Castle Market, Listed Building?

Bayleaf

Its common with postcards to be way out of date, obviously the publisher, has a load printed and keeps selling them, next time you go to the coast look at some of the postcards on sale, I bet they are way out of date.

OK,

So there's the jokey cartoon "seaside postcard" full of "carry On" film type humour and sexual inuendo.

Now they haven't changed since the 1950's, - and they are still using the same old jokes and artwork!!! :angry:

Then take the ones with a nice scenic view of the town.

Places like Scarborough, Cleethorpes and Blackpool haven't changed in decades, - that's why they look tatty and run down!

A picture of these places taken in the 1950's wouldn't look that much different to one taken today would it?

OK, the fashions change, there are less people and more cars there now but the actual buildings and layout of the place are exactly the same, Blackpool still has a tower, Cleethorpes still has a Railway station alongside the promenade and Scarborough still has a nice little harbour in the south bay with a castle on the hillside above it (OK, so Scarborough is missing a hotel that fell over the cliffs these days! <_< )

But, as we have proved with our "Then & Now" pictures, Sheffield, unlike these old seaside resorts, looks totally different now to what it did 50 years ago so would not appear the same on an old postcard. Sheffield has been transformed by the Clean air Act, the decline of steel and other traditional industries and a Council hell bent on demolishing any building in the City which exceeds 30 years old and 3 storeys tall. (..and YES, that does include the Castle market!!)

Perhaps Sheffield needs some new postcards. <_<

OK,

So there's the jokey cartoon "seaside postcard" full of "carry On" film type humour and sexual innuendo.

Now they haven't changed since the 1950's, - and they are still using the same old jokes and artwork!!! :angry:

Then take the ones with a nice scenic view of the town.

Places like Scarborough, Cleethorpes and Blackpool haven't changed in decades, - that's why they look tatty and run down!

A picture of these places taken in the 1950's wouldn't look that much different to one taken today would it?

OK, the fashions change, there are less people and more cars there now but the actual buildings and layout of the place are exactly the same, Blackpool still has a tower, Cleethorpes still has a Railway station alongside the promenade and Scarborough still has a nice little harbour in the south bay with a castle on the hillside above it (OK, so Scarborough is missing a hotel that fell over the cliffs these days! <_< )

But, as we have proved with our "Then & Now" pictures, Sheffield, unlike these old seaside resorts, looks totally different now to what it did 50 years ago so would not appear the same on an old postcard. Sheffield has been transformed by the Clean air Act, the decline of steel and other traditional industries and a Council hell bent on demolishing any building in the City which exceeds 30 years old and 3 storeys tall. (..and YES, that does include the Castle market!!)

Perhaps Sheffield needs some new postcards. <_<

What about some new postcards with a "Then & Now" theme ????????

What about some new postcards with a "Then & Now" theme ????????

As picture postcards act as an advertising "shop window" for the place they picture I think at this point in time I would prefer a set of postcards that show present day Sheffield at its very best rather than a set which dwell upon its glorious past.

I know that sounds harsh with us being a local history forum, - but these are hard times and we live in a very competitive world.

Regardless of what Christa Ackroyd and the "Look Leeds" team would have you believe with their free advertising on, would you believe BBC TV (stands for "Biased Broadcasting Company" :angry: ) YORKSHIRE is in fact bigger than just LEEDS and it actually contains places, like but not exclusively, Sheffield which are as good as if not better than Leeds, and are certainly more newsworthy.

But of course Leeds gets all the cover while Sheffield, York, Doncaster, Rotherham, Hull, Harrogate, Wakefield, Barnsley, Huddersfield and to a lesser extent due to its proximity, Bradford are left out in the cold.

All because a set of bone idle reporters either want to promote their own city (Leeds) or just can't be bothered to travel a few miles.

A set of decent modern postcards could be the only good promotion that Sheffield gets.

..and that's pretty rubbish for Englands 5th largest City :(

Actually coverage seems to radiate from Leeds. Leeds first, then Bradford, Wakefield, Halifax, Castleford, then Sheffield, Rotherham, Doncaster.Lucky old East Yorkshire/Humberside have their own Look North, without Christa and Harry ' Yorkshire = York and Scarborough' Gration .

