Some information on James ANDREW:-
b 03 Jun 1810 Eyam Derbyshire
md Rebecca CHALONER 11 Aug 1836 St Peter's, Sheffield
d 17 Aug 1890 22 Yardley Street, Sheffield; bd 22 Aug 1890 Grave R101, General Cemetery, Sheffield
1836 (wedding) occ Glass Paper Maker
1836 Sheffield Independent - 13 August 1836 - MARRIAGES
Mr. James Andrew, glass paper maker, to Miss Rebecca Chaloner
1841 census 18 Fornham Street, Sheffield South Yorkshire
1841 res 18 Fornham Street, Sheffield South Yorkshire : occ Strickle Maker (Henry & Thos. Rodgers Sheffield & Rotherham Directory)
1842 Appointed Special Constable for Attercliffe South Yorkshire
1845 Local preacher in the Norfolk Street Circuit.
Excerpts from "The History of Weston Street" by Henry Richardson :-
The great division in the Methodist body (followers of Wesley) which occurred in 1849, by the suspension of three of its most prominent ministers, created consternation and excitement throughout the whole country and affected Sheffield in a remarkable manner.
In 1802 W. Griffiths was minister in the Sheffield circuit, and was extremely popular. James Everett
was appointed in 1819 to Carver St. Chapel, and in 1832 Samuel Dunn was also appointed at Carver St. It was in 1849 that a veteran now living amongst us--Joseph Dyson--joined John Unwin's class at Carver St.
The three ministers mentioned appealed from the decision of the Conference to their respective circuits, and sympathy was shewn by the thousands of followers which followed them from place to place. Had they been left to their individual resources the result would not have been so disastrous, but Conference allowed the Superintendents and Chairmen of the Circuits in the Connection unlimited powers in dealing with all sympathisers with the three expelled ministers and refusing their continued membership in the various Methodist Churches. This action aggravated the unfortunate position, and thousands of members were deprived of that Christian Fellowship which had been their lot for a number of years.
It is most remarkable that the few divisions of the Methodist Church since John Wesley's days were all related to matters of government, and not in a single case to that of faith in the eternal Godhead and of His Son, Jesus Christ.
As already stated, the deprivation of Church Membership applied to a very great degree to its local preachers, who were full of zeal and fervour, in spreading the Gospel to all who would listen.
Four years previous to the split, I find on an old plan, 1845, the name of John Richardson, class leader, and John Richardson, Jun., also class leader; John Neal, a class leader at Carver St., and also William Westby. S. H. Burrows a local preacher, Joshua Wilkinson and Walter Wilkinson, names well known during the earlier days, not to omit James ANDREW a local preacher in the Norfolk St. Circuit. Shortly after the expulsion of the three ministers by Conference, I find Everitt, Dunn, and Griffiths at a crowded meeting held in the Music Hall, on August 22nd, 1849, at which a sympathetic resolution was passed. For a short time devotional meetings were held in the Lyceum (this was a room in the Mechanics' Library, Surrey St. , now in the course of demolition, known to-day as the Central Public Library).
This place was too small and eventually the Reformers secured Mount Tabor Chapel as their centre. In June, 1850, Ald. Schofield, a prominent and leading public man, was charged before a meeting of Weslyan Leaders and Trustees with attending reform meetings and was expelled from the Methodist Church.
In September, 1850, the Rev. James Bromley was expelled in Conference and addressed a packed and crowded meeting in Sheffield.
The tension and excitement following these drastic steps throughout the country resulted in a loss of members totalling 55,852 in 1851; in Sheffield alone 4,734. Sir Henry Fowler, afterwards a Cabinet Minister in Her Majesty's Government, declared "that the Disruption of 1849 was a gigantic blunder on both sides." The loss to Methodism caused by this unfortunate split was computed to be, according to Dr. B. Gregory in his "Side Lights on the Conflicts in Methodism," over 100,000 adherents, mostly local preachers and supporters of the Weslyan body. These were young men whose love and adhesion to this powerful branch of God's Church were rendered useless in extending the Church of God. Possessing a spirit of chartism they were not dismayed but felt the need of activity in God's Church.
