Woodhouse Co-Operative Society

sando

I have just found this document refereing to the updateing of Woodhouse co-op society branch 7, does anyone know where branch 7 was and if the 'new' building is still standing, when was the old building demolished to make way for the new, as it looks as though the old building may be bomb damaged, as the display window appears to be plastic/ polythene? It must have been a fantastic update, from befor to after.

I have just found this document refereing to the updateing of Woodhouse co-op society branch 7, does anyone know where branch 7 was and if the 'new' building is still standing, when was the old building demolished to make way for the new, as it looks as though the old building may be bomb damaged, as the display window appears to be plastic/ polythene? It must have been a fantastic update, from befor to after.

I think what we're seeing on the window is the small mesh wire grill that many shops used to have to protect the windows. Also some shops had a colour tinted sheet inside the window to protect display items from sunlight. Usually yellow I seem to remember. I'm trying to remember what the material was called. Way before polythene and modern plastics. Dave H will know what it was made of.

Does it say "INDUSTRIAL" Cooperative Society on the sign ?

============

Edit:

Just noticed the post box. Removed and built back into the new wall. That's nice.

I think what we're seeing on the window is the small mesh wire grill that many shops used to have to protect the windows. Also some shops had a colour tinted sheet inside the window to protect display items from sunlight. Usually yellow I seem to remember. I'm trying to remember what the material was called. Way before polythene and modern plastics. Dave H will know what it was made of.

Does it say "INDUSTRIAL" Cooperative Society on the sign ?

============

Edit:

Just noticed the post box. Removed and built back into the new wall. That's nice.

On closer inspection of the original sign, it looks like it may say handsworth and woodhouse Industrial co-operative Society, with a minimum of seven stores it looks like they were quite popular in the area

I'm sure I've seen this building before, any ideas of the location

I'm sure I've seen this building before, any ideas of the location

Sorry I have no idea where branch 7 was, but the building is typical of a number older village type of co-op stores

Sorry I have no idea where branch 7 was, but the building is typical of a number older village type of co-op stores

I could have seen similar somewhere else perhaps,

This is the building today, being at Normanton Springs explains why I recognised it, from my time at Hackenthorpe

Courtesy of Google SV

Just beat me to it. I was ticking off a list of 10 Woodhouse Co-op branches listed in my 1940's Kelly's.

I'd just got to looking for entry number 7 (Anston branch) on Google Maps,and Normanton Spring branch is number 8 in the listings.

Secretary & Manager at that time was the wonderfully named Milton Duckworth.

HD

Guest transit

... just to let you know , the new front facade and modernisation of the building was done around 10 years ago , when bought by Lifestyle Mortgage Co. for use as their offices. (who were previously on the Woodhouse shops)

Manor Press have been there for around the last 5 years .

OK

So we have found branch No. 7 of the Woodhouse Co-operative society, branch 8 is described on picture Sheffield as Church Lane Hackenthorpe

http://www.picturesheffield.com/jpgh/s16922.jpg

So is this building what is now the Pearl Cutters

Courtesy of Google SV

OK

So we have found branch No. 7 of the Woodhouse Co-operative society, branch 8 is described on picture Sheffield as Church Lane Hackenthorpe

http://www.picturesh...jpgh/s16922.jpg

So is this building what is now the Pearl Cutters

Courtesy of Google SV

If you turn the streetview to "full frontal" the general dimensions of the main building look very similar.

Is there a date on the PicSheff ?

The pearl cutters were there in early 50's and there was a "1930's ?" Co-Op just up the road. (Now demolished)

If you turn the streetview to "full frontal" the general dimensions of the main building look very similar.

Is there a date on the PicSheff ?

The pearl cutters were there in early 50's and there was a "1930's ?" Co-Op just up the road. (Now demolished)

No date on Picture Sheffield

Didn't this building used to be a CO-OP years ago, before the B&C at the "Top Shops" on Birley Spa Lane. I can only remember the Top Shops B&C

Courtesy of Google SV

Depends what you mean by "modern" plastics vox

Polythene itself dates back to the 1930's but was not a popularly used material until the late 1950's, as were most polymers (plastics)

Cellophane and Perspex have both been around a long time.

Cellophane (frquently used in coloured sweet wrappers) seems a good choice for covering windows due to its coloured transparency and its existing use for wrapping sweets such as Quality Street and Roses.

Cellophane itself is based on earlier plastics made from natural cellulose such as celluloid which had been used in the photography on film industry since the late 1880's

No date on Picture Sheffield

Didn't this building used to be a CO-OP years ago, before the B&C at the "Top Shops" on Birley Spa Lane. I can only remember the Top Shops B&C

Courtesy of Google SV

Yep - that's where it was in the 50's, before Elams and the other top shops were built.

It looks like it was converted to houses as opposed to having been demolished and re-built.

Never thought of that. Obviously didn't take much notice at the time.

Yep - that's where it was in the 50's, before Elams and the other top shops were built.

It looks like it was converted to houses as opposed to having been demolished and re-built.

Never thought of that. Obviously didn't take much notice at the time.

When we 1st moved up to Hackenthorpe in 1970 it was still a dis-used shop, I think

The building on the other corner remained a shop for longer, forgot the name now but they also had a DIY type shop just further on than Howards.

Courtesy of Google SV