Unless of course there's some crime to report then Sheffield is up there in the headlines.

Actually coverage seems to radiate from Leeds. Leeds first, then Bradford, Wakefield, Halifax, Castleford, then Sheffield, Rotherham, Doncaster.Lucky old East Yorkshire/Humberside have their own Look North, without Christa and Harry ' Yorkshire = York and Scarborough' Gration .

Unless of course there's some crime to report then Sheffield is up there in the headlines.

Glad that someone shares my views on this one Bayleaf as Sheffield gets a very rough deal from both the BBC and ITV Yorkshire Television when it comes to local coverage.

just stumbled across this old postcard of the castle markets dated 1972, while i was looking for something else. i found it stuck in a photo album

mick

Just to make the point about change, or lack of change, over the years, on my weekly trip to Castle Market this morning I took this picture to try and match the viewpoint of the postcard.

Hard to get the viewpoint right without standing in the middle of Haymarket and being run over by a bus.

Further to this, you can't go any further back to get a wider view due to that rickety, old, disused and closed off footbridge which starts at the bottom of King Street with some closed off steps then crosses over Haymarket entering the first floor balcony of the building that once was BHS.

Just to make the point about change, or lack of change, over the years, on my weekly trip to Castle Market this morning I took this picture to try and match the viewpoint of the postcard.

Hard to get the viewpoint right without standing in the middle of Haymarket and being run over by a bus.

Further to this, you can't go any further back to get a wider view due to that rickety, old, disused and closed off footbridge which starts at the bottom of King Street with some closed off steps then crosses over Haymarket entering the first floor balcony of the building that once was BHS.

It's been a while since we had a go at these "Then and Now" pictures, but here are the 2 together just for comparison.

THEN is sometime a few years before 1972

NOW is April 2011

So the pictures are seperated by something like 40 years.

It's been a while since we had a go at these "Then and Now" pictures, but here are the 2 together just for comparison.

NOW is April 2011

While I was filing that previous shot in my "Then & Now" folder which not been used for around 2 years I found another then and now with almost the same name and made up of 2 shots both taken by myself, one in 1974 and the other in 2008 (34 years apart)

These show the market from the rear along Castlegate viewed from the Blonk Street end.

I would have taken the 1974 picture because he used to work in Castle Market so went in through the "tradesmens entrance" around the back. If I was stuck in town midweek teatime I used to wait for him finishing work to get a lift home.

He worked for the corporation markets department as a painter, decorating in rotation, Castle Market, the Wholesale Market and what was the Corporation Abbatoir. He worked there from from being made redundant from a previous job in 1963 right up to his retirement in 1990 (27 years service)

I bet the Castle Market didn't look in such a tatty untidy, uncared for state when he was doing the decorating did it. ;-)

NOW is April 2011

You beat me to it, I took a picture of castle market from roughly the same place thats shown on the old postcard yesterday morning :rolleyes:

You beat me to it, I took a picture of castle market from roughly the same place thats shown on the old postcard yesterday morning :rolleyes:

That's when I took mine!

I was there about 9 o'clock (my picture is datestamped 23 April 2011, 9:01am) so perhaps we didn't miss meeting up with each other taking the same picture at the same time by very much then. B)

Why not post your picture for us to see anyway, - or even "then & now" it with the postcard?

That's when I took mine!

I was there about 9 o'clock (my picture is date stamped 23 April 2011, 9:01am) so perhaps we didn't miss meeting up with each other taking the same picture at the same time by very much then. B)

Why not post your picture for us to see anyway, - or even "then & now" it with the postcard?

I was just on my way to Sallies cafe in market at that time, i could hear the full English calling me lol

I was just on my way to Sallies cafe in market at that time, i could hear the full English calling me lol

We didn't miss each other by much then.

..and you got some good pictures as well ;-)

We didn't miss each other by much then.

..and you got some good pictures as well ;-)

For comparison here is your picture as a then and now with the original postcard.

For comparison here is your picture as a then and now with the original postcard.

..and here are all 3 pictures.

Top to bottom, -

Old Postcard

Mick851 picture

DaveH picture

That's when I took mine!

