Ww1 Memorials & Rolls Of Honour

Guest Trefcon

Guest Trefcon

Westbury and Cottingham street Roll of Honour. (Attercliffe)

Not quite sure of the original location of this roll, or its subsequent location prior to being lost in the blitz.

(many thanks to janem)

Guest Trefcon

Handsworth Wesleyan Cricket Club Roll of Honour.

No idea where the original is now. This was at Handsworth Wesleyan Methodist Chruch. Many thanks to Sandra Gillott.

Guest akademik

Hi there, 'Trefcon'

I'm still foraging for works by Robertson & Russell, stained glass or 'morsatile' (or other); see the Robertson & Russell topic on this forum.

It looks to me as if the two panels in St Stephen's Church, which as you indicate Canon Odom indeed calls "morsatile", are very much of the same kind as the morsatile WW1 memorials in Castle St post office and in Wadsley parish church. In the St Stephen's pix you publish, there does not seem to be any attribution to Robertson & Russell though.

If I am not mistaken, the pix of the St Stephen's morsatile tablets are not included in

http://www.sheffieldsoldierww1.co.uk/Memorial/Memorials.html

I wonder whether this is because it is still uncertain whether these tablets 'belong' to St Stephen's or to St Anne's? I note that the St Stephen's tablets say,

TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN

SACRED MEMORY OF THE MEN

OF THIS PARISH WHO FELL IN

THE GREAT WAR 1914 -1918

rather than what you cite from Canon Odom, " ‘In sacred memory of the men of S. Anne’s parish who made the supreme sacrifice in the Great War, 1914-19".

Guest Martin-Bacon

Does anyone know what has happened to the Sheffield Gas Co. war memorial?

It was located at Sheffield Gas Works office on Commercial Street, but was

moved to the EMGAS service centre on Upwell Street, which was demolished some

years ago. The site is under redevelopment now.

http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/ reference for the memorial is UKNIWM Ref: 27833

Is this the same memorial at British Gas, Transco House mentioned in a post by Sheffield History Admin on 20 January 2011 - 02:37 PM ?

Does anyone know what has happened to the Sheffield Gas Co. war memorial? It was located at Sheffield Gas Works office on Commercial Street, but was moved to the EMGAS service centre on Upwell Street, which was demolished some years ago. The site is under redevelopment now. http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/ reference for the memorial is UKNIWM Ref: 27833 Is this the same memorial at British Gas, Transco House mentioned in a post by Sheffield History Admin on 20 January 2011 - 02:37 PM ?

Hi Martin

Yes it is now located at Transco House, Effingham St, see this link to Sheffieldsoldierww1.co.uk

Loved looking at these War Memorials and was hoping to see an image of the Roll of Honour at Wadsley Church which two of my extended family are listed on,

Jenkinson. J. Died. Wadsley Parish Church Roll of Honour.

Jenkinson. W. Died. Wadsley Parish Church Roll of Honour.

Joseph & Willis were the brothers of my G.Grandmother, Mary Ellen Crawshaw (nee Jenkinson) and I would love to see a picture of the memorial showing their names if anyone has an image?

I now live in Bournemouth, Dorset so only occasionally get back to Sheffield.

Regards

Jeremy Crawshaw

Loved looking at these War Memorials and was hoping to see an image of the Roll of Honour at Wadsley Church which two of my extended family are listed on,

Jenkinson. J. Died. Wadsley Parish Church Roll of Honour.

Jenkinson. W. Died. Wadsley Parish Church Roll of Honour.

Joseph & Willis were the brothers of my G.Grandmother, Mary Ellen Crawshaw (nee Jenkinson) and I would love to see a picture of the memorial showing their names if anyone has an image?

I now live in Bournemouth, Dorset so only occasionally get back to Sheffield.

