Greno House, Grenoside

Guest wynyard

Guest wynyard

A family photo identified as Greno House, with the address of 169 Grenoside, Furniss Sheffield, seems to be a mystery. The photo shows a 'grand' home, which we referred to as 'the castle' as kids. One of our family names is Bellhouse, and I notice this is the name of a road. Can you help with information about the house or the family? Any information is welcome, with thanks.

A family photo identified as Greno House, with the address of 169 Grenoside, Furniss Sheffield, seems to be a mystery. The photo shows a 'grand' home, which we referred to as 'the castle' as kids. One of our family names is Bellhouse, and I notice this is the name of a road. Can you help with information about the house or the family? Any information is welcome, with thanks.

Bellhouse road originates from the Bell Houses that were there before Firth Park existed. They were along Stubbin Lane and the area was mainly farming back in the 1800s.

Lyn

Kelly's 1893

Mrs Morton,

Greno House, Grenoside

----------------------------------------------------

SH Link

1849 Grenoside Residents

Elizabeth (Miss) Thirkill,

Greno House, Grenoside

-----------------------------------------------------

1852 Grenoside Residents

George Rider B.A.

Classical & Coml. Boarding Academy,

Greno House, Grenoside

-------------------------------------------------------

Picture Sheffield Link

This really is the most feeble reply ever ...

Mrs Morton, Greno House, Grenoside (Kelly's Directory of 1893)

Yup, that's it !

Might be worth 1891 and 1901 Census search for Morton ?

GREENOSIDE, or GRENOSIDE, a large village in Ecclesfield township and parish, W. R. Yorkshire; 2 miles N of Wadsley r. station, and 4½ N by W of Sheffield. It has a post office under Sheffield, schools, and a workhouse; and it carries on extensive industry in the cutlery trade, in iron founding, and in stone quarrying. Greno House and Greno Wood are in the vicinity.

(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Kelly's 1893

Mrs Morton,

Greno House, Grenoside

SH Link

1849 Grenoside Residents

Elizabeth (Miss) Thirkill,

Greno House, Grenoside

-----------------------------------------------------

1852 Grenoside Residents

George Rider B.A.

Classical & Coml. Boarding Academy,

Greno House, Grenoside

-------------------------------------------------------

Picture Sheffield Link

You sneaked this in while I was away Vox, nice one.

Pigot's 1834

Academies & Schools,

Not otherwise described are Day Schools.

* Bedford Jos. (gent's bdg) Skew hill

* Free School, Ecclesfield --- Joseph Bowler, master; Sarah Bowler, mistress

* Hawksley Sarah, Ecclesfield

* Lound Free School, Chapel Town --- Joel Hague, master

* Rider Geo. (gent's bdg) Greno house

* Spilling Ann (ladies' boarding) Ecclesfield

* Warburton Samuel (gent's brdng)

Also from Kelly's 1893, and perhaps of relevance given the "169 Grenoside Furniss Sheffield" identification of Wynyard's photograph:

George Furniss Spring knife maker Grenoside

Peter Furniss Spring knife maker Grenoside

Greno House can be seen near the bottom of Map 28

Pigot's 1834

Academies & Schools,

Not otherwise described are Day Schools.

* Bedford Jos. (gent's bdg) Skew hill

* Free School, Ecclesfield --- Joseph Bowler, master; Sarah Bowler, mistress

* Hawksley Sarah, Ecclesfield

* Lound Free School, Chapel Town --- Joel Hague, master

* Rider Geo. (gent's bdg) Greno house

* Spilling Ann (ladies' boarding) Ecclesfield

* Warburton Samuel (gent's brdng)

and again ! he he

SH LINK to Godfrey map

Electoral Rolls, Ecclesfield (CRO at Wakefield).

A selection of entries are as follows:

1891 LP38 Bilbrough Charles. Grenoside. Dwellinghouses (successive) Crawshaw's Houses both at Grenoside

1896 NT184 Bilbrough Charles. Middleton. Dwellinghouses (successive) Middleton and Grenoside

1901 LP48 Bilbrough Charles. Grenoside. Dwellinghouses (successive) Grenoside and Middleton

1906 PW51 Bilbrough Charles. Nether Houses Dwellinghouses (successive) Grenoside and Nether Houses

1911 QN64 Bilbrough Charles Nether Houses Dwellinghouse Nether Houses.

Nether Houses is an area around Greno House on the Sheffield to Penistone Road.

