Hiking Group At Mystery Pub?

miked

I have 1,933 Joseph's on my list of publicans he he

I have found another letter on the "Pub" sign Its Joseph N........ (... and yes, ok, it could be a middle name)

The second from left hiker is Eric Audoire 1913- 1986, married to a Ruby then a Flo. Lived in Walkley, I think. Fits in with my "idea" that the "Pub" is that side of Sheffield, probably walking distance

Can anyone suggest a date from the hiking gear?

Cheers

I have found another letter on the "Pub" sign Its Joseph N........ (... and yes, ok, it could be a middle name)

The second from left hiker is Eric Audoire 1913- 1986, married to a Ruby then a Flo. Lived in Walkley, I think. Fits in with my "idea" that the "Pub" is that side of Sheffield, probably walking distance

Cheers

Looks remarkably like "The Old Heavygate Inn"??

I think you may have it, it looks like the "oldest pub in Sheffield" in the pic. I am trying to find a recent pic, I know its been altered, a lot.

They didnt walk far then. All I need to do now is find out who is pals are, may be alive, just.

Thanks and well done. I will try and get a better pic to confirm

FOUND THIS ON WIKI (not convinced with all of it) - "In the 17th century Walkley was connected to the village of Owlerton by the pack horse track which ascended Walkley Lane and continued to Crookes, it became a turnpike road and a heavy gate was placed across the road where tolls were collected.[2] The Old Heavygate Inn was constructed at this point in 1696 and still stands today, it has walls two feet thick"

I reckon it was on the "Rackerway"

The pub does not possess an old picture, does anyone else? Picture Sheffield does not seem to have one.

Well spotted, I was never going to find it via my two known keepers (1871 & 1948).

I lived nearby for a while (Birkendale, Howard Street, and Greenhow Street; sister lived on Bankhouse Road ...

Well spotted, I was never going to find it via my two known keepers (1871 & 1948).

I lived nearby for a while (Birkendale, Howard Street, and Greenhow Street; sister lived on Bankhouse Road ...

I used to live on Matlock Road so am pretty familiar with it, the back wall of the former buildings still exists and you can see blocked up doors and windows, from the pub car park.

Cheers

That's the kind of "hike" my Dad used to take - round the corner; walking distance, I could crawl back home from there back in the day ..

actually, at 108 Hadfield Street I was aged about 7 so probably more into sweets and pop - was there a shop, on the flat bit, just on the way to the Princess Royal ???

Am I missing something or is The Heavygate (Walkley) missing from our pub list ??

It isn't on the index.

More than happy to be alerted to Pubs missing from the list; often they are hidden by "The", "New", "Old", or hidden behind an older name e.g. Fat Cat, which correctly (for the topic) is under Alma, but could easily be under The Alma or, strictly speaking, under its original name The Kelham Tavern.

If I offered to buy you a drink in "The Hero and his Horse" how many would know the place ? (no cheating, just off the top of yer baldy head Vox !)

Sometimes they are on the beerhouse list (sometbhing which needs attention, but merging the two is going to be quite some undertaking - especially whilst the Pubs updates are ongoing - try again in a year !).

The Bird-fella at Grenoside is one that has been brought to our attention, the original list was of my making, so boundries and the ever extending Sheffield are decidedly biased by my own knowledge/experience (i.e. there is a very strong chance, I've missed somewhere important Strines, Fox House, Old Mothers Kneecap and so on - should these be on the list, or not ? Answer, no 100% true answer available).

Modern Pubs, especially with a keeper are most welcome; just don't expect Ukelele Lady or me to get around to the "Pig and Whistle" anytime within the next ten years !

I'm especially happy to receive "The XYZ on Fishcake Street closed in 1992; you have it as Still Open " - type messages.