Photographic Scanner Sugestions Please

Guest bus man

Guest bus man

Help Please

I have a huge amount of colour negatives dating back to 1979 which I want to scan so they are digital I bought a Epsom 4490 round 2 years ago and it was OK but I didn't use it a lot towards the end of last year I started to scan a lot and it developed a fault where it slipped . That was replaced on Christmas day (thank you Santa) with a Epson V 330 that lasted around 24 hours ( about 500 photos ) before it developed the same fault .

It was replaced like for like, the current scanner is starting to develop the same fault , can any one recommend a scanner that will scan negs, photos and documents and is able to withstand usage in all around possibly 100,000 prints from negs.

Your help would be appreciated as I am about to climb up the wall !

Example of bad scan

Same negative when the scanner is behaving

Help Please

I have a huge amount of colour negatives dating back to 1979 which I want to scan so they are digital I bought a Epsom 4490 round 2 years ago and it was OK but I didn't use it a lot towards the end of last year I started to scan a lot and it developed a fault where it slipped . That was replaced on Christmas day (thank you Santa) with a Epson V 330 that lasted around 24 hours ( about 500 photos ) before it developed the same fault .

It was replaced like for like, the current scanner is starting to develop the same fault , can any one recommend a scanner that will scan negs, photos and documents and is able to withstand usage in all around possibly 100,000 prints from negs.

Your help would be appreciated as I am about to climb up the wall !

I found that trying to use a single scanner as a jack of all trades to scan everything never gave good results, particularly from negatives.

The solution was to use 2 very different scanners.

A flatbed scanner for photos and documents.

I use an HP one but I am sure the Epson ones are equally as good when used for this purpose which is really what flatbed scanners are designed for.

A dedicated negative scanner for negatives and transparencies.

These used to be expensive but can be obtained quite cheaply now and they are pretty good. All my 1974 Sheffield scenes were scanned from negative with one. They do seem to be only capable of handling 35mm negatives or transparencies as their is a special feed rack which fits into it and is designed specifically for 35mm, unfortunately I also have some 120 rollfilm negatives and a lot of subminature 9.5mm Minox ones as well.

2 scanners cost more than one but it solved the problem for me.

Guest bus man

I found that trying to use a single scanner as a jack of all trades to scan everything never gave good results, particularly from negatives.

The solution was to use 2 very different scanners.

A flatbed scanner for photos and documents.

I use an HP one but I am sure the Epson ones are equally as good when used for this purpose which is really what flatbed scanners are designed for.

A dedicated negative scanner for negatives and transparencies.

These used to be expensive but can be obtained quite cheaply now and they are pretty good. All my 1974 Sheffield scenes were scanned from negative with one. They do seem to be only capable of handling 35mm negatives or transparencies as their is a special feed rack which fits into it and is designed specifically for 35mm, unfortunately I also have some 120 rollfilm negatives and a lot of subminature 9.5mm Minox ones as well.

2 scanners cost more than one but it solved the problem for me.

Can you sugest a make & model for the netgative scanner please.

I would be willing to do that if it solves the problem as at the moment 25% of all scans are not usable.

Can you sugest a make & model for the netgative scanner please.

I would be willing to do that if it solves the problem as at the moment 25% of all scans are not usable.

Have a look at this site

http://www.ionaudio.com/imageconversion

I have their Slides 2 PC scanner , which is similar to the scanner DaveH has, his is a different make.

Have a look at this site

http://www.ionaudio.com/imageconversion

I have their Slides 2 PC scanner , which is similar to the scanner DaveH has, his is a different make.

Yes but to be honest all these low budget scanners that scan negatives / slides are all pretty much the same. I don't think there is a lot to choose between them.

I think I can safely say that both me and Stuart have been pleased with the results from ours.