Source

---------------------------------------------------------

Recollections: by Mrs Eliza Lockwood

Introduction

Written in about 1895 by Mrs Eliza Lockwood of Sheffield. She was the daughter of Thomas Porter & Anne nee Girdler born In 1822 & married in 1852 to Charles Lockwood of Greno House, Grenoside.

She had nine children, including twins of whom one died at birth. She died on 19 June 1896 aged 74.

Eric Youle's site

------------------------------------------------------------

WILLIAM SMITH PORTER MD 1855-1927 Hon Physician and later Consulting Physician to the Royal Infirmary, Lt Col Royal Army Medical Corps [Territorial Force]

Married JESSIE LOCKWOOD, youngest daughter of CHARLES LOCKWOOD of Greno House, Grenoside.

Source

LETTERS 100 The Project Gutenberg eBook of Juliana Horatia Ewing, by Horatia K.F. Eden.

Saturday, January 31, 1880

A sunny old kirkyard is a nice place, I always think, for aged folk and invalids to creep up and down in, and "Tombstone Morality" isn't half as wearing to the nerves as the problems of life!... Greno House, Tuesday. Harry Howard drove me up yesterday. It was just as much as I could bear; but I lay on the sofa till dinner, and went to bed at eight, and though my head kept me awake at first, I did well on the whole. Breakfast in bed, a bigger one than I have eaten for three weeks, and since then I have had an hour's drive. The roughness of the roads is unlucky, but the air divine! Such sweet sunshine, and Greno Wood, with yellow remains of bush and bracken, and heavy mosses on the sandstone walls, and tiny streams trickling through boggy bits of the wood, and coming out over the wall to overflow those picturesque stone troughs which are so oddly numerous, and which I had in my head when I wrote the first part of "Mrs. Overtheway."

Source

From the Sheffield Independent 1896

My friend Jude discovered the grave of Edward Wynyard Bellhouse, ( in a large communal grave) at the rear of Ecclesfield Churchyard, and showed it to me today, as we are both interested in local history. We were discussing if this Bellhouse family was connected in anyway to the 'Bell houses' complex, which was situated on what is now Stubbin lane, Firth park, ( and that gave its name to Bellhouse road) On of the Bell houses cottages was built in 1600. I wonder, if they are connected, did the family name come from the bellhouses' hamlet, or the other way round? The former seems more logical to me.

Guest Mike Dinnington

One important fact that seems to have been omitted is that Greno House survives at the junction of School Lane and Penistone Road.

The house was divided into separate dwellings - I know there is at least a no 3 and a no 5 Greno House as a friend of mine used to live in one, although it is probably 20 years since I ventured up the drive marked by original stone gate posts.

The attached Google Maps satellite picture shows Greno House in the centre.

Guest duchesslevy

This is a photo of Greno House which must date back to before the 1900's. My mother was born in this house, her father worked as a metallurgist for Sheffield Steel/Cammel Laird

Greno House, School Lane, Grenoside. 

s05723.jpg.d42dfb6719ce015c00b5b76a03391aff.jpgs05723

Advertisement for Education at Greno House near Sheffield.

G. Rider BA of the University of Cambridge receives into his house a limited number of young gentlemen whom he prepares for the Universities and for the Professional or Commercial pursuits. 

Terms per annum. The pupils under eleven years of age 30 guineas. For those above that age 35 & 40 guineas. 

NB. No extra charge except for washing. 

The house is situated in a very beautiful & healthy part of Yorkshire four miles from Sheffield and four miles from Wortley.

Coaches pass the House daily. 

A quarters notice and a quarters board previously to the removal of a pupil. 

Greno House, School Lane, Grenoside, February 1949. 

s05717.jpg.3f5f3c72c14cc21b613fa2265007ee30.jpgs05717

s05720.jpg.c6d14696e4a22d35f45556c7048e0f94.jpgs05720  View from East. 

View from North East. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s05721&pos=7&action=zoom&id=9134

View from South West. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s05722&pos=8&action=zoom&id=9135

The Well. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s05719&pos=5&action=zoom&id=9132

Pheasant Rearing House. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s12031&pos=9&action=zoom&id=15037

s37340.jpg.65a96afd2b182dc2b407370fb8450f33.jpgs37340

Greno House, School Lane, Grenoside, July 1989.

Latterly converted into 5 seperate dwellings. 

Former Stables. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s37348&pos=2&action=zoom&id=73924