Bus Ticket

Stuart0742

It just goes to show you should never throw any thing away

£1.49 plus £1.05 postage

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bus-Tickets-Sheffield-Transport-Dept-Joint-Omnibus-/380162132477?pt=UK_Collectables_Bus_CoachCollectables_SM&hash=item58836dc9fd

£1.49 plus £1.05 postage

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bus-Tickets-Sheffield-Transport-Dept-Joint-Omnibus-/380162132477?pt=UK_Collectables_Bus_CoachCollectables_SM&hash=item58836dc9fd

So 1d used bus ticket is now worth almost 30 bob.

I make that just under 360 times more than its face value!

So 1d used bus ticket is now worth almost 30 bob.

I make that just under 360 times more than its face value!

and a Guinea to send it through the post

and a Guinea to send it through the post

Yes, exactly 1 guinea.

I am sure there must be younger members, especially those born after 15 February 1971 (even those "younger" members will soon be 40 :o ) that haven't got the slightest clue what we are talking about.

Yes, exactly 1 guinea.

I am sure there must be younger members, especially those born after 15 February 1971 (even those "younger" members will soon be 40 :o ) that haven't got the slightest clue what we are talking about.

No not a clue...

No not a clue...

OK youngster, it Imperial pre-decimal L-S-D money ;-)

Some of us still work and calculate back into it just so that we can moan about modern high prices :rolleyes:

OK youngster, it Imperial pre-decimal L-S-D money ;-)

Some of us still work and calculate back into it just so that we can moan about modern high prices :rolleyes:

This guy's not having much look. still trying to sell this ticket at £1.49 plus a guinea P&P

This guy's not having much look. still trying to sell this ticket at £1.49 plus a guinea P&P

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item58836dc9fd

Not surprising, really.

Courtesy of my other half being a member of the Transport Ticket Society, I have just received 38 Sheffield Transport / JOC tickets similar to this for the princely sum of £1.20 (free postage & packaging)! In my opinion, £1.49 for one bus ticket is way over the top.

Not surprising, really.

Courtesy of my other half being a member of the Transport Ticket Society, I have just received 38 Sheffield Transport / JOC tickets similar to this for the princely sum of £1.20 (free postage & packaging)! In my opinion, £1.49 for one bus ticket is way over the top.

and £1.05p p&p

and £1.05p p&p

Indeed: I am just doing what I normally do when I first see something on ebay - I forget to look at the P & P. Always remember later, though, before putting the bid on.

Not surprising, really.

So they have effectively cost you just over 3p each.

Even allowing for a bulk buying discount they can't be worth more than 4p or at most a shilling (5p) each then.

The "Transport Ticket Society" :blink:

That's a new one on me :unsure:

and £1.05p p&p

Well, if it cost £5 p&p to send tobacco by post from the Channel Islands to mainland Britain in the 1880's I suppose a guinea to send a bus ticket through the post in 2011 isn't as bad as it seems.

£1.49 plus £1.05 postage

Shouldn't this have been on ebay forum? C'mon guys, get it right or we'll chuck you off the bus. :)

Shouldn't this have been on ebay forum? C'mon guys, get it right or we'll chuck you off the bus. :)

Well, it may be an eBay item but it is also a transport item isn't it.

However, given the prices being asked for some fairly ordinary items on eBay recently perhaps we should have a "Sheffield extortionate prices and daylight robbery" section lol

Seems to be an appropriate thread to add a bit more transport memorabilia ! Those bus and tram fares of modest expense in Sheffield in the 30's and 40's as low as 1d return to school.

hpqscan0001.thumb.jpg.152c2eceba118ed1f19b546e08f4178c.jpg

Maybe  https://www.gnrsociety.com/  could have the answer somewhere in its archives but I haven't joined them!

Perhaps C. R Rate means 'Child Reduced Rate' and the red overprint is shorthand for Norwich Fens Melton Constable & Peterborough lines ? 

I think that N F M C & P is an abbreviation for "Not for Mail Carts and Perambulators", probably because those items usually had a specific pre-printed ticket at a different rate to the rather general "article". Other specific tickets were for bicycles & dogs.

Mail carts appear to have been a type of three-wheeled perambulator popular in the late 18th & early 20th century.

I have no idea what the C R Rate means.

I have sent my husband (who is a member of the Transport Ticket Society) to see if he can find anything similar in his collection. He could be gone some time :wacko:.

• Like 1

Yes, I looked at that " Not for" option and thought it might be "Motorised Chairs & Prams" but there wouldn't have been many about in 1921. Alternatively, it being farming territory, I discarded "Mucky Carrotts & Potatoes" as being unlikely:rolleyes: 

Perhaps C R relates to a 'Commercial Register' for regular customers.

p s: Is he back yet?

He hs returned, and of course he couldn't find the sort of ticket I really wanted.Having his collection sorted by originating station and not ticket type means finding one was tricky.

Nevertheless, he did find a few to illustrate my point.

A perambulator & childs mail cart ticket ifrom British Rail!

BR mail cart.jpg

An older, Southern Railway issued ticket which has bicycle as well as prams etc. not very easy to read, but then back in those days it was common to put a lot of test on each small ticket.

southern perambulator.jpg

And a North Eastern Railway bicycle ticket

NER bicycle.jpg

CR Rate probably refers to "Customer's Risk Rate" ie if the item gets lost or damaged you can't claim from the railway.  This rate would obviously be cheaper than sending items at OR - operator's risk.