Best Christmas Present Ever

mickjj

Got this original 1935 FA Cup Final programme for Christmas.

Best present ever :)

Very nice indeed

What was the score ?

<Joking>

Any chance of the '96 programme next year Mick?

Got this original 1935 FA Cup Final programme for Christmas.

Best present ever :)

Very nice indeed

What was the score ?

It was a bit like the 1966 World Cup Final in terms of final score as it was 4 - 2

That is, Sheffield Wednesday 4, West Bromwich Albion 2.

I think this is the match that was filmed, some of it from an airship directly above Wembley Stadium.

There was also a commentary which included the famous quote, -

"Wednesday have just scored again, - everyone in Sheffield will just have swapped each other a penknife!"

It was a bit like the 1966 World Cup Final in terms of final score as it was 4 - 2

That is, Sheffield Wednesday 4, West Bromwich Albion 2.

I think this is the match that was filmed, some of it from an airship directly above Wembley Stadium.

"Wednesday have just scored again, - everyone in Sheffield will just have swapped each other a penknife!"

My Father (just under 16 years young) was being pelted with tomatoes as they heard the match progressing - helping his older brother Tom on his vegetable delivery round, near The Oval/Bowfield Road area.

Now, either of those would be an impressive find = Go DaveH !

Just a transcription will do nicely ...

Now, either of those would be an impressive find = Go DaveH !

Just a transcription will do nicely ...

Now there's a challenge!

I have seen clips of it years ago on BBC TV (Grandstand?? possibly??)

Perhaps it's worth an Internet search as it's so long ago it must be available now.

I tried to embed this but with no luck so just follow the link

1935 FA Cup Final

Nice one mickjj.

You probably cannot embed this video because they clearly want you to buy it (add to basket). I had the same problem with a Pathe Newsreel clip that was only 2 minutes long but they wanted £40 for it.

Turns out it was not an airship / blimp but an autogyro according to the commentary.

I knew it was some unusual aircraft that could hover above the match, - but I though there was a shot from the ground of the actual filming airship overhead

The commentary is as I expected for the 1930's of the "spiffing game chaps" sort of language but the quip about swapping penknives is missing which was made after Wednesday scored one of their 4 goals.

Is it possible, given that 1935 just about predated television and certainly predates a mass TV audience, that more than one film company (British Movietone, Pathe) made a film of this match?

It is the match I was thinking of but is not quite as I remember it.

Well, at least the final score is as I remember it ;-)

Guest swfcowls

Absolutely fantastic. This was the day the Owls won the cup, my nan & grandad ( both Wednesdayites ) got married with Sheffield United players in attendance ( for some strange reason ) putting sausages in their bed he he

OK so a year has passed since I started this thread another Christmas came along and the Family did it again.To go along with the 1935 Cup Final programme they came up with the community song sheet from the same match. I wonder what they will come up with next year