Regards

Jeremy Crawshaw

Hi Jeremy

I have an image, of Wadsley Church Memorial with both names on, I will upload to www1sheffieldsoldier.co.uk tonight, this one is still sat on the "TO DO" pile for the site.

either pm me your email address or contact me via the sheffieldsoldier site and I will let you have a copy

Stuart

Hi Jeremy

I have an image, of Wadsley Church Memorial with both names on, I will upload to www1sheffieldsoldier.co.uk tonight, this one is still sat on the "TO DO" pile for the site.

either pm me your email address or contact me via the sheffieldsoldier site and I will let you have a copy

Stuart

Image now uploaded to Sheffieldsoldier

http://www.sheffieldsoldierww1.co.uk/Memorial/Wadsley%20Church%20ROH.html

Jeremy contact me and I will send you a larger image

Potter Hill Roll of Honour as it was -

and as it is now.

Just noticed on the left hand panel (bottom):

Miss M Bell

Any further info on her or why shes on the memorial?

Just noticed on the left hand panel (bottom):

Miss M Bell

Any further info on her or why shes on the memorial?

Hi Richard

I have checked Deans database, and the only information is the Potter Hill ROH info.

Dean is not contactable this weekend, I will ask him next time I speak to him.

OK Stuart, cheers.

Its not a personal surname thing or anything like that, its just unusual and caught my eye and maybe might make a bit of interesting research.

Fulwood War Memorial.

I noticed today that the name DANCE is engraved on the cap stone of the pillar on the right of the Fulwood memorial. Not showing in this picture which is recent, so the name must be very recent. Does anyone know who this might be?

I noticed today that the name DANCE is engraved on the cap stone of the pillar on the right of the Fulwood memorial. Not showing in this picture which is recent, so the name must be very recent. Does anyone know who this might be?

Hi Mike

Is there any further information eg 1st name, date of death etc

Hi,

No other words or dates, just the word DANCE on the front face of the cap stone? Checked the other sides but nothing on those.

Hi,

No other words or dates, just the word DANCE on the front face of the cap stone? Checked the other sides but nothing on those.

Stone masons name or mark ?

Stone masons name or mark ?

But it wasn't there in the image used in the previous post, a picture that is fairly recent as it includes the drop kerb and knobly flag stones for those with visual impairments next to the bus stop.

Hi Stuart,

Thank you so much for that!

I've just visited the website and downloaded the Wadsley Memorial picture. Never seen this website before so now may start looking through for my CRAWSHAW rellies that died in the Great War.

Regards

Jeremy Crawshaw

But it wasn't there in the image used in the previous post, a picture that is fairly recent as it includes the drop kerb and knobly flag stones for those with visual impairments next to the bus stop.

When I was looking for Private Hanforth's grave from the grave reference I enquired at the church office and they put me in touch with the stonemason who looks after the churchyard memorials. Perhaps he might be the person to ask about any alterations/additions, even though the memorial isn't in the churchyard?

When I was looking for Private Hanforth's grave from the grave reference I enquired at the church office and they put me in touch with the stonemason who looks after the churchyard memorials. Perhaps he might be the person to ask about any alterations/additions, even though the memorial isn't in the churchyard?

I'll give it a go, Thanks

High quality photos of the War memorial at Holinsend part of Gleadless Christ Church grounds. Taken yesterday (23 May).

Christ Church, Heeley.

The Roll of Honour was unveiled on 4th March 1920 by Battery Sergeant Major J.C. Raynes VC.

From Canon Odoms Memorials of Sheffield

'The War Memorial consists of a large bronze tablet, on an oak base, on which are the names of 334 'men from the parish of Heeley who laid down their lives in the Great War.' The cost was £177.

On a pillar on the north side of the nave is a brass tablet 'To the memory of Reginald Pryce Jones, 2nd Lieut, York and Lancaster Rgt, Killed in action, Flanders, Oct. 19, 1917, aged 23 years. 'Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori.'

(Sweet and seemly is it to die for one's fatherland.' – Horace.)

(SteveHB)

Other memorials to those who died of wounds are a brass cross above the communion table to Lieut. W.F. Balcher, given by his mother; and a brass alms dish, in memory of Sergeant Thomas Thompson, the gift of his mother.' (no image as yet)

J C Raynes VC, Royal Field Artillery, Sheffield.