A Big Sheffieldhistory Thank You To Trefcon

RichardB

I'm fresh off the phone to Trefcon, Congratulating him on his MASSIVE update of the Sheffield War lists.

I know he's been at it for days (and is shattered) and so have some of the people good enough to help him.

He's learned a lot and has kindly offered to do all the big site updates in the future <Joking Dean >

Updates/edits don't get the praise they deserve, since they don't show up as new posts (that's not to belittle the effort that's gone in)

I'm equally in awe of Ukelele Lady and the magnificent Pub updates, after four years on the task, my eyes glaze over all too easily looking at the same "stuff" day-in, day-out.

We don't see loads of posts per day, but, some of those we do see are "hard won" and involve a lot of research work. What we'd like is a bunch of new contributions from newer members to keep us all sane and interested; anything really to distract us he he

So, raise a glass to Trefcon, Ukelele Lady and the "boys in the backroom" (you know who they are) that do remarkable work on behalf of this site.

Well done! Thanks for everything you do! I think it is safe to say everyone on Sheffield History is gratefull for the hardwork you put in :)

I think Trefcon's War listings are fantastic.

Trefcon must have put not hours but many years of research into this list as almost every Sheffielder who ever served in the armed forces during the war appears in it, including some ancestors of mine.

A brilliant piece of dedicated work from Trefcon.

But what an absolutely fantastic, fitting tribute and memorial this list is to the local people who gave their lives for the country in various conflicts.

I think Trefcon's War listings are fantastic.

Trefcon must have put not hours but many years of research into this list as almost every Sheffielder who ever served in the armed forces during the war appears in it, including some ancestors of mine.

A brilliant piece of dedicated work from Trefcon.

But what an absolutely fantastic, fitting tribute and memorial this list is to the local people who gave their lives for the country in various conflicts.

You are 100% correct Dave, remarkable dedication and a fitting Tribute to all Sheffielders who served.

Having spoken to Dean, vistied him at his home, provided some kit and helped him with some "IT issues" (he fell for the IT support bit - I was deleting thousands and thousands of files from his ompter - he asked "Are you sure you can delete all of those ?" - to which the classic reply is "Dunno, they're not mine") I can tell you this work is a life's passion, 10 years plus of research and input/cost. If ever there was a reason to click on that contribute button, this work is that reason - the money goes to SheffieldHistory running costs not Dean, not me, not Admin. I guess Dean has spent more than me over the years and I just buy stuff and have it posted to Sheffield.

Above all else, I'm still amazed that one day a bloke, then known as Deansgirl and a newcomer to the site, with a self-confessed low-level of expertise in putting this stuff onto the Inter-thingie, contacted me and said

"Would you be interested in putting this online ?"

Not half ...

Brilliant work Dean. Hope you had a good nights kip, I know you were off to bed at 8 pm, cuz I called you as you were about to collapse in a heap

Guest Trefcon

Thank you all for the kind words and comments. I dont do this for any type of glory, just to make sure our men and women who serve are not forgotten, no matter how long ago.

A big thank you too to my partner Donna, she has been by my side all the way through this lot, the cemeteries, local studies etc, etc.

Dave, my main aim is to try and record all of the 50,000 that went from Sheffield ! I know i wont record them all, but i'm giving it a go ! What i need to do to try and get a figure of where i am now, is to cross reference the 22,000 on the rolls, the 1,500 on the headstones, the 4,500 in the images, the 5,000 on CWGC, the 5,000 on SDGW, the 18,000 'Sheffield' service records on Ancestry, the 3,5000 'Sheffield' pension records on Ancestry, the 1,000's in the casualty llists in the Independent (working on these now ! ) the 1,000's of files i have in my drawers, etc, etc,

So, all volunteers from an orderly queue please.

Dean.

Dave, my main aim is to try and record all of the 50,000 that went from Sheffield ! I know i wont record them all, but i'm giving it a go ! What i need to do to try and get a figure of where i am now, is to cross reference the 22,000 on the rolls, the 1,500 on the headstones, the 4,500 in the images, the 5,000 on CWGC, the 5,000 on SDGW, the 18,000 'Sheffield' service records on Ancestry, the 3,5000 'Sheffield' pension records on Ancestry, the 1,000's in the casualty llists in the Independent (working on these now ! ) the 1,000's of files i have in my drawers, etc, etc,

Dean.

So when I said "almost all Sheffielders who served..." you can put a number of around 50,000 on it.

How complete is it?

It looks very impressive and is always furth a look if researching a Sheffield ancestor who served in either war.

I have not found in it yet though any mention of either of my mum's Cuneo (of Sheffield ice cream fame) relatives, both of which were killed in WW1 (Joseph Cuneo and Nicholson Cuneo, aka Nicholas Cuneo)

These 2 were both born and lived in Sheffield, as was their father, Nicholas Cuneo, but their grandfather, Louis Cuneo was an Italian immigrant.

Although I can't find them in the list I am sure they are there somewhere. Perhaps the current update of the information will make it easier for me.

A big thank too to my partner Donna, she has been by my side all the way through.

Dean.

Would Trefcon's partner be the ORIGINAL deansgirl before Dean started using that name himself, then later decided it was not appropriate and changed it to Trefcon?

Guest Trefcon

Been there all along Dave, from St Michaels at Rivelin.

Yes, had been using my partners ID :ph34r:

Just started the ball rolling to try and get a number of where i am at now Dave.

Dean.

Been there all along Dave, from St Michaels at Rivelin.

Yes, had been using my partners ID :ph34r:

Just started the ball rolling to try and get a number of where i am at now Dave.

Dean.

Thanks for the image there Dean.

I sort of assumed that having been killed on active service their memorial would be at some CWGC site somewhere in France.

I would never have thought it would have been here in Sheffield.

Brilliant!

Guest Trefcon

Hi Dave, they are commemorated where they fell. Joseph is buried at Heath cemetery, Harbonnieres. and Nicholas, who has no known grave, on the Cambrai Memorial at Louverval.

The inscriptions at St Michaels are what the family had added to a family grave.

Dean.

Hi Dave, they are commemorated where they fell. Joseph is buried at Heath cemetery, Harbonnieres. and Nicholas, who has no known grave, on the Cambrai Memorial at Louverval.

The inscriptions at St Michaels are what the family had added to a family grave.

Dean.

That probably means I will have to go up there sometime to find out who else is in that family grave, - their father Nicholas (1869 - 1950) possibly?

An even bigger Thank You to Trefcon for coming up with that image and location for me. ;-)

On 14/01/2011 at 08:37, Guest Trefcon said:

Thank you all for the kind words and comments. I dont do this for any type of glory, just to make sure our men and women who serve are not forgotten, no matter how long ago.

A big thank you too to my partner Donna, she has been by my side all the way through this lot, the cemeteries, local studies etc, etc.

Dean.

Do you still send out photos of these men to people Trefron?