Any Ideas

sando

I have a copy of the attched picture that is supposedly a view towards Sheffield, but I have know idea where from, but suspect possibvly Brightside, can anyone shed any further light on the picture, please?

Sorry cannot rotate the picture.

I can lol

I have a copy of the attched picture that is supposedly a view towards Sheffield, but I have know idea where from, but suspect possibvly Brightside, can anyone shed any further light on the picture, please?

Identify the Church on the horizon ... I've no idea at the moment.

(Wrong way round for St George's from Commonside)

Identify the Church on the horizon ... I've no idea at the moment.

(Wrong way round for St George's from Commonside)

To my mind the church looks a bit like St. Pauls in the city centre. If it is then I reckon it could be taken from somewhere over Heeley way according to the orientation.

That might be the river Sheaf down in the bottom of the valley.

HD

Sorry cannot rotate the picture.

I can lol

Is it an "artists impression" do you think ? It looks rather like one of the illustrations by J. Edward Vickers. Perhaps there is a bit of artistic licence involved.

As I posted before, the church does appear to have a lantern tower and was built around 1720 with the dome added in 1769 when it would still be right on the edge of town.

HD

Is it an "artists impression" do you think ? It looks rather like one of the illustrations by J. Edward Vickers. Perhaps there is a bit of artistic licence involved.

As I posted before, the church does appear to have a lantern tower and was built around 1720 with the dome added in 1769 when it would still be right on the edge of town.

HD

I think you're right HD, it has the look and style of an artists impression, and the church looks very much like the shape you see in genuine old views of the town.

Pic could have been inverted at some point, when flipped it has the look of rivelin valley, like the view from Google Earth from close to the Rivein boozer:

(View from Google Earth)

Pic could have been inverted at some point, when flipped it has the look of rivelin valley, like the view from Google Earth from close to the Rivein boozer:

(View from Google Earth)

An intriguing thought Richard, and I see what you mean. Any idea what that would make the church on the horizon?