Holiday Inn Royal Victoria - History & 150Th Anniversary Events

Guest dk_history

Guest dk_history

Hi all.

I'm starting to compile a study on the Royal Victoria Hotel, Victoria Railway Station and the surrounding area of Sheffield.

I am looking for as much information as possible to facilitate my study which, will be used to compile a book.

In addition to photos, I am looking for as many stories as people have. The main categories are:

* Former employees of the hotel, railway station or neighbouring businesses

* Major entertainment, Dinners and Conferences held at the property or surrounding areas

* Memorabilia - particularly photographable memorabilia for inclusion in a publication

* Family links regarding ownership of land, buildings, businesses in the area

* Other Anecdotes - humourous, serious, touching and memorable

* Any other interesting matters which you feel may be relevant

In addition to the book, the hotel is 150 years old in 2012 and I am looking to arrange a number of events over the next 2 years to celebrate the 150th Anniversary:

Current potential line-ups (confirmed and un-confirmed) are as follows:

* Matt Monro Jnr - 15/01/2011 (confirmed - PM or Email me for full information). Matt Monro (Snr) stayed at the hotel a number of times on his visits to Sheffield.

* SLO (Syd Lawrence Orchestra)- Early stages of talks but, planned for 2012. The SLO performed their first public engagement away from Liverpool at the Royal Victoria Hotel.

* Junction 33 Dance Band - Supporting Matt Monro Jnr on 15/01/2011 but, further appearances are planned for dinner-dances and 1940s events throughout the following 2 years.

* Brass Band Contest - Early stages of planning - Featuring local brass bands in an entertainment contest.

* Local Acts - Early plans to contact Boy on a Dolphin, Lindsay Dracass, Paul Carrack, Richard Hawley and other local performers with a view to holding events over the next 2 years.

If you have any ideas of other events which I could look at for the anniversary celebrations or, if you would like to take part in any events, please let me know.

To contact me or other members of the team, please PM me or send me an email through my profile.

Many Thanks

Dave Keighley

KP Entertainment

May be a bit late, but in the late 60's I heard of a meal they served which I think they called an Albert. Apparently it consisted of many courses and was quite expensive. The rumour goes though, that if you could eat it all, you got it for fee.

Guest nanantracey

i used to work there about 14 yrs ago and it was very spooky alot of the guest who stayed in room 302 used to complain that some one was in their room.