Joseph Rodgers & Sons Antique Sword

Guest jBenson

Guest jBenson

Greetings friends,

You've got a wonderful site here. I've recently inherited an antique sword with markings an inch or so from the hilt as follows:

Manufactured

for G Hall

Norfolk Va <--- (this also looks like "Na" or "No." The "a" is a superscript and has a line under it in case the web formatting doesn't work out)

By

Joseph

Rodgers

& Sons

No. 6

Norfolk

Street

Sheffield

The sword measures 33inches from end to end and the blade measures 3/4inch as well.

Below are some pictures:

full length small

hilt

leaves

anchor stars

anchor

I was very much hoping someone with experience with antiques like these could share some information.

If you like, please PM me or email me directly justin02@gmail.com

Grateful,

JBenson

Moved you into this section of the forum.

Thanks for the photos and detailed description,

I don't think we have seen a Joseph Rodgers sword on here before?

S

The presence of the anchor engraving on the blade indicates it was probably a naval officers ceremonial sword. These were required as part of the dress uniform. The condition of the blade makes it not a valuable item. My G.G. Grandfather was a manufacturer of such items, and I've managed to accumulate a few examples of his work. Although swords as such are not exceptionally valuable, unless they can be accredited to an important person, mine are to me because of the family connection. If it's a family piece, then treasure it.

Greetings friends,

You've got a wonderful site here. I've recently inherited an antique sword with markings an inch or so from the hilt as follows:

Manufactured

for G Hall

Norfolk Va <--- (this also looks like "Na" or "No." The "a" is a superscript and has a line under it in case the web formatting doesn't work out)

By

Joseph

Rodgers

& Sons

No. 6

Norfolk

Street

Sheffield

The sword measures 33inches from end to end and the blade measures 3/4inch as well.

Below are some pictures:

full length small

hilt

leaves

anchor stars

anchor

I was very much hoping someone with experience with antiques like these could share some information.

If you like, please PM me or email me directly justin02@gmail.com

Grateful,

JBenson

Guest Velleius

Could you perhaps add some pictures of the engraved words? How long is the blade? Are any more numbers on this weapon?