Just Wanted To Wish Everyone A Happy New Year

Guest plain talker

A Happy New Year & Best Wishes To All

Same from me, Happy New Year everybody

DaveH

NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Perhaps Everyone except Bayleaf, Stuart and myself should get their eyes tested this year

Why has everyone suddenly started using very large type? :unsure: , Am I missing something? <_<

Same from me, Happy New Year everybody

DaveH

Why has everyone suddenly started using very large type? :unsure: , Am I missing something? <_<

There's nothing wrong with my eyes, well not since the operations anyway. (from extreme short-sight to 6/6 vision [eyesights gone metric], isn't the NHS wonderful). lol

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE !

HD

Guest carlie167

A little late but I'd like to wish everyone a Happy and Healthy New Year, may it be a good one for all of us. :)

There's nothing wrong with my eyes, well not since the operations anyway. (from extreme short-sight to 6/6 vision [eyesights gone metric], isn't the NHS wonderful). lol

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE !

HD

I am sure this large type thing is all part of a cunning plot HD.

Since I mentioned it the following posts all seem to be in normal size text. <_<

My last eyesight test in in November said my eyesight was OK and hardly changed from my previous test. The retinopathy pictures showed no damage or change.

However, to see at varying distances I now use either no glasses at all (OK for long distance and driving, - well up to test standard), my weak pair (OK for watching TV), my medium pair (OK for day to day use, I can read through them and see everything else by looking threateningly over the top of the frame. As a school teacher I wear these all the time at work!) and my strong pair (best for extended reading or doing fine close up work). Even with all this I am sometimes at a loss as to which pair is best to use for a particular job and at times whatever I do it still looks blurred (usually after a few drinks lol ). I keep putting pairs down and then can't find them or get them mixed up with another pair. I know that a pair of Varifocals would probably be better and my optician has only just got around to recommending them so that could be my 2011 New Year treat to myself.

However, at work when I am asked to look at something, read something or do something immediately with a certain amount of rush I always like to work on the "Harold Wilson Principle".

You will remember when Wilson was Prime Minister in the 1960's that if he was asked an awkward political question he would respond by very calmy taking his pipe out of his top pocket, filling it with tobacco, lighting it and then taking a few puffs on it before even starting to answer the question. This had the desired effect, for him, of slowing the questioner down and giving him plenty of thinking time to compose his reply.

I do something very similar but as I don't smoke (not that you can in a school or public building these days) it involves finding a pair of glasses first, making sure they are the wrong pair so that I can waste a bit of time trying to get the "right" pair for what they want me to look at. It has the same effect as Wilson created with his pipe.

Further to this, I am pretty sure that Wilson copied this trick from Churchill who did the same thing with a cigar.

I am sure this large type thing is all part of a cunning plot HD.

Since I mentioned it the following posts all seem to be in normal size text. <_<

My last eyesight test in in November said my eyesight was OK and hardly changed from my previous test. The retinopathy pictures showed no damage or change.

However, to see at varying distances I now use either no glasses at all (OK for long distance and driving, - well up to test standard), my weak pair (OK for watching TV), my medium pair (OK for day to day use, I can read through them and see everything else by looking threateningly over the top of the frame. As a school teacher I wear these all the time at work!) and my strong pair (best for extended reading or doing fine close up work). Even with all this I am sometimes at a loss as to which pair is best to use for a particular job and at times whatever I do it still looks blurred (usually after a few drinks lol ). I keep putting pairs down and then can't find them or get them mixed up with another pair. I know that a pair of Varifocals would probably be better and my optician has only just got around to recommending them so that could be my 2011 New Year treat to myself.

However, at work when I am asked to look at something, read something or do something immediately with a certain amount of rush I always like to work on the "Harold Wilson Principle".

You will remember when Wilson was Prime Minister in the 1960's that if he was asked an awkward political question he would respond by very calmy taking his pipe out of his top pocket, filling it with tobacco, lighting it and then taking a few puffs on it before even starting to answer the question. This had the desired effect, for him, of slowing the questioner down and giving him plenty of thinking time to compose his reply.

I do something very similar but as I don't smoke (not that you can in a school or public building these days) it involves finding a pair of glasses first, making sure they are the wrong pair so that I can waste a bit of time trying to get the "right" pair for what they want me to look at. It has the same effect as Wilson created with his pipe.

Further to this, I am pretty sure that Wilson copied this trick from Churchill who did the same thing with a cigar.

