Quarries In Victorian Times

ex cavator

Would there be any information on the locations of the quarries in the Walkley / Crookes areas in the 1900s available ! kevin

would there be any information on the locations of the quarrys in the walkley / crookes areas in the 1900,s available ! kevin

This was one.

I used to live next door to the shop.

Behind the houses there's a 15ft high stone wall which is built from gigantic stones.

When we sold the house they made us get the wall checked for safety as there was a bit of an overhang. The surveyor said that there was no chance of it ever moving because behind the wall was solid rock, the face of the old quarry.

Google Streetview

If you drive around the area there seems to be evidence of a lot of small quarrys.

thanks ! i was wondering if there was any council records available on here as once the quarries where finished they where usualy just filled in or iether built on or left ! many are detailed in the maps on here and old-maps.com but not every where is covered ! kevin

would there be any information on the locations of the quarrys in the walkley / crookes areas in the 1900,s available ! kevin

I used to live in a house in Mona Avenue which was built on the remains of a small quarry that extended up through Western Road into Cobden View Road. I believe that it was a shallow quarry made by extraction of clay for the short-lived Crookes Brick Works.

The major quarry in Crookes was Nadins Quarry under the Bole Hills where the present day BMX track is. This quarry was used for the dumpling of "night-soil" early in the 20th century. There was another deep quarry where the kiddies playground is at Lydgate Lane.

I think this was filled in just after WW2. There were also quarries around Crookes Cemetery. There would be little "stone delphs" all around Crookes to enable the building of houses although many were faced with stone dug out of there own cellars apparently.

HD

White's 1911

Frank Eyre, Builder and quarry owner, 47 Clarence Road, Hillsborough; Quarries, Bole Hill Lane, Crookes

White's 1852

John Nixon Quarry owner Crookes; h. 30 Radford Street

Thomas Cundy Farmer And Quarry Owner Whitehouse Lane

Jonathan Sanderson Quarry owner Lydgate Lane

John Spooner Quarry owner and farmer Bole Hill, Crookes

George Creswick Stone Quarry Owner Crookes

John Bennett Quarry owner Ran Moor

White's 1833

A & S BENNETT Quarry owners Ranmoor

John BENNETT Quarry owner & beerhouse Stephen Hill

H. BRADWELL Quarry owner Lidgate

James SPOONER Quarry owner Crooks

John STEAD Quarry owner Crooks

Kelly's 1893

Joseph Andrews Builder, Contractor & Quarry Owner Springfield House, Crookes

John Nadin Stone merchant & quarry owner 239 Western Road, Crookes Kelly's 1893

Jonathan Sanderson Quarry owner 33 Cross Lane, Crooks

Fred Elliott quarry owner Brookhouse Quarry, Fulwood

William Unwin Quarry owner 252 Western Road, Crookes

Thomas Cowley Fawley Quarry owner 275 Walkley Lane, Walkley

Spooner - Rd

Cundy - Street

Elliott - Road

Coincidence ?

--------------------------

Houses on Longfield Rd are built on spoil from the quarrying.

The footings for an extension on my son's house went down for "miles" before we got underneath it

Spooner - Rd

Cundy - Street

Elliott - Road

Coincidence ?

The footings for an extension on my son's house went down for "miles" before we got underneath it

Elliott Rd is after Ebenezer Elliott,. Spooner Rd is after the Spooner family of Tapton House who owned land in the area, but you're dead right about Cundy St, after Thomas Cundy.

The Spooner family is quite a sad story. Joshua died leaving his estate to his 2 sons, William and Peter. He left five-sixths to William, and just one-sixth to Peter, who was lame "and would not need so much". Ironically William died in 1874 and the whole estate passed to Peter, but he died just 2 years later.

Elliott Rd is after Ebenezer Elliott,. Spooner Rd is after the Spooner family of Tapton House who owned land in the area, but you're dead right about Cundy St, after Thomas Cundy.

The Spooner family is quite a sad story. Joshua died leaving his estate to his 2 sons, William and Peter. He left five-sixths to William, and just one-sixth to Peter, who was lame "and would not need so much". Ironically William died in 1874 and the whole estate passed to Peter, but he died just 2 years later.

I had a couple of connections with the Spooner family who of course owned at one time large quantities of land in Hallam.

We used to have a drink in the Cobden View and this was also patronised by Joe Spooner who at that time still owned a lot of property in Crookes and had sold off a great deal more to sitting tenants. Joe lived in a big house set at right-angles between Western Road and Cobden View near the pub. Joe was very "careful" with his money and used to encourage people to buy crisps for his little scottie dog. He had a son Tim

who died at virtually the same time as his dad.

The other connection is that we lived later on St. Anthony Road which was built by George Spooner, Joe's brother on Spooner land. He had a farm on Toftwood Road which has now been converted into housing. I think George died before we went to Crookes in 1973.

The Spooner Wheels (now Rivelin playground) also belonged to the same family.

Hallamgate, the big house which stood where the Tapton Hall of Residence (shortly to be demolished) now stands was the family seat, built in 1760.

There is some interesting information about the Spooners in the two Crookes local history books compliled by the Crookes Local History Group.

HD

Spooner - Rd

Cundy - Street

Elliott - Road

Coincidence ?

I was told that the Bole Hills playing field area was built on a council "night-soil" tip.

Are you sure that it was quarry spoil you were digging out. lol

HD

Kelly's 1893

Joseph Andrews Builder, Contractor & Quarry Owner Springfield House, Crookes

John Nadin Stone merchant & quarry owner 239 Western Road, Crookes Kelly's 1893

Jonathan Sanderson Quarry owner 33 Cross Lane, Crooks

Fred Elliott quarry owner Brookhouse Quarry, Fulwood

William Unwin Quarry owner 252 Western Road, Crookes

Thomas Cowley Fawley Quarry owner 275 Walkley Lane, Walkley

My dad has been looking into our familly tree and has unearthed that Jonathan Sanderson, Quarry owner, Cross lane was a distant reletaive, this was really wierd as we now live on the site of said quarry.

some interesting info there lads thanks ! just wondering why tapton hall of residence is going to be demolished and whats the history behind the building !

some interesting info there lads thanks ! just wondering why tapton hall of residence is going to be demolished and whats the history behind the building !

I think Tapton HoR is surplus to requirements now the new student village(s) are up and running. And the site must be worth a bob or two!

Hallamgate had a chequered history after the Spooners left, several private owners and then for a time Mr. Greaves the mail-order king made wireless sets there but apparently they were never very popular. It was then used to produce electronic assemblies and a colleague of mine worked there just after WW2 producing special wiring assemblies for military aircraft. The firm then was owned by Plessey. When they moved out I understand the place was bought by the U. of S. and demolished.

HD

White's 1911

Herbert and Ernest Andrews, Bole Hill Quarries, Bole Hill Road & Bell Hagg Quarries

Quarries of the United Kingdom & Northern Ireland 1858

Quarry - Bell Hag, Sheffield

Owner - Vicar of Sheffield (William Townsend)

Local name of stone - Grit

Geological Formation - Millstone Grit

Purpose to which applied - Ashlar Blocks, Wall Stone etc.

Price of stone at quarry - 10d per cubic foot

Average Annual Produce - 1,200 tons

I walked past this very modern street recently, just off Darnall Rd, S9. Does it fit anywhere into your findings vox?

I walked past this very modern street recently, just off Darnall Rd, S9. Does it fit anywhere into your findings vox?

It being brick related, I moved the posts to here Calvin