It will be noticed how frequent and continuous there appear the names of Richardson, Andrews and Neal. John Richardson, Snr., was residing on the premises in Pinstone Street (pulled down in the 1880's for street improvements). John Richardson, Jnr., was resident in Fitzwilliam St., James ANDREW (an Accountant), residing at 43, Campo Lane, and John Neal at 14, St. Philip's Road. In the year 1859 we find George Wagstaff admitted a member of the Church. The work of this congregation was marked. The membership numbered 112. At this period another name was added to this noble band, that of James Howarth, tool maker, who had removed from Sharrow Vale to 75, Gloucester Street. The following interesting minute is evidence of this fact: "That Bro. Howarth having removed from Sharrow Vale, and come to reside in the Town, he be recognised as a leader in connection with the Society, and that he raise a class at his own house or elsewhere." The membership was still further increased by the names of Mary Neal, Ann Crapper and Joseph Crapper.
An interesting event of this period was handed to the writer of these notes by the late Charles Hobson (a labour leader) to the effect--"Watery Street Reform Chapel had been erected--he held the office of Secretary to the Preachers' Meeting for nine years. John Neal was President. He (Hobson) preached his trial sermon in the small vestry at Watery Street at 7 o'clock on the Sunday morning. Messrs. Westby, Wagstaff and Wilkinson were present. He went to breakfast with Wagstaff, who lived in Fitzwilliam Street."
The Sunday School, with nearly 200 scholars, was prospering in a remarkable manner. The Superintendents were Messrs. Fould and Booth; the General Secretary, Mr. Edward Richardson; and the treasurer, John Richardson, Jnr. On alternate Sundays, the following persons interested themselves in the School as Teachers with six classes -- Mr Hawley, John Feltrup, Matthew ANDREW, Mr Walton, E. Gray and James ANDREW, Junr., with Miss Walton (friend of Miss Neal), Miss Machon, Mrs. Blenkhorn, Miss Butterfield, and Miss Neal.
1850 Informed by Superintendent his membership of East Circuit terminated.
1851 census 60 Silver Street Head, Sheffield South Yorkshire : occ Clerk & Shopman
1852 res 60 Silver Street Head, Sheffield South Yorkshire : occ Stay Dealer (White's Directory)
1861 census 43 Campo Lane, Sheffield South Yorkshire : occ Accountant & Local Preacher
1861 Appointed Local Secretary of West Riding Trade Protection Society
1861 Preached 25/08/1861 at opening of Owlerton Wesleyan Reform Sunday School
1861 Appointed Secretary of Sheffield & West Riding Trade Protection Society
1864 The Great Flood at Sheffield (March 11 & 12) killed 238 people
1871 census 160 Broad Lane, Sheffield South Yorkshire : occ Accountant & Wesleyan Reform Preacher; 1 servant [also present: Susanna COOPER - sister-in-Law - married age 69 b Syen Lincolnshire]
1871 res 160 Broad Lane, Sheffield South Yorkshire: occ Accountant (White's Directory)
1881 census 22 Yardley Street, Sheffield South Yorkshire : occ Annuitant [also present : Lucy J CHALONER, Neice, unmarried age 34 born Branston Lincolnshire].
1890 res 22 Yardley Street, Sheffield South Yorkshire : occ Gentleman
1890 Sheffield Independent - 19 August 1890 - FUNERALS
ANDREW. - August 17, at 22, Yardley Street, Mr. James Andrew, aged 80. Interment at General Cemetery, 2.45, Wednesday. Friends will please accept this intimation.
1890 Funeral service conducted by James HOWARTH.
Became 1st President of Weston Street United Methodist Free Church.
