour, Proctor road. Now Hillsborough United Gospel and Mission Church.

(Robert Smith)

Original church destroyed in the blitz of WW2. The memorial was saved from the ruins. It was originally unveiled by a Mrs. Reed in April 1922. The Rev. R. Miller gave the address.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Trefcon

Ranmoor War Memorial, St Johns. (images Peter Bayliss)

From Canon Odoms Memorials of Sheffield: -

'The War Memorial in the Churchyard consists of a massive Runic Cross, sixteen feet high, of unpolished Cornish granite, with carved panels on front and back, designed by Mr. A.F. Watson, Sheffield. On it are inscribed the names of the fifty-nine men of the parish who fell; and the words:

'To the Glory of God and in memory of the men of Ranmoor who gave their lived for honour and freedom in the Great War 1914-1918'

There is also affixed to a pillar in the Church a brass tablet containing the names of the fallen men -

Also at St. Johns is a plaque in the bell tower commemorating the end of the war. (no image as yet)

'The Yorkshire Association and Sheffield Distict Society of Change Ringers'

In commemoration of the victorious conclusion of the Great European War and of the ratification of the peace treaty with the central Empires. A peal of Grandsire Triples 5040 changes ( Holts Ten Part ) was rung in this tower in 2Hrs 56 Min on Saturday Jan. 17th 1920'

Also in the tower, a memorial plaque to Arthur Ward -

'To the Glory of God and in affectionate memory of Arthur Ward Pte. 14th York & Lancs. Killed in action at Arras (Gavrell) July 1st 1916 aged 24yrs'

erected by fellow bell ringers of St. Johns.

A stained glass memorial window featuring Joshua and Gideon.

‘given by Mr. and Mrs. R. Colver in memory of their two sons, Edward and Henry, both killed in the war.’

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Trefcon

Clifford road School Psalter lane.

There is another roll of honour here but no image as yet.

And also the plaque to Arnold Loosemore VC. This plaque was originally unveiled at St. Andrews, Sharrow on 24th July 1925 by Lieut. Col. A.L. Mowlett DSO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Trefcon

St. Clements, Newhall.

This memorial window was unveiled at St. Clements to be a war memorial in 1917. After demolishion in 1963 the window was exported to All Saints church, Ainslie, Canberra, Australia. All Saints rededicated it as their WW2 memorial.

Designed by the Kemp Studio.

From Canon Odoms Memorials of Sheffield –

‘The War Memorial to 154 men who fell in the Great War consists of an extremely beautiful stained ‘Kempe’ window at the east end, erected at a cost of £600. The main subject is the Great Sacrifice on the Cross. In the central light is represented the Crucifixion; on the two adjacent lights are the figures of S. Mary and S. John. In other lights are S. Clement, the Patron Saint of the Church, with his emblem, an anchor; ans S. Peter with the emblematic keys and an open book with the text S. Matthew xvi, 16, ‘Thou art the Christ, ‘ &c. In other parts are smaller figures representing S. Michael and the Dragon, David, Isaiah, Zachariah, and Daniel, each with a scroll on which is a text referring to the Great Sacrifice. There are also subordinate figures of the Prophets Joel, Micah, Amos, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, and Malachi.

In the base appears the inscription, ‘Remember ye with thanksgiving and all honour before God and man those who went forth from Newhall to the Great War 1914-19, and returned not again.’

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...