The Moor

Sheffield History

Screenshot 2020-04-01 at 11.17.41.jpg

THE MOOR

post-1-1171312974.jpg

The Moor is a famous shopping centre with a wide variety of different shops from department stores to market stalls.

There have been many changes in it's history as you would expect, and probably one of the most major to stick in the mind is the pedestrianisation of the place, and as you can see below it looks very different now that cars are no longer allowed to zoom up and down it's length !

THREADS

post-1-1171672179.jpg

A movie called 'Threads' was filmed on location on the moor for some of it's scenes. The movie was about Nuclear War and you can clearly see panic on the moor as shoppers run in and out of the shops as the blast takes place and you can see the mushroom cloud and the panic outside woolworths as the city explodes !

You can find out more about the movie 'Threads' in the Sheffield movies section of this website, including links of where to get hold of the film.

I've got loads of information to work from, from the film sent in by Tsavo

Here's the first picture from the upcoming work showing the trams and cars down the moor..

THE MOOR

The Moor is a famous shopping centre with a wide variety of different shops from department stores to market stalls.

There have been many changes in it's history as you would expect, and probably one of the most major to stick in the mind is the pedestrianisation of the place, and as you can see below it looks very different now that cars are no longer allowed to zoom up and down it's length !

THREADS

A movie called 'Threads' was filmed on location on the moor for some of it's scenes. The movie was about Nuclear War and you can clearly see panic on the moor as shoppers run in and out of the shops as the blast takes place and you can see the mushroom cloud and the panic outside woolworths as the city explodes !

You can find out more about the movie 'Threads' in the Sheffield movies section of this website, including links of where to get hold of the film.

The mushroom blast was done on the car park of the old Shirecliffe College, It was very realistic.

PICTURES

Guest Rachy

Some of the shops are now boarded up ready to pulled down for the new Markets that are being built down there.

The Moor November 1952

First picture from left to right, Weaver to Wearer, Pump Tavern, missing building, Cussins Furniture, Shapero (Floor covering), Blaskeys Decorators.

Second picture Cumberland Street, tobacconist, fruiterer, Farrands grocer, Travellers Rest, missing building, Branhills clothes shop, Era Furniture and Bedding shop.

Source : Remember Sheffield in the 50's, 60', and 70's - David Richardson

Credits : Press Photo Agency, courtesy Sheffield City Libraries, Archives and Information, Local Studies

Guest mega_monty

The registration plate on the blue VW Beetle would be worth an absolute mint today ;-)

like the old guy on the left pulling the cart.

The registration plate on the blue VW Beetle would be worth an absolute mint today ;-)

Not sure if that reads 'MM' or 'MH' - if it is MM they are my initals - my missus thought it a nice idea to get me a plate for my 50th a few years ago - MM 5 was selling for about £30,000 - so I got a new piano instead! - just checked and MM7 is currently for sale at £28k

The Moor November 1952

I remember the Moor looking like that, - lots of 'bomb sites'. Most of the big shops though managed to keep going

Atkinsons move across the road into the old Central Cinema, Redgates moved to a shop at the bottom of Ecclesall road opposite the S&E Co-Op and M&S set up shop in the Landsdowne Cinema at the bottom of London road.

The various re-incarnations of the Moor have suffered a lot of criticism but those of us who witnessed the dismal post-war years were glad to see any improvement.

The Moor when you could drive all the way down.

Here's one of my old pictures, taken in 1973, showing the Moor with cars driving down it and parked cars all the way along it.

Here (marked with a red arrow) was one of my favourite shops in town. After Redgates (the real one on The Moor), closely followed by the Hobbies shop on St Pauls Parade was the Theatrical Supply shop otherwise known as the joke shop, no trip to town with my mum would be complete with at least a long look in its window. Its windows were full of rubber masks, costumes, tricks and jokes ........ "black eye telescopes", a packet of magic fish that squirmed in your hand, itching powder and best of all stink bombs ....... happy smelly days indeed!

In the distance, top left, you can see the underpass being built at the top of Charter Row.

Incidentally, you might want to take some up to date photo's from the same point, as Moorfoot (the building built for the Manpower Services Commision in 1981) which was built accross the bottom of the Moor is targetted for demolition in the next couple of years.

.... as Moorfoot (the building built for the Manpower Services Commision in 1981) which was built accross the bottom of the Moor is targetted for demolition in the next couple of years.

We'll all miss that, says RichardB, laughing, as he spoke ...

Will this in 1880 from Picture Sheffield, do?

Nice one!

So we have the pedestrianised Moor of today with no traffic

Some pictures from the 1950's 70's with cars driving up and down the Moor

and a pre -Moor "South Street" picture with horses and carts!

It still seems to be a shopping district though.

I was trying to see what the name of the shop was that is off the photo on the left hand side

and it was:

"it's great service you get renting your colour set from............................GRANADA!" he he

I bet the old guy pulling the cart is on his way to Collin's rag and bone on Hill Street. he he