Images Of Sheffields Great War Soldiers

Guest Trefcon

Guest Trefcon

Hello Ron,

here with an image of the chap and his brother, John top left, Seaton Hall top right.

Put Sharrow Hurst into this sites search engine and you'll find a post about the house they lived at.

Plenty on Seaton Hall, nowt on John i'm afraid at the moment.

regards

Dean.

Guest ironduke

Hello Dean

Many thanks for your help, that's great. Could you please let me have any information about his brother ? Thanks again, much appreciated.

Regards

Ron

Guest Trefcon

Seatons Medal Index Card

From Fulwood Christ Church Churchyard.

I have the war diary for the action in which he was posted 'missing', i will scan this tomorrow and post it up Ron.

Dean.

Guest Trefcon

War Diary -

Killed in action -

Lieut. A.J.G. Goodall

2nd Lieut. S.S. Schneider

Died of wounds -

Lt. Col. A.M. Holdsworth

Seaton Hall is listed as 'Missing'

Dean.

Hi,

I found this thread facinating reading and even found one of my CRAWSHAW family and one of my JENKINSON family listed here although the Crawshaw name was A. F. Crawshaw not A. P (Arnold Frederick),

Crawshaw. A.P. Pte. Wounded. Of 34 Beechwood Road. 18/5/17 SDI.

Jenkinson. W. Pte. Killed. Of 221 Rural Lane, Wadsley. 1/3/16 SDI.

I would be grateful when time permits if you could see if you have a photo of him?

Regards

Jeremy Crawshaw (from Sheffield now living in Bournemouth, Dorset)

Guest Trefcon

Hi Jeremy, afraid i dont have those images, sorry. But you can get copies by mailing/phoning the Local Strudies Library at Sheffield, it would be a two minute job for them what with the date of the paper to look in.

Dean.

Guest Ray Froggatt

Dear Sir

In your post dated 12/01/11, you list the following names/images which are (I am certain) of my paternal grandfather, Mr Walter Froggatt who served in the Royal Field Artillery in WW1. The details you have listed are:

Froggatt. Walter, Driver R.F.A., Independent War Album Part 11

Froggatt. Walter, Pte RFA, wounded at Ypres, 1Ct 1 H Division Lane, Sheffield Tele 27/5/15

Could you please send me the above images as I am currently researching my grandfathers military service?

Many thanks

Ray Froggatt

Guest Trefcon

Hi Ray,

here with the image i have of a Walter Froggatt.

I dont have the Sheffield Telegraph image, just the reference.

Hope this is ok,

Dean.

Trefcon has asked me to let you know he's taking a break from "The Great War" thread here on SheffieldHistory.

As a professional masochist he's going to spend his time and effort pulling together data for the 100th Anniversary of the outbreak of the First World War. I've seen the volume of data he's working with, its over 10 years worth and I can fully appreciate the need to

"stand well back and take stock".

As you can imagine this is an enormous undertaking and needs his full attention. It will, no doubt, be a brilliant peice of work and will definitely cause his head to melt.

Thus,Trefcon/Dean just wanted me to explain where's he's at and where he's heading. He's not running away, just suspending activity here, for a while, whilst he goes off to attend to what, I must say, sounds like exactly the kind of task he was always destined to do.

On behalf of us all I'd like to offer a sincere Thank you for all the effort that has gone into the information provided here on SH and for all the questions/requests that have been answered; and to offer

"all best wishes"

with the new project. The suspension of activity does mean he will no longer be able to deal with requests for pictures/information as he has been doing recently (matter of fact he's been at it for years) and now its time for him to concentrate on "stuff" he needs to do to see his research through to a logical conclusion.

This topic closed for now.