Ambrose Langley Benefit Match 1899

dunsbyowl1867

From the Sheffield Independent December 1899

"it was very hard lines indeed for Langley the Wednesday captain, that such wretched weather prevailed on Friday on the occasion of his benefit match and it is a matter for surprise that even so many as 2,000 people braved the wind & rain. The cash receipts amounted to only £25 but I believe there has been a fairly good sale of tickets and I hope some additional means of giving Langley a reward commensurate with his excellent services to the club will be found"

"it was very hard lines indeed for Langley the Wednesday captain, that such wretched weather prevailed on Friday on the occasion of his benefit match and it is a matter for surprise that even so many as 2,000 people braved the wind & rain. The cash receipts amounted to only £25 but I believe there has been a fairly good sale of tickets and I hope some additional means of giving Langley a reward commensurate with his excellent services to the club will be found"

Some great posts today Dunsby, you may have a future here he he

That would have been £2,090.00 using the retail price index in todays money.

That would have been £2,090.00 using the retail price index in todays money.

Progress ? If a modern footballer was said to work an 8 hour day 7 days a week Rooney earns more than than in an hour!

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_does_wayne_rooney_earn_per_week

Not to say its the same man, but its possible

Ambrose Langley, householder, 82 Dorothy Road (close to the ground) (1919)

and Ambrose Langley, Victualler, Cricketers Arms, 106 Bramall Lane (1925)

Not to say its the same man, but its possible

Ambrose Langley, householder, 82 Dorothy Road (close to the ground) (1919)

and Ambrose Langley, Victualler, Cricketers Arms, 106 Bramall Lane (1925)

Manager of Hull City April 1905 to April 1913 and Manager of Huddersfield Town December 1919 to March 1921 - which could work with the above.

Yes it could!

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=5005&st=0&p=29145&hl=+ambrose%20+langley&fromsearch=1&#entry29145

Manager of Hull City April 1905 to April 1913 and Manager of Huddersfield Town December 1919 to March 1921 - which could work with the above.