Hospital

RichardB

Any idea what this place was, opposite one of the entrances to the Park (what is this Parl called ?), the one with the Lake; I have an idea it may have once been a hospital for scarlet fever sufferers, but my Dad may have been "extracting the urine" somewhat. Also what were its later uses ? And whats the boozer called, a bit further down the hill, on the same side ?

Any idea what this place was, opposite one of the entrances to the Park (what is this Parl called ?), the one with the Lake; I have an idea it may have once been a hospital for scarlet fever sufferers, but my Dad may have been "extracting the urine" somewhat. Also what were its later uses ? And whats the boozer called, a bit further down the hill, on the same side ?

HI RICHARDB.

I THINK YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT WINTER STREET HOSPITAL WHICH WAS THE ORIGINAL CANCER HOSPITAL.NOT MANY CAME OUT OF THERE.I SUFFERED SCARLET FEVER BUT ENDED UP AT LODGE MOOR AGAIN. AND THE PARK IS CROOKES VALLEY PARK. PLAYED AND FISHED IN THAT PARK MANY TIMES.

THANKS FOR CORRECTING ME HOLBERRY. I'M GETTING A BIT OUT DATED SINCE MOVING!!!

Thanks for that, probably not the done thing in the late '60's to tell a kid about Cancer Hospitals, my father also had scarlet fever, in the 1920's

Guest coffee cup

We were taken round this Hospital wnen I was at Primary School, when were studying the Victorians, I remember one of the nurses that showed us round said it was haunted. Some of the nursing staff had seen the ghost of and old frail lady with long grey hair dressed in a white gown walking the corridors at night.

Don't think our teacher was too impressed as were scared to death, we were only about 9 years old.

Guest holberry

hi, richard b the pub below the hospital is the star and garter the park is crookes valley not crookes moor the cobbled road beside the hospital is dart square ( opposite side to mushroom lane ) the back wall of the hospital used to join our back yard at the weston park hotel ( summer st weston st )

hi, richard b the pub below the hospital is the star and garter the park is crookes valley not crookes moor the cobbled road beside the hospital is dart square ( opposite side to mushroom lane ) the back wall of the hospital used to join our back yard at the weston park hotel ( summer st weston st )

Thanks Holberry ! Information most gratefully received :rolleyes:

Info most welcome, my brain is losing the plot !

Now, Redgates, a picture of the outside, you have one hidden away, showing the sign, I know you have - now post it here and become the biggest star ever in this Forum (alternatively ask your family/friends if they have one) - we are desperate for this picture !!!!

Spread the word, we need a picture of the outside of Redgates .......

The hospital was for people suffering from TB. My mam was a nurse there in the 1950's and as a result all us kids had to have TB injections which were not normally given until you got to your early teens. Because we all had the injections my brother and later myself were able to get the job of News paper boy delivering to the patients in the hospital.

Not wanting to be too pedantic but the hospital was only halfway up Mushroom Lane, the top end being alongside the Weston Park Museum.

The hospital was for people suffering from TB. My mam was a nurse there in the 1950's and as a result all us kids had to have TB injections which were not normally given until you got to your early teens. Because we all had the injections my brother and later myself were able to get the job of News paper boy delivering to the patients in the hospital.

Not wanting to be too pedantic but the hospital was only halfway up Mushroom Lane, the top end being alongside the Weston Park Museum.

Nice information John and Welcome. I've updated my memory of Mushroom Lane lol

Richard

Re the Redgates plea; I don't know whether you know, but Ruth Harman, who until quite recently was the Senior Archivist in Sheffield, has just published a book called "Sheffield, Shops and Shopping". It's part of the Images of England series. I haven't seen it yet, but with the reputation of and affection for Redgates they really ought to be in there!

Bayleaf