Just Wanted To Wish Everyone A Happy New Year

Guest plain talker

And a happy new year from me too - nice to see 2 Sheffield football teams fighting for promotion - even if they are the wrong weway round (for the moment!)

and a 2nd of 2012 "A Happy 2012 to all"

..and always remember that, -

2012 pronounced TWO THOUSAND AND TWELVE, is just a number between 2011 and 2013

2012 pronounced TWENTY - TWELVE is the name of this actual year

2012 on a digital 24-hour clock is pronounced JUST AFTER 10 PAST 8 IN THE EVENING

..and always remember that, -

2012 pronounced TWO THOUSAND AND TWELVE, is just a number between 2011 and 2013

2012 pronounced TWENTY - TWELVE is the name of this actual year

2012 on a digital 24-hour clock is pronounced JUST AFTER 10 PAST 8 IN THE EVENING

Thanks Dave for clearing that up :P

Thanks Dave for clearing that up :P

Your welcome.

But as you well know Stuart, time is a subject that fascinates and haunts me, - that's why I'm always pretty good at the "what year did this happen" questions in the boozer quizes and why I liked history in the first place.

I can't actually look at a 4 digit number of the form19** without automatically and subconciously interpreting it as a year, - and now it's happening with 20** numbers as well.

Then of course I got quite wound up about it during the "millenium".

Most people celebrated it a year early, even those who should know better, because they couldn't count up to 100, or because they had the erronious belief that there must have been a year called 0AD (or 0BC) at the start of the Christian calendar (there wasn't). Sensible people like me and you correctly celebrated the start of the new century and millenium on 31 Dec 2000 / 1 Jan 2001 and NOT a year earlier like the majority.

Tied up with that was my annoyance that people started calling the year "two thousand" rather than "twenty hundred" as it should be. (Ask the same people who thay would say the year 1900, exactly a century earlier, - I bet they don't say "one thousand nine hundred" but come out with the more correct "nineteen hundred instead). This incorrect wording has carried on almost to the present day and it is still annoying. Hence my reason for the "clarification"

Sports people are not well known for being the cleverest people in the World are they?

It has taken them (or at least TV sports presenters, who are often so amzingly thick that they can't even put together a sensible coherent sentence in plain English) about 10 years to learn how to get years right.

They called the last Olympics the "two thousand and eight" Olympics

They are calling this years the "twenty twelve" Olympics

Only taken them a decade to get it right.