Rag And Bone Men

RichardB

I remember as a child my dad would give me a bucket and small spade every time the Rag and Bone man was in the area so that I could follow him around to get the horse muck for dads roses. lol

Me too. but I refused to do it until it had done steaming :o . he he

He used to shift our Drott about with his wagon, he looked like he could pick it up and carry it under his arm.

Without sounding stupid, what is Drott?

Guest whyme

Me too. but I refused to do it until it had done steaming :o . he he

The steam never bothered me being a lad lol lol

I've attached a cutting from the Sheffield Independent from 1846, showing what can happen if you get too excited about the Rag and Bone man arriving. William Wilkinson was my GGG Grandfather. I think the reporter got the names mixed up as Joseph lived to be a good age - I think the lad who died was Thomas William, but I need to see his death certificate to confirm.

Think On!

I've attached a cutting from the Sheffield Independent from 1846, showing what can happen if you get too excited about the Rag and Bone man arriving. William Wilkinson was my GGG Grandfather. I think the reporter got the names mixed up as Joseph lived to be a good age - I think the lad who died was Thomas William, but I need to see his death certificate to confirm.

Think On!

How awful, that poor boy. I bet the rag & bone man never forgot that.

Think On!

Ecclesfield St. Mary burial

WILKINSON John 25 Jan 1846 Butterthwaite Wheel 9