Jump to content

Ww1 Memorials & Rolls Of Honour


Recommended Posts

Guest Trefcon

Christ Church, Fulwood. ( no images as yet )

From Canon Odom’s Memorials of Sheffield;-

‘Near the porch is a Roll of Honour, in a carved oak frame, with the names on brass of sixty-three parishioners who fell in the Great War, erected at a cost of £150.

Fulwood War Memorial.

From Canon Odoms Memorials of Sheffield:-

'The parochial War Memorial, just outside the Churchyard, is a lofty Gothic decorated cross twenty-two feet high, designed by Mr. H.L. Paterson, of Sheffield, and stands on a site given by Mr. James Dixon. A plate gives the names of the men of Fulwood who ‘died for freedom and for honour.’

Personal memorial plaque to John Gilbert Hall

(Peter Bayliss)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Trefcon

Sheffield Cathedral.

From Canon Odoms Memorials of Sheffield:-

'On the old reredos, now in the north transcept, is a memorial ‘in loving memory of the members of this Church who laid down their lives in the Great War.’ It bears the names of forty-two men who fell.'

I've yet to find and photograph this.

3rd General Hospital Memorial.

Freemasons Roll of Honour.

The Reredos.

From Canon Odom’s Memorials of Sheffield;-

‘The reredos erected in 1920 by the Freemasons, as part of their War Memorial, has large carved figures in half-relief representing in the centre our Lord, and on either side of this S. John the Divine and S. John the Baptist. Other figures represent S. Peter and S. Paul, to whom the Cathedral is dedicated; also S. James the Great, S. James the Less, S. Andrew, S. Philip, S. Bartholomew, S. Thomas, S. Mathew, and S. Matthias. The whole is decorated in gold and colour. On the lower panels are Masonic emblems. At the same time the sanctuary and chancel were repaved with white flags and a new communion table in carved oak and sixteen stalls of oak for the canons were erected as parts of the Memorial’

‘On the north wall of the sanctuary is a tablet of alabaster and brass surmounted by Masonic emblems and bearing the names of forty-one Sheffield Freemasons and Lewises.

City Battalion Roll of Honour.

From Canon Odom's Memorials of Sheffield:-

'In the south aisle is a stone tablet inlaid to the memory of officers and men of the 12th Battalion York and Lancaster Regiment (Sheffield City Battalion), ‘who at the call of duty and in the cause of freedom nobly made the supreme sacrifice.’ The tablet was erected by the survivors of the battalion.'

Police and Fire Brigade Roll of Honour.

From Canon Odoms Memorials of Sheffield:-

'In the ‘Parker transcept’ is a tablet of alabaster and mosaic bearing the names of twenty-four members of the Sheffield City Police Force and Fire Brigade who gave their lives. The tablet was erected by their comrades.’

Hallamshires Memorial.

8th - 9th Battalion York and Lancaster Memorial Plaque.

From Canon Odoms Memorials of Sheffield:-

'In the north aisle is an oak tablet with the badge of the York and Lancaster Regiment to the memory of the fallen officers and men of the 8th and 9th Battalions of the regiment.’

St Georges Hall, York and Lancaster Chapel.

Memorial Pews.

To Capt. J. F. Mott.

Salonika Dinner Club.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Trefcon

St Bartholomews, Primrose View, Langsett road.

From Canon Odoms Memorials of Sheffield

‘The War Memorial consists of a white marble tablet in the south aisle bearing the names of 201 men who fell in the Great War, having on each side a stained glass window, one with the figure of S.George, for the army; the other with that of S. Nicholas, for the navy. The cost was £200.'

Obviously this has been re-framed as the original church was demolished. Wonder where the stained glass went ?

‘There is also a marble tablet to the members of the Boys’ Brigade who fell in the war.’

(no image of this as yet, does it still exist ? )

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Trefcon

These are now at St Georges, Brookhill.

All Saints, Pitsmoor, Roll of Honour.

From Canon Odoms Memorials of Sheffield

‘The War Memorial, of Sicilian marble, erected at a cost of £150, is inscribed with the names of 186 men. It bears the following inscription : ‘In ever-grateful and loving memory of the Men of All Saints’ Church and parish who gave their lives in the Great War 1914-1918. ‘Their name liveth for evermore.’

St Lukes (Hollis Croft)

From Canon Odoms Memorials of Sheffield

‘The War Memorial is a large tablet in oak with names of 116 men who fell in the Great War; in addition to which the electric light was installed – total cost £140.’

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...