Cromwell Cottages

syrup

Hi fellow SHs

A fellow drinker in my local Public House would like to find out the History of his house

it was built around 1750 acording to local knowlege and is known as Cromwel Cottages

its location is Thornwell Lane Thorpe Hesley.

Hope some one can help..

On further investigations in my Local it seems these Cottages were named Thornwell hill Cottages with the address of Thornwell Hill

There were either 5 or 6 in total and more than likely belonged to the Wentworth Woodhouse Estates and the date could have been mid

1800s rather than 1750 as i stated in my previous post.

Guest magaloof

hi syrup. re cromwell house. i lived at no2 thornwell hill with my parents in the 60s and 70s.there were 4 cottages in total. members of my family the Spurrs occupied three cottages and the Bennett family in one other. it was a beautiful place to live. in 1973 the estate evicted every one so they could sell them off .my ma and pa moved to a council house in harley. hope this is of interest to you dude.

hi syrup. re cromwell house. i lived at no2 thornwell hill with my parents in the 60s and 70s.there were 4 cottages in total. members of my family the Spurrs occupied three cottages and the Bennett family in one other. it was a beautiful place to live. in 1973 the estate evicted every one so they could sell them off .my ma and pa moved to a council house in harley. hope this is of interest to you dude.

Hello magaloof and welcome to the Site,

I was trying to find the History of said Cottages for a fellow drinker in my local who is living there now,

i have put him on course and he is now traceing the History himself now, thank you for your information

and i will pass it on to him.

Guest magaloof

hello again. my grandad was born in 1884 and lived at no3 thornwell hill all his life. he told us the cottages were originally nail makers cottages.there was a disused well in our garden which had serviced nearby houses .it was filled in as apparrently it was the source of some disease in the 1900s.hope this is of interest to the owner of cromwell house. i am new to the internet so this is so fascinating for me to read .kind regards