Pub Long Gone

Guest downtimer

Guest downtimer

I wonder if anyone can help me? There used to be a pub on the corner of Fitzallan street and Montfort road at pitsmoor many years ago.All I remember about it is a cigarette advert painted on a side wall, I think it was a flying horse,that would be Turf cigs. Lakes shop was on the opposite corner. Does anyone know the name please?

Les

I wonder if anyone can help me? There used to be a pub on the corner of Fitzallan street and Montfort road at pitsmoor many years ago.All I remember about it is a cigarette advert painted on a side wall, I think it was a flying horse,that would be Turf cigs. Lakes shop was on the opposite corner. Does anyone know the name please?

Les

Looks like it was the Fitzalan Inn. It can be seen on Map 11. I am sure a Map Fairy will be along soon to add a bit of that map directly to this thread.

Les

Likely to be the Fitzalan Inn or "Top Fitzalan"; my details show Willie Nowill there in 1948 at 38 Montford Road and 123-127 Fitzalan Street.

Now that was quick. lol . Much quicker and it would have appeared before I had posted.

I was onto it before you posted MA,

infact it looks like three of us were searching at the same time.

Lakes shop was on the opposite corner.

Nos. 118/120 E.S. Lake's corner shop, Fitzalan Street and corner of Montfort Road, Burngreave with the spire of Andover Street Methodist Church.

(Image 30th June 1965)

Lake's

Nos. 118/120 E.S. Lake's corner shop, Fitzalan Street and corner of Montfort Road, Burngreave with the spire of Andover Street Methodist Church.

(Image 30th June 1965)

Lake's

Love those photo's, especially the Austin A35 with what looks like an aerofoil fastened to it's roof. Perhaps it gave it an extra 5 mph taking the top speed up to 60.

Alternatively it could be someone who's got a large sheet of plywood strapped to his roof-rack.

My first vehicle was an A35 and I have many happy memories of breakdowns, bits falling off, and standing in my seat trying to apply enough pressure to the brakes.

It came with a device that discouraged excessive cornering force, the battery was stood on the floor behind the seat and slid about alarmingly unless a back seat passenger put their feet on it. This was problematic because the rear seat wasn't fastened down either.

Well it passed the MOT ! (It wouldn't nowadays).

HD

Love those photo's, especially the Austin A35 with what looks like an aerofoil fastened to it's roof.

HD

As far as I know the A30 and A35 shared identical bodies apart from (strange as it may seem) the A30 had a slightly smaller rear window.

Can't imagine why. Someone will know.

Guest downtimer

Looks like it was the Fitzalan Inn. It can be seen on Map 11. I am sure a Map Fairy will be along soon to add a bit of that map directly to this thread.

Thanks for that, the photo brought back a few memories as well.That could well have been my dads austin,he was always having to leave it somewhere when it broke down.

L