Castle Market, Listed Building?

Bayleaf

I was there about 10.15, i go to Castle market most saturdays, like to get there before it starts getting packed :blink:

Missed me by about three quarters of an hour then. B)

You know what they say, "Early bird....." ;-)

Why does the old Town Hall have Smelly Balls written on a banner ? :unsure:

It is a street traders stall selling Novelty Items.

One of the novelty items are Smelly Balls

Missed me by about three quarters of an hour then. B)

You know what they say, "Early bird....." ;-)

Got there about 9.20 today

The Castle Market is probably going to end up being the most photographed building in Sheffield at this rate lollol lol

Got there about 9.20 today

The Castle Market is probably going to end up being the most photographed building in Sheffield at this rate lollollollol

I would have been there around the same time.

However, I was in a hurry today as I had other things to sort out at home so I just did the bit of shopping that I needed and went.

Didn't stop for a walk round or to take any pictures and I can't have been in there more than 10 minutes at the most.

I would have been there around the same time.

However, I was in a hurry today as I had other things to sort out at home so I just did the bit of shopping that I needed and went.

Didn't stop for a walk round or to take any pictures and I can't have been in there more than 10 minutes at the most.

I think we must have only been in about half hour, we went to the other cafe at the opposite side, it was quite empty at that end of the market, its usually quite busy where that cafe is :blink: I only took a couple of pics today.

When are they supposed to be building the new markets down the Moor? we park down that end ( on Matilda street ) and each time we come to Sheffield, that area is still the same :blink:

I think we must have only been in about half hour, we went to the other cafe at the opposite side, it was quite empty at that end of the market, its usually quite busy where that cafe is :blink: I only took a couple of pics today.

When are they supposed to be building the new markets down the Moor? we park down that end ( on Matilda street ) and each time we come to Sheffield, that area is still the same :blink:

I park on Charlotte Road metered parking (behind St. Mary's church so I have to walk a bit further to get to the market my doctors advice, - take more exercise! :rolleyes: ) so I have to walk up Moorfoot past the new market development to get to the old market. Although Moorfoot has been nicely repaved and set out ready the market area itself is heavily fenced off, and has been since the demolition of the previous buildings on this site. However, in recent months, in particular since the Council spending cuts, very little work seems to be going on at all.

So it seems the old market is running down prematurely before the new market is ready, or even likely to be ready, leaving the current market traders in a limbo situation.

Despite my objections to the demolition of Castle Market and it being moved (creating Hassle and loss of customers) I am of course looking forward to seeing, using and photographing the new market when it finally opens.

Was the cafe you used at the other end Sharons?

I park on Charlotte Road metered parking (behind St. Mary's church so I have to walk a bit further to get to the market my doctors advice, - take more exercise! :roll eyes: ) so I have to walk up Moorfoot past the new market development to get to the old market. Although Moorfoot has been nicely repaved and set out ready the market area itself is heavily fenced off, and has been since the demolition of the previous buildings on this site. However, in recent months, in particular since the Council spending cuts, very little work seems to be going on at all.

So it seems the old market is running down prematurely before the new market is ready, or even likely to be ready, leaving the current market traders in a limbo situation.

Despite my objections to the demolition of Castle Market and it being moved (creating Hassle and loss of customers) I am of course looking forward to seeing, using and photographing the new market when it finally opens.

Was the cafe you used at the other end Sharon's?

We always park in the Euro car park, Matilda street / Eyre street, not bad price either.

The cafe we was in was right on the very back wall a thin rectangular place, ive never really noticed the name to be honest :unsure:

we went past Sallies, looked a bit full, so we went down there instead

I agree Dave this is not how I imagined to all panning out. A sorry situation for all concernedas you have previously stated.

We always park in the Euro car park, Matilda street / Eyre street, not bad price either.

The cafe we was in was right on the very back wall a thin rectangular place, ive never really noticed the name to be honest :unsure:

we went past Sallies, looked a bit full, so we went down there instead

That sounds like one of the ones half way along if it is long and narrow.

I will have to have a look next Saturday.

I agree Dave this is not how I imagined to all panning out. A sorry situation for all concernedas you have previously stated.

Thanks Richard

I think that regardless of our differeing views on the actual current Castle Market building we all want the best outcome for Sheffields market traders, some of which have been established and serving the local community for many, many years.

At present this does not seem to be happening. :angry:

Thanks Richard

I think that regardless of our differeing views on the actual current Castle Market building we all want the best outcome for Sheffields market traders, some of which have been established and serving the local community for many, many years.

At present this does not seem to be happening. :angry:

From a distance (and with no great knowledge) I had assumed the old would transfer to the new market - business continuing for those that wished to make the move. I'm wrong in that assumption and I sympathise with those affected.As you have said - it's jobs, families.

