Burials At Sheffield General Cemetery

Guest KatrinaWal

Guest KatrinaWal

I have found that one of my ancestors (Eliza Lees) is buried in Sheffield General Cemetery in plot M14. The plot was owned by her husband (Paul Lees) and it says there are 7 other people buried in this plot but no other details. I am guessing the other burials were after the first 6000 which are recorded online. Is there a way to find out who else was buried there? I guess eventually her husband and maybe children but I'd like to know for sure.

The General Cemetery Trust have indexed all the burials at the General Cemetery in both the consecrated and the non-consecrated section. The discs are available through the Sheffield & District Family History Society, with all proceeds going to the trust.

I can only find 6 burials in this plot including Eliza

Section M grave 14, non-consecrated.

Death date/ burial date/ Forename/ Surname/ Age/ relationship or occupation/ address.

10 Jan 1861. 13 jan 1861. Eliza Ellen ALLISON, 14m, d. of James ALLISON, Bookseller. Snig Hill

13 Nov 1862. 16 Nov 1862. Florence Alberta ALLISON, 5. d of James, Bookseller. Snig Hill (burial register lists second name as Eubeatric) check FreeBMD

9 Feb 1863. 12 Feb 1863 James Herbert FLOWER. 2. Son of Charles. Fender Fitter. Hoyle St

16 Dec 1871. 19 Dec 1871. Paul LEES. 81. Pensioner. Shrewsbury Hospital

29 Jan 1876. 2 Feb 1876 James LEES. 34. Painter etc. 56 Matthew Street.

Then there is this burial in Section L grave 136 non-consecrated.

29 Jul 1865. 1 Aug 1865 Mary Ann LEES. 1y 5m. daughter of Paul LEES. Manager. Mitchell Street.

Is there any way of getting a plan of the plots and where they are? I am looking for Y1 150 which contains my great grandfather, George Stones. I have searched high and low for a plan but its proved unsuccessful

Kevin

Is there any way of getting a plan of the plots and where they are? I am looking for Y1 150 which contains my great grandfather, George Stones. I have searched high and low for a plan but its proved unsuccessful

Kevin

Three here, SH link ...

Flash Earth

When you do visit - take a good pair of pruning shears (much ivy and brambles), stout boots and gloves, long sleeves and a mobile phone in case rescue becomes necessary. Photo below of the state of one of my ancestor's graves in the General Cemetery:

From Sheffield Records Online site General Cemetery Burials

plaq_left.gif Grave: M 14 plaq_right.gif

Florence Euberta ? ALLISON
Daughter of James Allison,Bookseller, Snig Hill

James Herbert Ralph ALLISON
Son of James Allison, Bookseller, 37 West Bar

Eliza Ellen ALLISON
Daughter of James Allison,Bookseller, Snig Hill

James Herbert FLOWER
Son of Charles Flower,Fender fitter, Hoyle Street

Eliza LEES
Wife of Paul Lees, Table Knife Manufacturer, Scotland Street, Hadfields Court