William Fernehough

Stuart0742

Received this email today, may have been sent to wrong adress, but we may be able to help

Dear Jason/Dan (producers of Sheffield Wednesday History book)

I am writing to you to enquire if you have anymore information about William Fernehough. There is a brief description of him in your book which has brought back some memories of the stories my granddad (George William Fernehough) talked bout before his death two years ago. I do not know much about my family history and did not really believe the stories my granddad was telling me were really accurate. All my family have been avid Sheffiled Wednesday supports for many years and, any information you can share about William Fernehoug would be appreciate especially my mother is wanting to know more about her fathers family.

Kindest Regards

Kieron Goddard

Needs a little more detail, methinks. What year(s) are we looking at ?

Pound to a penny the surname is Fearnehough

Link to earlier findings by Clive W Nicholson (including a photo of the 191-92 side, including W. Fearnehough.

Further info by email

The book states that William Ferehough was a board member of Sheffield Wednesday since 1910 and chairman since 1944. The book also states that his farther was the founder of SWFC in 1867. We are very interested in their life’s as a whole, what they did apart from being involved with SWFC. We know they were master cutlers and we are very keen to talk to anyone who knows the Fernehough family. We do have a photo of the SWFC football team (1910), birth certificates and some other information that was left behind by my granddad that may be of interest to you.

Walter Fearnehough, educated at Ecclesall College, inherited the family business - for the manufacture of "Bayonet Spirals, Ledger Blades and Chaff Knives - at the age of 17. He was a vice-president of the Wednesday Cricket Club and a member of the Sheffield Volunteer Engineers.

1881 Census

Household:

Walter FEARNEHOUGH Head M Male 32 Sheffield, York, England Machine Knife Maker (Ag Im Mr)

Sarah FEARNEHOUGH Wife M Female 29 Sheffield, York, England

Annie FEARNEHOUGH Daur Female 11 Sheffield, York, England Scholar

Florence FEARNEHOUGH Daur Female 4 Sheffield, York, England

William FEARNEHOUGH Son Male 2 Sheffield, York, England

Walter FEARNEHOUGH Son Male 1 Sheffield, York, England

Kate E. SHAW Serv U Female 25 Sheffield, York, England General Servant (Domestic)

Dwelling 11 New Porter St

Census Place

Ecclesall Bierlow, York, England

In the 1870s Wednesday had a Scottish player James Lang - who had been brought down from Scotland and it was suspected was a "professional" - he nominally worked for Walter Fearnehough in Garden Street

from Percy M Young Football in Sheffield

The Wednesday Football Club was registered as a Limited Company with a capital of £7,000 in 50 original £5 shares and 675 of £10.

Walter Fearnehough was one of the first Directors of the company.

He died in 1908.

William Fearnehough was noted as a director in 1937.

He died in the same month (in 1953) that Derek Dooley lost his leg and had been Chairman of the Wednesday though many " vicissitudes".

From "Romance of the Wednesday" by Richard A. Sparling

"Earlier in that year of 1908, one other famous Wednesday official passed away - Mr Walter Fearnehough, who son is still on the Wednesday directorate. (1926) Mr Fearnehough was held in the highest esteem by friends and players alike, and he did great work for many years. In 1883 he was a vice president of the club and long before that he had been prominantly connected with the old club. He played his part in the aquisition of James Lang. When the Olive Grove enterprise was mooted the late Mr Fearnehough was one of those who shouldered the grave responsibilities."

I think you might find it's spelt 'Fearnehough'.

Received this email today, may have been sent to wrong adress, but we may be able to help

Dear Jason/Dan (producers of Sheffield Wednesday History book)

I am writing to you to enquire if you have anymore information about William Fernehough. There is a brief description of him in your book which has brought back some memories of the stories my granddad (George William Fernehough) talked bout before his death two years ago. I do not know much about my family history and did not really believe the stories my granddad was telling me were really accurate. All my family have been avid Sheffiled Wednesday supports for many years and, any information you can share about William Fernehoug would be appreciate especially my mother is wanting to know more about her fathers family.

Kindest Regards

Kieron Goddard

Needs a little more detail, methinks. What year(s) are we looking at ?

Pound to a penny the surname is Fearnehough

Link to earlier findings by Clive W Nicholson (including a photo of the 191-92 side, including W. Fearnehough.

I hope this is the right place to put this comment. Re the old photo of the Wednesday team - I think n° 2 could be Arthur Dickinson from other photos though he is older in those. In any case I'm sure he isn't n° 1 who is too big a man to be him. Just for the record.

Judith née Dickinson