I was there about 9 o'clock (my picture is datestamped 23 April 2011, 9:01am) so perhaps we didn't miss meeting up with each other taking the same picture at the same time by very much then. B)

More pic's of Castle Market took today

More pic's of Castle Market took today

It is quite amazing that we never actually meet up mick851.

I was doing my usual "Castle Market shopping" this morning and I also took some pictures.

All of my photos today are timestamped within 5 minutes either side of 9:30am.

What time were you down there?

By the way when you said you were in "Sallie's" cafe, if my memory serves me well in the early 1960's this stall was a cafe called "Edith's" and my mum used to work there at weekends.

Me and my dad used to go into Castle Market to get the shopping (I suppose that's where I have got the habit from) and then go to "Ediths" for our dinner and to see my mum.

Bearing in mind that this was the early 1960's dinner on a Saturday would consist of, -

A )

A ham or pork (pooerk) sandwich, cut in such a way that it contained the maximum amount of artery blocking saturated animal fat.

B )

A cup of tea, made with loose leaf tea which had not been strained so became undrinkable without getting a mouthful of leaves when you got more than half way down the cup.

Fortunately by Saturday teatime we had gone to my grandparents where gran served a very healthy salad to eat while watching telegoons / Dr. Who / Dixon of Dock Green.

Somehow I fondly remember and miss Saturday teatime, - but not so much dinner in Castle market.

...and here are some of mine, taken in the meat and fish market

With Sallies cafe at one end of the market, Sharons cafe is at the other end (there is also one in the middle but its name eludes me)

Sharon's cafe of course was made famous by appearing on the cover of the Richard Hawley album "Late Night Special"

With Sallies cafe at one end of the market, Sharons cafe is at the other end (there is also one in the middle but its name eludes me)

Sharon's cafe of course was made famous by appearing on the cover of the Richard Hawley album "Late Night Special"

The ground floor of the market is still fully open and doing business

The ground floor of the market is still fully open and doing business

Now for those people who can't wait to see Castle Market demolished here is one area in which I agree with them

As the different parts of the market building are actually different buildings in themselves (eg the "meat and fish market) the connecting staircases have to have split level landings with little bits at awkward angles and turn offs half way along them.

It looks horrible, it makes access more difficult, and as the anti Castle Market brigade have pointed out, it looks all the worse for its old cast concrete style and construction.

Notice that most of the stalls below that staircase, on the lower ground floor, are already closed and shuttered up.

Now for those people who can't wait to see Castle Market demolished here is one area in which I agree with them

As the different parts of the market building are actually different buildings in themselves (eg the "meat and fish market) the connecting staircases have to have split level landings with little bits at awkward angles and turn offs half way along them.

It looks horrible, it makes access more difficult, and as the anti Castle Market brigade have pointed out, it looks all the worse for its old cast concrete style and construction.

Notice that most of the stalls below that staircase, on the lower ground floor, are already closed and shuttered up.

However, there are still some stalls open doing business on the lower ground floor.

Why does the old Town Hall have Smelly Balls written on a banner ? :unsure:

i just noticed that he hehe he he he

It is quite amazing that we never actually meet up mick851.

I was doing my usual "Castle Market shopping" this morning and I also took some pictures.

All of my photos today are timestamped within 5 minutes either side of 9:30am.

What time were you down there?

By the way when you said you were in "Sallie's" cafe, if my memory serves me well in the early 1960's this stall was a cafe called "Edith's" and my mum used to work there at weekends.

Me and my dad used to go into Castle Market to get the shopping (I suppose that's where I have got the habit from) and then go to "Ediths" for our dinner and to see my mum.

Bearing in mind that this was the early 1960's dinner on a Saturday would consist of, -

A )

A ham or pork (pooerk) sandwich, cut in such a way that it contained the maximum amount of artery blocking saturated animal fat.

B )

A cup of tea, made with loose leaf tea which had not been strained so became undrinkable without getting a mouthful of leaves when you got more than half way down the cup.

Fortunately by Saturday teatime we had gone to my grandparents where gran served a very healthy salad to eat while watching telegoons / Dr. Who / Dixon of Dock Green.

Somehow I fondly remember and miss Saturday teatime, - but not so much dinner in Castle market.

I was there about 10.15, i go to Castle market most saturdays, like to get there before it starts getting packed :blink: