The Moor

Sheffield History

The Moor Sheffield.jpg

The Moor roundabout in Sheffield City Centre. Playfair shop on the left, and some rather natty cars driving around!

Love the flagpoles - first time I've seen those

Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 12.25.27.jpg

The Moor circa 1971 - Does anyone remember the Alexandre shop seen here on the left?

Alexandre Ltd, Tailors and before the closure of all the retailers on that side of The Moor, was a branch of River Island I believe?

Also a coincidence on two counts, in that they were both clothing retailers and both had/have branches on The Moor and Fargate.

Photos show current building, but believe it now may have been gutted, along with all the others, although I understand all the limestone frontages had to be retained? Will be good to see the results of the rebuilding and the regeneration of The Moor, as it was getting really quite shabby?

link to Picture Sheffield, showing both locations of Alexandre in different eras..

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?&searchterms=Alexandre+&action=search&keywords=all%3BCONTAINS%3B%Alexandre%%3BAND%3Ball%3BCONTAINS%3B%%%3B#rowNumber6

85F0D52C-6C20-429C-AC25-A1EA89C4AABE.jpeg

F9A53AED-F32C-4291-BD32-27AC47BC3454.jpeg

• Like 1

On 02/04/2020 at 21:50, Hopman said:

The Moor in May last year showing a view of the old Woolworths building.

Of interest is the carved WDSCN9941.thumb.JPG.1cef590d0da5e8aa81aa0ef12b234fde.JPG

DSCN9940.JPG

Are they my photos from the Star?

1 hour ago, tozzin said:

Are they my photos from the Star?

No. I took these myself last May when I was on my way to Bramall Lane.

A filmed walk up The Moor

Looks like there is a mistake in this one about the location of the Woolworths Building

See if you can spot it..

Screenshot 2020-05-16 at 10.46.32.jpg

Here's a really old photo of Sheffield. It's the laying of the first tram tracks on South Street that was renamed The Moor later on!

9 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

What a fabulous virtual experience! I worked for at least 8 years on the Moor, during the late 1970s through until the mid 80s and it's many years since I visited Sheffield. There are few shop units remaining that I recall, so it is with fondness I identify the survival of Atkinsons, Melody, Boots and Debenhams. I worked in Paige Fashions and Etam for anyone out there that remembers these boutiques. Happy days !

3 hours ago, mill road said:

What a fabulous virtual experience! I worked for at least 8 years on the Moor, during the late 1970s through until the mid 80s and it's many years since I visited Sheffield. There are few shop units remaining that I recall, so it is with fondness I identify the survival of Atkinsons, Melody, Boots and Debenhams. I worked in Paige Fashions and Etam for anyone out there that remembers these boutiques. Happy days !

There are loads more of these Sheffield videos on the 'Sheffield Videos' youtube channel

Here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3Hc-lN9XEfIj-aIHMwX21g?sub_confirmation=1

You'll love them I'm sure!

Here's how The Moor and surrounding area looks during Lockdown 2020

Very very different and very eerie

On 04/04/2020 at 12:21, Sheffield History said:

The Moor Sheffield.jpg

The Moor roundabout in Sheffield City Centre. Playfair shop on the left, and some rather natty cars driving around!

I remember that when the trams were running (pre 1960 era) thet used to go straight through this roundabout to connect London Road with The Moor.

Looking up the Moor there was a patch of waste ground where there were sometimes Army displays. It was also used as Santa's Forest with loads of Christmas Trees, presumably making a long winding path to Santa's Grotto. (Not that I ever went to this Grotto - my grandmother insisted on taking me on the Ride to see Father Christmas in the Stores - the Ecclesall Road Co-op. I think in 1960 my Mother took me to the Co-op and the toy I came away with was a bubble blowing clown called Charlie. After a tracheotomy the toy blew bubbles from its neck.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hopman said:

I remember that when the trams were running (pre 1960 era) thet used to go straight through this roundabout to connect London Road with The Moor.

64ADA4F8-C936-4B4D-BDA0-F20DC3EFF622.jpeg

58378281-0690-4AB9-8608-FE6EB10D2F0E.jpeg

On 04/04/2020 at 12:21, Sheffield History said:

The Moor Sheffield.jpg

There were flags flying all over the City for the World Cup in 66.

There's been quite a few changes to the Moor since this photograph was taken in 1947!

Can anyone tell me what the building is that's under construction?

The Moor 1947.jpg

101019664_3625387157487827_3475851444207222784_n.jpg

Is this some kind of optical illusion?

It looks like The Moor is on a really steep gradient compared to the relatively flat Moor we have today?