Elephant Sidings

Guest StoneToSteel

Guest StoneToSteel

Hi, I am trying to find out any information anyone has on the elephant used at ‘Elephant Sidings’ near Deepcar and Wharncliffe.

I believe ‘Elephant Sidings’ is just a local name as I have not seen it on any documents. But local folk law states that an elephant was used here to unload trains.

This sidings is the next one along from Exchange Sidings which is still marked today on maps.

Does anyone have any information on this or is it just a local myth?

Many thanks

Does anyone have any information on this or is it just a local myth?

Many thanks

hello and welcome.

Well within the realms of possibility StoneToSteel

Elephants have been used in Sheffield in the past

There's a topic here.

Link

Guest StoneToSteel

hello and welcome.

Well within the realms of possibility StoneToSteel

Elephants have been used in Sheffield in the past

There's a topic here.

Link

Hi thanks for your reply.

It's the specific location I am interested in. Was Wards the only company to have elephants?

"Part of the site, on the west above the Stocksbridge railway link, once contained railway sidings. These were laid in the early part of the twentieth century using an elephant employed by the Sheffield engineering company of Thomas Ward".

See - 7.8.3.1. Exchange Sidings,

here ..www.thesteelvalleyproject.

Guest StoneToSteel

"Part of the site, on the west above the Stocksbridge railway link, once contained railway sidings. These were laid in the early part of the twentieth century using an elephant employed by the Sheffield engineering company of Thomas Ward".

See - 7.8.3.1. Exchange Sidings,

here ..www.thesteelvalleyproject.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

The person who wrote that informs me that they can't remember where they sourced that information from and thinks it was just chatting with a local resident, I was hoping to find a solid traceable source, either in text or pictures but have so far drawn a blank.

Guest StoneToSteel

Hi,

Thanks again, I know there was an elephant working in Sheffield at the time, it was specific evidence of her working at this location I was looking for.

Sorry if I'm sounding difficult, I have just drawn a blank using my standard forms of research.

I assume if Lizzie is the only elephant working in Sheffield at this time than it is conceivable that she did indeed work at this sidings, it is the hard proof of this that I am looking for.

Thanks again

Hi,

Thanks again, I know there was an elephant working in Sheffield at the time, it was specific evidence of her working at this location I was looking for.

Sorry if I'm sounding difficult, I have just drawn a blank using my standard forms of research.

I assume if Lizzie is the only elephant working in Sheffield at this time than it is conceivable that she did indeed work at this sidings, it is the hard proof of this that I am looking for.

Thanks again

I'm looking, honest !

Just putting up what we have about Lizzie - for newer Members, plus maybe to jump-start some of our .. erm ... slightly longer serving Members (That sounds polite enough he he )

It's a tough question, I can appreciate that having had a bash at it - on and off - for a couple of hours.

Good Luck and please keep us up to date.

There is a two part article on the Stocksbridge Railway in Railway Bylines Magazine Volume 12 (Nos 6 and 7), by Martin Connop Price. In this article the following statement is made:

"During the busy years of World War II new sidings were laid near the Deepcar end of the Stocksbridge Railway. They were intended to hold incoming traffic for the steelworks, but in the event were little used as such. They therefore became regarded as a white elephant and gained the nickname of the "Elephant Sidings".

Guest StoneToSteel

ooo that is interesting!

Thanks everyone for your help! You are all being really helpful! I am really grateful!

If anyone comes across any more information please let us know.

cheers!

Guest Dave W

There is a two part article on the Stocksbridge Railway in Railway Bylines Magazine Volume 12 (Nos 6 and 7), by Martin Connop Price. In this article the following statement is made:

"During the busy years of World War II new sidings were laid near the Deepcar end of the Stocksbridge Railway. They were intended to hold incoming traffic for the steelworks, but in the event were little used as such. They therefore became regarded as a white elephant and gained the nickname of the "Elephant Sidings".

During the late 50's and early 60's all the works loco's were mothballed there.

Hi All

I am a local to Stocksbridge and have heard the reference to the Sidings being called Elephant sidings but as to the derivation of the name I don't know but will do some more digging.

Try this website for a history of the local railways and a history of the Stocksbridge area.

http://www.stocksbridgehs.co.uk/railways/

As for Lizzy the Elephant try the same website and type in Elephant to view a photo.

Sedgie