West Riding Wapentakes

miked

Dont know if we have this map, I cant see it If we havent here are - Wapentakes, sorry no date.

I have been lead to believe, from a display in the 1970's in the entrance to the old Wapentake boozer in the basement of Grosvenor House Hotel which I once read on my way out after consuming rather a lot of beer that "Wapentake" and "Intake" were Saxon / Viking words for "conquered land" so I assume that the Wapentakes go back a long way, - to before the Norman conquest in 1066.

I have been lead to believe, from a display in the 1970's in the entrance to the old Wapentake boozer in the basement of Grosvenor House Hotel which I once read on my way out after consuming rather a lot of beer that "Wapentake" and "Intake" were Saxon / Viking words for "conquered land" so I assume that the Wapentakes go back a long way, - to before the Norman conquest in 1066.

Hi Dave,

We must have have similar wayward life, it was the "Wap" that stirred my curiosity many moons ago. I actually had a leaflet from there, something about presenting arm, I think.. I was never much convinced about that.

The bit below is taken from wiki and rings a bell

A wapentake is a term derived from the Old Norse vápnatak, the rough equivalent of an Anglo-Saxon hundred.

Hi Dave,

We must have have similar wayward life, it was the "Wap" that stirred my curiosity many moons ago. I actually had a leaflet from there, something about presenting arm, I think.. I was never much convinced about that.

The bit below is taken from wiki and rings a bell

A wapentake is a term derived from the Old Norse vápnatak, the rough equivalent of an Anglo-Saxon hundred.

It is saxon then ;-)

However it seems to be more to do with the local Government of the land they control rather than the fact that it is land they have recently captured from someone else.

If I hadn't been out drinking I could have read that thing in the Wapentake more carefully and thoroughly.

I seem to remember it was half way up (down) the entrance staircase on the landing wall where it turned 360 degrees.

It was the Wapentake in 1974 which inspired me to say in another topic you could have a really good boozing session for just £1, so we often went down with little more than this amount of money.

At the time bus fares in Sheffield were just 2p and a pint of beer in the Wapentake (often warm and served in a plastic glass! :angry: ) was just 12p.

So 8 pints (a gallon) of beer and your bus fare there and back came to exactly £1 :o

It is saxon then ;-)

However it seems to be more to do with the local Government of the land they control rather than the fact that it is land they have recently captured from someone else.

If I hadn't been out drinking I could have read that thing in the Wapentake more carefully and thoroughly.

I seem to remember it was half way up (down) the entrance staircase on the landing wall where it turned 360 degrees.

It was the Wapentake in 1974 which inspired me to say in another topic you could have a really good boozing session for just £1, so we often went down with little more than this amount of money.

At the time bus fares in Sheffield were just 2p and a pint of beer in the Wapentake (often warm and served in a plastic glass! :angry: ) was just 12p.

So 8 pints (a gallon) of beer and your bus fare there and back came to exactly £1 :o

I'll Paypal you £2 Dave, please email some warm, plastic beer; keep the bus fare for your trouble he he

I'll Paypal you £2 Dave, please email some warm, plastic beer; keep the bus fare for your trouble he he

Don't think we will ever see prices like that again Richard

By the 1980's the price of beer had gone up to 42p from 40p. The cost of a record on the Juke box was 10p.

On the evening after the budget when this change came into effect I was sat in The Fellbrigg with "Little Sid", - a well known local character who normally you wouldn't want to be sat with as he could be rude, outspoken, insulting and aggresive but on this night he was in one of his calmer moods.

His exact comment to me was,-

"Tha used to be able to come in 'ere and get a pint and a record 'ont juke box for ten bob, - nar it wain't for't record ont juke box any moor"

To him, a pint (40p) and a record on the juke box (10p) equated to ten bob (50p) so he came out with 50p for just that.

Putting beer up to 42p just spoilt it for him, and of course cost him more.