Sheffield Roots.

Guest NYBooth

Guest NYBooth

Hello from Indiana in the U.S., along way from Sheffield.

I've been doing some family history digging and happened upon this site. Enjoying the information and glimpses of life from 'across the pond'. My great,great, great grandfather, William Booth, age 21, left Sheffield in 1864

for the U.S. He and a group of other immigrated Sheffield cutlers joined ranks in Ellenville, N.Y. and began the Ulster Knife Works. It has always interested me to see where he came from and fill in around the familylore about William Booth.

He met and married a Sheffield girl, Jane C. Kilner whose family had also moved to the U.S. Her parents , Joseph and Elizabeth Kilner left Sheffield for the U.S. in 1851. It seems like the Sheffield bond was strong and the Sheffield families

found each other and supported each other in therir new endeavors.

William and sister , Winifred had a stepmother, Emma Lloyd Booth Bradbury whose second husband, Fredrick Bradbury was listed a file grinder and publican, residing at the Cricketers Arms in the 1871 census. Her father was Faulk Lloyd,

pub keeper to the White Lion in 1825....I got that bit of info from the pub keepers list....thank you for posting it.. It helps to fill out the family picture.

NYBooth

I've been doing some family history digging and happened upon this site. Enjoying the information and glimpses of life from 'across the pond'. My great,great, great grandfather, William Booth, age 21, left Sheffield in 1864

for the U.S. He and a group of other immigrated Sheffield cutlers joined ranks in Ellenville, N.Y. and began the Ulster Knife Works. It has always interested me to see where he came from and fill in around the familylore about William Booth.

He met and married a Sheffield girl, Jane C. Kilner whose family had also moved to the U.S. Her parents , Joseph and Elizabeth Kilner left Sheffield for the U.S. in 1851. It seems like the Sheffield bond was strong and the Sheffield families

William and sister , Winifred had a stepmother, Emma Lloyd Booth Bradbury whose second husband, Fredrick Bradbury was listed a file grinder and publican, residing at the Cricketers Arms in the 1871 census. Her father was Faulk Lloyd,

pub keeper to the White Lion in 1825....I got that bit of info from the pub keepers list....thank you for posting it.. It helps to fill out the family picture.

NYBooth

Welcome to the site NYBooth, its always great to hear from new members from across the world with Sheffield Roots.

I am sure you will find us friendly and helpful, ask any question about Sheffield, its history and its families, somebody is sure to know the answer

Stuart

NYBooth

Yes welcome to SheffieldHistory NYBooth.

Hope you enjoy the site and that you find the posts on here useful and informative.

If William Booth left Sheffield in 1864 aged 21 for the United States was the reason for his departure anything to do with this, -

American Civil War

If you click on the link it will take you to another topic on this site (strangely in the Sheffield eBay items section) Have a look at post #10 onwards.

NYBooth

Hello and welcome to the site NYBooth. The pubs lists are a great resource for family history, somebody has obviously spent a lot of time working on them

He met and married a Sheffield girl, Jane C. Kilner whose family had also moved to the U.S. Her parents , Joseph and Elizabeth Kilner left Sheffield for the U.S. in 1851.

Joseph and Elizabeth, 1851 Census, St Johns Road.

Guest NYBooth

Thanks for the responses and the welcome!!!

Yes, that's them on Hermitage St, and in Smith's House (boarding house, why listed as Smith's house?) on Shelton St.

Thanks for the links and pictures...it makes it all seem quite close!.

The (Eng to US)William Booth 's father was also William Booth.

The father, William Booth (Sr.) is listed in the 1841 married to Hannah Booth (maiden name Biggins).

William is born 1842 and sister Winifred 1846

Then 1851 census William (sr.) is married to Emma Lloyd (married 1847) with children William and Winifred on Hermitage st.

Hannah seems to have died in the late 40's. William (Sr.) dies in the 50;s.

By the 1861 census,Emma has remarried to Fredrick Bradbury with William (18) and Winifred (15) as boarders at Smith St.

William is off to America in 1864.

Winifred follows many years later and is buried with her husband George Hunter in Ellenville NY near her

brother William and family. William named one of his sons after Emma's 2nd husband, Frederick Bradbury and to make things

confusing for genealogists to follow, continued the Wlliam Booth name down through the next two generations.

Merry Christmas to all!!

NYBooth

Thanks for the responses and the welcome!!!

Yes, that's them on Hermitage St, and in Smith's House (boarding house, why listed as Smith's house?) on Shelton St.

Thanks for the links and pictures...it makes it all seem quite close!.

The (Eng to US)William Booth 's father was also William Booth.

The father, William Booth (Sr.) is listed in the 1841 married to Hannah Booth (maiden name Biggins).

William is born 1842 and sister Winifred 1846

Then 1851 census William (sr.) is married to Emma Lloyd (married 1847) with children William and Winifred on Hermitage st.

Hannah seems to have died in the late 40's. William (Sr.) dies in the 50;s.

By the 1861 census,Emma has remarried to Fredrick Bradbury with William (18) and Winifred (15) as boarders at Smith St.

William is off to America in 1864.

Winifred follows many years later and is buried with her husband George Hunter in Ellenville NY near her

brother William and family. William named one of his sons after Emma's 2nd husband, Frederick Bradbury and to make things

confusing for genealogists to follow, continued the Wlliam Booth name down through the next two generations.

Merry Christmas to all!!

NYBooth

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you too NYBooth.

We are pleased to be of assistance with this American ancestry in Sheffield.

Makes the world seem a smaller but friendlier global village sort of place doesn't it?

Guest NYBooth

Yes welcome to SheffieldHistory NYBooth.

Hope you enjoy the site and that you find the posts on here useful and informative.

If William Booth left Sheffield in 1864 aged 21 for the United States was the reason for his departure anything to do with this, -

American Civil War

If you click on the link it will take you to another topic on this site (strangely in the Sheffield eBay items section) Have a look at post #10 onwards.

DaveH,

I followed the link. Thank you, interesting. I don't believe that was what impacted my gr.gr.gr. grandfather to head for the States. He settled directly into the cutlery trade in Connecticut in New England, married his Sheffield lass and settled in the Catskill mountians of New York, in the town of Ellenville. He was part of a coopertive venture for the Ulster Knife Co. and after the company was bought out by a business investor, he stay on as superindent of Ulster Knife for over 50 years.

Betsy

"NYBooth"

Guest NYBooth

Link - OS Map

Hermitage Street, Sheldon Street and The Cricketers (John Street / Bramall lane)

All within a couple of hundred yards of each other.

VOX

Thanks for the insight....All within 100 yards of each other...It puts into perspective. So close. In this day and age, we travel and communicate so easily. Our world is so much bigger. It must have been quite a tight knit community...everyone knows everyone?!

Betsy

NYBooth

DaveH,

I followed the link. Thank you, interesting. I don't believe that was what impacted my gr.gr.gr. grandfather to head for the States. He settled directly into the cutlery trade in Connecticut in New England, married his Sheffield lass and settled in the Catskill mountians of New York, in the town of Ellenville. He was part of a coopertive venture for the Ulster Knife Co. and after the company was bought out by a business investor, he stay on as superindent of Ulster Knife for over 50 years.

Betsy

"NYBooth"

OK, thanks for checking as I find this connection between Britain and the American Civil War fascinating.

Connecticut, New England is a long way north, well inside "Union" territory and not in direct line of any fighting, - although there were Divisions and platoons of the Union Army (the United States Army) from that state.