The Moor

Sheffield History

Screenshot 2021-03-04 at 14.38.38.jpg

Debenhams and Dixons on The Moor

When you could also drive up and down The Moor too!

32 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:

FgywHGTXwAEB_Op.jpg

Doesn't it look tatty. Always called the Manpower Service Building the Lego building. Only had red, white and clear bricks in my childhood Lego. 😂🤣

Don't think it looks "tatty" at all. I got lots of Christmas cards from that top stall with the cards on display. On the left at the bottom end was seller of videos and CD/DVDs which I used a lot.

7 minutes ago, History dude said:

Don't think it looks "tatty" at all. I got lots of Christmas cards from that top stall with the cards on display. On the left at the bottom end was seller of videos and CD/DVDs which I used a lot.

Yes I agree you could get lots of things from it, used to shop at the card shop as well, good stock, I love a good market and miss them. The reason I thought it looked tatty was the protective covers the stall holders had to resort to to keep the weather off. I'm sure the powers that be could have come up with something that looked good and served the purpose. 😁

Haven’t been down the Moor for a while so I suppose I can’t really comment but over the years lots of money has been spent on it but pedestrianisation has been a bit of a disaster…as it has been on High Street. Just an opinion ,but I remember the times when both areas were very busy…even immediately post war…when parts of the Moor was a bomb site and can’t remember either having too many pedestrians being run over.😙

As a young lad, “dragged” into Town most Saturday afternoons to go shopping with my  mother, my earliest memories of the Moor was the horror when told we were yomping down there from the other end of Town…for a “bargain”.

Money for many working class families in the early 50s was tight…..but I often thought the cost of shoe leather for two pairs of shoes could hardly have been  covered by the coppers saved in acquiring the “bargain”..

• Like 1

When I was a kid I was told that historically The Moor was once countryside that was unsafe for travellers, with highwaymen at work. Anyone know if that is true?

Yes that's true. I have a book somewhere that gives a few stories of the area, robbers and vagabonds etc. It was not unknown for people who lived in the village of Heeley but worked in Sheffield to take overnight rooms after work instead of risking going back home over the Moor!

• Thanks 1