£24.50 For A Postcard !

RichardB

Does this mean by "starting bid £24.50" that a rather greedy seller has put a reserve on it at this amount and will not sell for less OR that some idiot has bid this amount for the opening bid? :unsure:

Does this mean by "starting bid £24.50" that a rather greedy seller has put a reserve on it at this amount and will not sell for less OR that some idiot has bid this amount for the opening bid? :unsure:

No that's the starting price.

I have a sneaky feeling it may be a typo, have never seen a postcard for that price, the seller does not normally sell such high priced cards.

or

Is it very rare

I have a sneaky feeling it may be a typo, have never seen a postcard for that price, the seller does not normally sell such high priced cards.

or

Is it very rare

If it was a typo would £2.45 be the intended price then?

Seems a funny price anyway, - why include the odd ten bob?

Why not (if £24.50 was the intended price) start at a nice round number like £20, £24 or £25?

It is only a starting price so a round number should be enough, - with bids it won't sell at that price anyway.

Neither, that's what the seller has opened bidding at.

Neither, that's what the seller has opened bidding at.

So do you think its correct

I was perhaps thinking £2.45, is that card worth £24.50, if so good luck to him

A few months ago, a 1911 postcard of Nether Edge terminus came up on ebay. It featured a house built by my G.G.Grandfather. I bid on it, but after it went over 6 quid I gave up. It finally went for 65 pounds. I contacted the winning bidder wondering why he`d paid such a high price, thinking this must be a relative to want it so badly. It turned out to be the publisher of a local monthly, (or quarterly) magazine, that wanted a picture of the scene for an article they were doing. As they had by then finished with the postcard, they kindly sent it to me at no charge. Very generous of them.

or

Is it very rare

A few months ago, a 1911 postcard of Nether Edge terminus came up on ebay. It featured a house built by my G.G.Grandfather. I bid on it, but after it went over 6 quid I gave up. It finally went for 65 pounds. I contacted the winning bidder wondering why he`d paid such a high price, thinking this must be a relative to want it so badly. It turned out to be the publisher of a local monthly, (or quarterly) magazine, that wanted a picture of the scene for an article they were doing. As they had by then finished with the postcard, they kindly sent it to me at no charge. Very generous of them.

Now that was very kind of the publishers.

:)

But, because other sellers saw it go for £65 they must have thought it was their lucky day and this will have encouraged them to set silly resrve opening bids on similar items they own and want to sell.

The difference is that although a business buyer will pay these prices to get an exclusive for a particular purpose a private buyer would not want to compete and would see the price as extortionate.

What about £600 for a football programme that cost a few pence?

http://sports-memorabilia.shop.ebay.co.uk/Football-Programmes-/53621/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A3443&rt=nc&_nkw=sheffield&_catref=1&_dmpt=UK_Sports_Memorabilia_Football_Programmes_ET&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=3&_sc=1

But, because other sellers saw it go for £65 they must have thought it was their lucky day and this will have encouraged them to set silly resrve opening bids on similar items they own and want to sell.

The difference is that although a business buyer will pay these prices to get an exclusive for a particular purpose a private buyer would not want to compete and would see the price as extortionate.

The guy probably never saw the other card, if £24.50 is the correct price, then thats what the seller must think its worth that.

There is nothing to gain on EBAY by starting your items at a stupid high price, if its not the true value it won't sell. Plus it costs you more to list an item.

I've seen cards go for a high price but that's usually when more than 1 person wants the item, its an auction!

What about £600 for a football programme that cost a few pence?

http://sports-memorabilia.shop.ebay.co.uk/Football-Programmes-/53621/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A3443&rt=nc&_nkw=sheffield&_catref=1&_dmpt=UK_Sports_Memorabilia_Football_Programmes_ET&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=3&_sc=1

But it's not just any old football programme is it?

I think this is where Stuarts point about rarity and desirability as a collectors item comes in.

I stand corrected! was looking at the list of 'other items I have for sale' on the page - must have been 'loss leaders'!

I won't be sending my mates any rude joke postcards home from a holiday in Blackpool at £25 a card including the new, revised postage costs! :o

I reckon this is a truly absurd price for a photograph :o.

..and the sample scan image is so good and not watermarked that you could practically download it as it stands for nowt! B) :o

Funny you should say that............

Well £20 or more for a postcard could be pushing your luck a bit too much.

It's a bit like property prices, - they are totally driven by personal greed and not by actual value.

Surprise, it did not sell

I'm not suprised at all.

So what now?

Does he hide it away for years hoping it will appreciate enough to sell for what he asked.

....or just try to sell it again at a more sensible and realistic price? :unsure:

I'm not suprised at all.

So what now?

Does he hide it away for years hoping it will appreciate enough to sell for what he asked.

....or just try to sell it again at a more sensible and realistic price? :unsure:

Most likely thrown in the bin, because no one bought it <_<

lol