Cockshutt Farm Beauchief / Greenhill

Guest Barbara M

Guest Barbara M

Has anybody got any info about Cockshutt Farm in Beauchief Sheffield , specially the cottage , because I have come across a relation who lived there on the 1911 Census .

He is on the Census as a grocers assistant so he was not a farm worker !!

Any help would be appreciated.

Barbara M

I used to graze a pony on the fields belonging to this property in the mid seventies when it was owned by a Mrs Spafford, rumour has it that her neighbour used to be a dancer in "Pans People", I believe the old park cottage, was where the Beauchief Tennis Club is today (if it's still there!!), there is a picture of the Old Cottage on Picture Sheffield.

I used to graze a pony on the fields belonging to this property in the mid seventies when it was owned by a Mrs Spafford, rumour has it that her neighbour used to be a dancer in "Pans People", I believe the old park cottage, was where the Beauchief Tennis Club is today (if it's still there!!), there is a picture of the Old Cottage on Picture Sheffield.

I think the pictures on Picturesheffield may refer to Cockshutts Farm at Norton Lees, somewhere near Backmoor

Harold Armitage refers to it in his book Chantrey Land

Guest Barbara M

Thanks for all your replys, I will go away & digest all that they tell me & get back to you if I need more info.

Cheers & many thanks,

Barbara M

Thanks for all your replys, I will go away & digest all that they tell me & get back to you if I need more info.

Cheers & many thanks,

Barbara M

Please keep us updated; we kind of like this stuff

A report of a fire at the farm in 1895 so that's of no help at all!

From the Sheffield Independent 20 September 1895