It's also wrong.

That sounds like one of the ones half way along if it is long and narrow.

I will have to have a look next Saturday.

I went into Castle Market today, got a day off work he he the cafe is called Tennant's that we went into on saturday.

i was thinking earlier, its funny that we do most of our shopping in Sheffield, but we dont live in Sheffield anymore, old habits die hard lol

I went into Castle Market today, got a day off work he he the cafe is called Tennant's that we went into on saturday.

i was thinking earlier, its funny that we do most of our shopping in Sheffield, but we dont live in Sheffield anymore, old habits die hard lol

Tennants, - yes I know the one, know exactly where it is now.

Good job some of us do still go into Sheffield to do our shopping.

Wouldn't do for the City centre to become a ghost town just because everybody wanted to go to that posh, new, overpriced, out of town shopping development called....MEADOWHELL!!

Tennants, - yes I know the one, know exactly where it is now.

Good job some of us do still go into Sheffield to do our shopping.

Wouldn't do for the City centre to become a ghost town just because everybody wanted to go to that posh, new, overpriced, out of town shopping development called....MEADOWHELL!!

Very very rarely i go to that place ( meadowhell ) and then its usually under protest :rolleyes:

I cant stand the place, we went Boxing day.........NEVER AGAIN! :blink:

Very very rarely i go to that place ( meadowhell ) and then its usually under protest :rolleyes:

I cant stand the place, we went Boxing day.........NEVER AGAIN! :blink:

We usually go about twice a year (me and MrsH) but we always both moan about going and then complain about it when we get home.

I don't know why we bother.

At Christmas when it gets really packed with people that have more money than sense, we have another derogatory name for it, based on a Christmas song, but which I cannot repeat on a public Forum.

We usually go about twice a year (me and MrsH) but we always both moan about going and then complain about it when we get home.

I don't know why we bother.

At Christmas when it gets really packed with people that have more money than sense, we have another derogatory name for it, based on a Christmas song, but which I cannot repeat on a public Forum.

Bahh, humbug

Bahh, humbug

No, not a CHRISTMAS CAROL, a 20th century Christmas song.

..and although we may be a bit like Scrooge at Meadowhell we are not like that in the town centre or in Castle Market.

In fact we have our own particular favourite butchers in Castle Market so we get our festive turkey, gammon and pork from them. When we collect our Christmas order from them we also give them a Christmas Card and a small present of either cans of beer or a bottle of wine to thank them for their service over the year. We also have a favourite greengrocers, although not in Castle Market, that we have a similar releationship with and treat in a similar way at Christmas.

That's what I meant by the "life and soul of the market" which is being destroyed. You just don't have that same friendly relationship with someone behind a till in a posh looking shop in Meadowhall do you? It's because they are not a "market community", they are merely a money making business.

Been told that the date for the new Moor market opening has now been put back to some time in 2013.

That's quite a wait, and means we need the Castle market for another 2 years, so perhaps its demise is a little bit premature.

I have only just thought of this today while walking around Castle Market doing my weekly shop.

The current market building is 5 floors high (6 including the basement "lower ground" floor, and 7 if you count the Castle ruins below that)

However, the market itself only occupies 2 floors (Ground and Lower Ground), with the meat and fish market effectively being a seperate, but permenantly joined single floor ground level building.

That leaves 4 floors of the building above the market where shoppers hardly ever go.

These floors have, or have had lots of different things on them, Council offices, armed forces recruiting centres, charities, community groups, social services, - that sort of thing.

Then it occured to me, -

Thats why the new Moor Market building is actually smaller than Castle Market, - it will only have to take the "market floors" from the old market and not the rest of it, it is after all, a market.

Then comes the question, -

When Castle Market "the market bit" moves to The Moor and the present building is demolished, what is going to happen to the stuff on the upper floors, the Council offices, armed forces recruiting centres, charities, community groups, social services, - that sort of thing, where will they go??

A good question. I assume Sheffield like everywhere else is awash with empty business parks and office space - where the old buildings used to be ?

A good question. I assume Sheffield like everywhere else is awash with empty business parks and office space - where the old buildings used to be ?

But, that "horrible monstrosity of a building" that most people dislike and they constantly refer to as "Castle Market" is actually a lot more than just a market, less than 50% of its internal floor space is market.

Although we have talked about moving the market down the Moor and building a new, nice modern market hall no one has actually said anything about the other, "hidden" businesses which occupy the upper floors of the current market building.

I was reading this proposal from 2009 for what to do with the Castle site. I has presumably ground to a halt now there's no money in the economy:

http://www.archaeologicalresearchservices.com/projects/sheffcastle.pdf

What is the current situation with the market &c?