Famous Sheffield Residents

Sheffield History

How about Samuel Plimsoll (1824-1898)

Although born in Bristol the family moved to Sheffield in 1838 and Samuel was from then on educated in Sheffield.

He is remembered as the pioneer of the "PLIMSOLL LINE" - a line pained on ships to indicate whether they were overloaded and an idea that saved many lives.

The link is their appearance.

Where the rubber sole met the canvas to some people resembled the line marking the junction of two colours on a ships hull.

This line was mistakenly thought of as being the Plimsole Line by some. By others the line above which you would get wet.

Either way it very much suited the makers (mainly Dunlop) as it associated their 'sand shoe' product with the very highest of fashion at the time- leisure time at sea.

Guest littlevickster

Here's one to think about when you jet off to warmer climes for your summer hols. Although the Wright brothers were credited with the invention of the plane in the early 1900's, this wasn't strictly true. The first man to get a plane to fly unaided (albeit only 10ft) was John Stringfellow who was born in Attercliffe in 1799. He flew his plane 10ft in a cotton mill in 1848, some 50 years before the Wright brothers came on the scene. He also invented and patented compact electric batteries which were used in early medical treatments. John Stringfellow moved to Chard, in Somerset, in the late 1820's where he raised his family. He died in 1883. But his legacy lives on with exhibits in the Science Museum, London, the National Air and Space Museum at the Smithsonian Institution, USA and the most comprehensive exhibits are in the museum in his adopted home town of Chard. His children were also talented making breakthroughs into photography and dentistry. John Stringfellow was featured in an episode of Local Heroes which was presented by Adam Hart-Davis.

Guest tsavo

Why isn't Pete willis on the list? He was also in Def Leppard and still lives in Sheffield. All the other band members are listed. He is not a current member but he was the founding member with Rick Savage and wrote and played on their first three albums.

C'mon--give Pete his props!

Ok, Pete is now on the list. I try and keep adding names as they're suggested, but may miss the odd one. Please let me know if I've missed anyone out.

I would like to add a pioneer Surgeon Dr Thomas Leslie Crooke born 1861 Sheffield lived at 84 Langsetts Road ,matriculated Edingurgh University in 1882,arrived NZ 1899 as Senior medical Officer until he resigned in 1910 to private practice.Dr Crooke died in 1943 NZ here in Christchurch.He was a grand pianist and PGO (Past Grand Organist) for the Freemason's and President of the Ch Ch Liedertafel 1926 and elected a life time member having joined in 1902.His father Milward Crooke was Chaplain to the Crimean armed forces.His sister Olive Louise Crooke was a pioneer Pharmacist serving in WW1 and on her return from NZ,was killed at the bombing of the Queen's Gaurds Chapel 1944.Last but not least Dr Crooke was Lord Tennyson's Dr on the Isle of Wight.A placque is dedicated to Dr Crooke for his service to Medicine.Thanks Shane Duffy NZ

Guest leplovrpetefan

Thank you for adding Pete Willlis to the list.

Could you please correct the spelling? The Band name is Def Leppard.

Pete is still a guitarist but is an ex member of the band.

He is also a founding member of the band too.

Thanks again!

Judy Lowe actress was born and went to school in Woodhouse, went on to marry the late Richard Beckinsale.

Jet Harris from The shadows was also from Handsworth I think. He was in a band with my brother when I was a little girl.

Guest tsavo

Thanks Hutch, Judy has been added to the list. Welcome to SH if no one's already welcomed you.

Laurence.

Also the lady in Peters and Lee.... she lived on Penrith Road in Shirecliffe, but can't remember her name.

Also the lady in Peters and Lee.... she lived on Penrith Road in Shirecliffe, but can't remember her name.

Dianne Lee according to the music section "definitive list" on this site.

Hugh :)

Sir John Fowler (Fourth Bridge designer) lived here at Wadsley Hall, Far Lane, Wisewood.

Link to Picture Sheffield, view of Wadsley Hall.

<a href="http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk/cgi-bin/...jpgh/y02120.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk/cgi-bin/...jpgh/y02120.jpg</a>

This image no longer seems to be on the PictureSheffield website, but here is one from Wikipedia: Wadsley Hall

..PictureSheffield does have a picture of Sir John Fowler

Hugh

Guest alantoft

Jet Harris from The shadows was also from Handsworth I think. He was in a band with my brother when I was a little girl.

According to Jet Harris's web site

Birth Date: 6th July 1939

Birth Place: Kingsbury, London

Guest mouse

Do you have Dave Berry on your list born David Grundy at Woddhouse 1941 sang The Crying Game MOUSE

Guest Furahi

George Littlewood

World's Champion Long Distance Runner and Walker

Record for running 623 miles 1320 yards set December 1888 in New York - Record nort broken for 96 years

Record for walking 531 miles 800 yards set March 1882 in Sheffield - Record still stands

Guest tsavo

Do you have Dave Berry on your list born David Grundy at Woddhouse 1941 sang The Crying Game MOUSE

Cheers Mouse. Thought we had that one, but added with thanks.

Guest tsavo

George Littlewood

World's Champion Long Distance Runner and Walker

Record for running 623 miles 1320 yards set December 1888 in New York - Record nort broken for 96 years

Record for walking 531 miles 800 yards set March 1882 in Sheffield - Record still stands

Hell of a long time for a record to stand. Added to the list with thank's.

This is a list of notable people who were born in or near, or have been residents of the City of Sheffield, England.

let us know if you can add to this list..

George Ulyett - all round Cricketer, made debut at Bramall Lane, played for Yorkshire and England against Australia.

Born Pitsmoor, Sheffield 21.10.1851 died 18.6.1898, interred Burngreave Cemetery. See Wikipedia for full details.