From being about 10 years old I have suffered from being short-sighted. Over the years it gradually got worse until it settled down to about minus 7/8 in both eyes. It used to cost me a fortune for lenses in highly refractive material and they still looked like milk bottle bottoms and the weight dragged them down to the end of my nose. I attribute most of my promotion successes to looking like a mad professor. lol

About 5 years ago I noticed that my vision was getting a bit blurred and visited the optician, he diagnosed a cataract in my right eye and sent me to the eye clinic. The consultant told me that they would replace my lens with a artificial one and that unfortunately they could not correct the vision in just one eye because the brain can only cope with a difference of around 2 diopter.

Four days before the procedure was due to take place I climbed a few steps of the aluminium loft ladder to place a paint tin in the loft. I was wearing plastic soled carpet slippers and of course I have no feeling in my left leg due to surgery. The next thing, I came round having shot my right foot through the ladder and gone over backwards, clouting my head against a return portion of wall. "That's funny" I thought "why is my right foot at right-angles to it's normal orientation".

The eye operation had to be canceled and I had the three broken bones in my foot/leg fixed instead.

When I went back to the eye clinic I saw a different consultant who "reckoned" to see the start of a cataract in the other eye and said I could have them both corrected. I had them done one at a time, ( local anesthetic, no need to take your boots off ) .

When they'd settled down I had normal vision, 6/6 (20/20 as was ) in one eye and better than normal in the other eye.

Of course the plastic lenses cannot be stretched by your eye muscles and I need glasses for close work. I had the optician make me some varifocals with no correction at the top and my close work prescription along the bottom. I tilt my head to suit.

Normally at home I wear them constantly but don't need them for driving, the instrument panel is far enough away to be in focus and if leave them on I find that the frames restrict my peripheral vision.

As a way of getting good eye-sight it can't be recommended but what a joy to look at the distant sky-line and make out every tiny detail.

HD

Guest grumplwick

Hi I am new on here but know HD very well indeed , I have enjoyed reading all the content & found it informative & entertaining so I will take this opportunity to wish you all the best for the new year especially HD & wife .from Mr & Mrs. L late of dykes hall road (the garden bomber)

Hi I am new on here but know HD very well indeed , I have enjoyed reading all the content & found it informative & entertaining so I will take this opportunity to wish you all the best for the new year especially HD & wife .from Mr & Mrs. L late of dykes hall road (the garden bomber)

Welcome to Sheffield History grumplwick, thank you for making your first post and I am glad you are enjoying the contents of Sheffield History.

HD (hilldweller) is a very well respected member of Sheffield History and is a frequent poster of historical, educational, enlightening and often entertaining and amusing information. We enjoy having members like that, so we hope to be hearing more from you in the new year grumplwick.

May I take this opportunity of wishing you and your family a very happy new year and all the best for 2012

Hmm... "the garden bomber", you could have used that as a username instead of grumplwick.

Then again "the garden bomber" makes you sound a bit like one of those IRA terrorists from a couple of decades ago so perhaps not.

I'm sure that either you or hilldweller will explain how you got that unusual nickname, I feel sure there's an amusing story hiden behind it.

Hmm... "the garden bomber", you could have used that as a username instead of grumplwick.

Then again "the garden bomber" makes you sound a bit like one of those IRA terrorists from a couple of decades ago so perhaps not.

I'm sure that either you or hilldweller will explain how you got that unusual nickname, I feel sure there's an amusing story hiden behind it.

If Grumplwick is who I think he is, then the story was posted on here a long time ago. It involved a big bundle of Standard 321 bangers, a bit of resistance wire, a polythene bag, a length of flex, a large low voltage mains transformer and a garden full of prize dahlias. If anyone wants to know how to uproot 30 dahlia plants in 20 milliseconds I may be able to help.

I understand from his sister that my fellow demolition expert had gone to live in foreign parts (the north Yorkshire coast) the last time I saw her.

Anyway may I wish Grumplwick and his family all the best from Hilldweller Towers and that goes for all SH forummers as well.

Happy New Year Everyone

HD

Happy New Year everyone

Don't know about big type but my page as gone very wide and won't all fit on my screen any more all other forums are ok so it's not my fault!!

If Grumplwick is who I think he is, then the story was posted on here a long time ago. It involved a big bundle of Standard 321 bangers, a bit of resistance wire, a polythene bag, a length of flex, a large low voltage mains transformer and a garden full of prize dahlias. If anyone wants to know how to uproot 30 dahlia plants in 20 milliseconds I may be able to help.

Not seen that one done by Alan Titchmarsh!

A Happy New Year from me to all Sheffield History members as well.

I'm off to the pub,just to keep them in business , you understand. he he

But while you are there you will get a history of the pub and a complete list of all it's keepers from the day it first opened to the present day for posting in the pubs section.