There is now a James Andrew Crescent, off Greenhill Main Road, Greenhill, Sheffield South Yorkshire
ALSO his son James ANDREW :-
b 4th Qtr 1843 Sheffield
md 1st Qtr 1866 Ruth Anna BUXTON
d 4th Qtr 1911 Ecclesall Bierlow Reg Dist
bd 01 Nov 1911 Grave Z113, General Cemetery, Sheffield
1851 census 60 Silver Street Head, Sheffield South Yorkshire : occ Scholar
1861 census 43 Campo Lane, Sheffield South Yorkshire : occ Bookkeeper
1868 res Sunset View, St Stephen's Road, Sheffield South Yorkshire : occ Accountant
1869 Conducted choir at anniversary of Weston Street Sunday School.
1871 occ Secretary, The Sheffield & West Riding Trade Protection Society, 18 Bank Street, Sheffield South Yorkshire (1871 Trade Directory)
1871 occ Accountant, Auditor, Estate Agent, Collector of Rents and Debts, Agent for Fire, Life, and Accident Insurance, 18 Bank Street, Sheffield South Yorkshire (1871 Trade Directory)
1871 census 13 Mushroom Lane, Sheffield South Yorkshire : occ Accountant; 1 servant
Sunday School teacher at Weston Street Church at Garden Street, Sheffield South Yorkshire
1873 Honorary Secretary of Sheffield Sunday School Union. Attended September funeral of Rev. Canon SALE, vicar of Sheffield.
1874 office 52 Bank Street, Sheffield South Yorkshire
1876 Delegate for Weston Street Sunday School at Yorkshire Sunday School Union Conference at Barnsley
1879 res 3 West Bank Place, Glossop Road, Ecclesall Bierlow, Sheffield South Yorkshire : occ Accountant
1879 - 1880 Member of Council, Sheffield Liberal Association
1881 census 3 West Bank Place, Glossop Road, Ecclesall Bierlow, Sheffield South Yorkshire : occ Chartered Accountant; 1 servant
1882 res 3 West Bank Place, Glossop Road, Ecclesall Bierlow, Sheffield South Yorkshire : occ Accountant
1889 President of Weston Street United Methodist Free Church.
1889 Sheffield Independent - 31 December 1889 - WESTON STREET SUNDAY SCHOOL
The annual meeting of this Sunday School was held last evening, when a large number took tea. The after meeting was presided over by Mr. James Andrew, Jun. (president of the Church), and the report of the school's operations during the year had been in some respects a rather peculiar one, still the outlook was promising and encouraging. The present number of scholars is 447, with a staff of officers and teachers numbering 49. Addresses were given by the Rev. R. Chew and Messrs. E. Tuck, J. J. Muxlow, and John Richardson (senior superintendent of the school). The chapel choir enlivened the meeting with several anthems. The following solos were very effectively rendered :- Miss E. Andrew sang "I know that my Redeemer liveth," and Miss Shirtliff, "He was despised." Mr. James Allen ably acccompanied.
1891 census 103 Southford Street, Ecclesall Bierlow, Sheffield South Yorkshire : occ Chartered Accountant; 1 servant
1901 census 3 Sheamond Road, Ecclesall Bierlow, Sheffield South Yorkshire : occ Chartered Accountant; 1 servant
1905 occ Chartered Accountant, Estate & Financial Agent; Secretary, Sheffield & Hallamshire Property Co. Limited; Agent for Alliance Fire & British Empire Life Cos., Rodgers' Chambers, 63 Norfolk Street (Whites Directory of Sheffield and Rotherham)
1911 census 6 Elmore Road, Moor Oakes South Yorkshire : occ Chartered Accountant, Estate Agent, Financial Agent; occ Secretary, Wesleyan Union Sick Society, Rodgers Chambers, 63 Norfolk Street, Sheffield South Yorkshire (White's Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham 1911)
There is now a James Andrew Crescent, off Greenhill Main Road, Greenhill, Sheffield South Yorkshire