Jump to content

Edmund

Sheffield History Member
  • Content Count

    1,523
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    35

Everything posted by Edmund

  1. Have a look at Graces Guide here: https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Sheffield_Steel_Products They went into Administration in May 1998 and limped along until a liquidator was appointed in January 2005. The final meeting of the liquidation process was held in April 2007: Final Meetings SHEFFIELD STEEL PRODUCTS LIMITED (Company Number 03583879) Notice is hereby given, pursuant to section 106 of the Insolvency Act 1986, that the Final Meetings of Members and Creditors of the above-named Company will be held at The P&A Partnership, 93 Queen Street, Sheffield S1 1WF, on 17 April 2007, at 11.00 am and 11.15 am, to receive an account showing how the winding-up of the Company has been conducted and the property of the Company disposed of, and to hear any explanation that may be given by the Liquidator. A Member or Creditor entitled to vote at the above Meetings may appoint a proxy to attend in his place. It is not necessary for the proxy to be a Member or Creditor. Proxy forms must be returned to the offices of The P&A Partnership, 93 Queen Street, Sheffield S1 1WF, not later than 12.00 noon on the last working day before the Meeting. P A Revill, Joint Liquidator 6 March 2007.
  2. The answer is that Coalpit lane was changed to Cambridge street in 1863 although there had been mutterings about changing it for some years previously. Some relevant correspondence from the newspapers is below. It appears that all the owners of property in the lane (apart from a handful who could not be contacted) were in favour of changing the name, as it gave a poor impression of their business's to outsiders. Robert Eadon Leader (historian and publisher of the Independent) was against the change and suggested changing the name to Coalpit street as a compromise. What also comes out of the correspondence is that although the laying of the Crimea Monument foundation stone by the Duke of Cambridge on 21st October 1857 triggered the requests for a name change, the monument was only completed six years later, in October 1863. Note how quickly the change in name was taken up by residents, some later street name changes took years for acceptance.
  3. The current building seems to have been built in 1880 by the Smith Bros, ivory dealers, and from the outset was called the Albert Works. The Smiths originally had the ground floor and rented the rest out to the Brook Brothers who were silver platers. The Smith Brothers partnership had been dissolved in 1864 (Thomas and Ann, his sister in law, Ivory, Pearl and Tortoise-shell Cutters and Dealers based at the Washington Works). The Smith Brothers ivory dealing business continued at the Washington Works until late 1880 when they moved into their newly built premises on Cambridge Street. Just over a year later it suffered from a fire, The Independent referred to the premises as the Albert Works while mysteriously the Telegraph called them the Helmet Works. So was the inscribed keystone re-used from the building that was on the plot previously - Edward Linley, Sheep Shear Manufacturer? See the 1884 newspaper article below. John Linley, Master Cutler in 1797 was a scissorsmith based at Spring Street, so possibly can be eliminated. An advert for the sale of Linley's premises in 1857. It appears that the Smith Brothers of Washington Works bought the premises, as in April 1859 they advertised that "TO LET and may be entered upon on and after the 26th day of April next, the PREMISES situated on Coalpit-lane now in the occupation of Mr Edward Linley, Sheep Shear Manufacturer - For further Particulars inquire of SMITH BROTHERS, Washington Works" : A letter possibly written by William Topham, who made the sketches of old Coal Pit Lane: Edward Linley died aged 65 at St Mary's Road on 2nd December 1879. The Linley family were at Coalpit Lane in 1841:
  4. Here's an advert for the sale of the bears in 1859, but it's not clear whether they were sold, they may well have remained into the 1860's. There's no report of anyone ever being killed or even mauled by the bears, which I would have thought would have been newsworthy - possibly an urban myth?
  5. The Board of Education contributed £396 towards the cost of the recently erected pavilion at the City Training College Playing Fields at Norton in August 1913. The provision of a pavilion had been discussed since February 1911 but the original plans by the City Architect were costed at £700 and had to be scaled back. Professor W.P.Wynne, Dean of the Faculty of Pure science, took a keen interest in student sports, and had been the driving force for the pavilion. - EDIT This was not the Training College Pavilion, but the Hobson Memorial Pavilion on the University Athletic Grounds. This pavilion was built in 1928. Thanks for provoking further thought southside!
  6. And if you want to do some pre-reading on the subject then CAMRA's "Sheffield's Real Heritage Pubs" book 2019 edition is here: https://sheffield.camra.org.uk/SheffieldsRealHeritagePubs.pdf
  7. Not the 60s / 70s but the birth of the Millhouses pool: The Ministry of Health sanctioned a loan of £10,500 for the pool to be repaid over 30 years. It was under construction in March 1929 and the Parks and Burial Grounds Committee agreed that admission should be free, but there would be charges for towels etc. Mixed bathing would be allowed and the pool would not open on Sundays. In June the specification was altered to make it suitable for water polo (the 6 foot deep area was increased to allow polo to be played crosswise) but it was found that the depth could not be increased from the planned 9 foot for diving competitions. The pool was opened on 15th August 1929 by the Lord Mayor Alderman Harry Bolton, who had a lifelong interest in swimming and had suggested the pool 18 years previously. 15,000 people attended the ceremony which was followed by exhibition swimming, high and fancy diving by Olive Flint, a show by Madame Hazeldene and her Water Babies, and a water polo match between Croft House and City Police. The censor was very strict and checked all bathing costumes, which had comply with A.S.A. rules (which were unknown to most people) – for example two ladies were turned away, one had a costume half dark blue and half dark green, the other’s was lighter but of very thick material. However there were calls for the regulations to be tightened up further: The Parks and Burial Grounds Committee publicised the fact that would discuss opening the pool on Sunday mornings. However on Sunday 15th September in the mistaken assumption it had already been agreed a large number of bathers turned up wanting to swim and found it closed. Some went home but some decided to bathe anyway – the men climbed over the fence and the women wriggled under it. When an irate official arrived and threw them out, he spitefully made them exit the way they had come in – over or under the fence. In October the Committee agreed for the pool to open on Sundays until noon.
  8. The 1904 Licensing Act introduced a scheme whereby Licensing Magistrates could now refuse to renew a pub’s licence if it was considered that the pub was unnecessary to provide for the needs of the public. Compensation would be paid both to the owner of the premises and the licensee although, typically, only about 10% of the compensation went to the licensee. This compensation was paid for by a levy on the licences granted to other premises. This provision of the 1904 Act was carried forward into the Licensing (Consolidation) Act of 1910. The first operation of this new scheme was on 8th May 1905 at the first meeting of the Licensing Compensation Authority, which consisted of the City Justices including the Licensing Committee. All the following 18 houses had their licences refused. This gives an indication of their closure date and final landlord. Bailey Hotel, Bailey Street, licensee Harriet Guest, owner Strouts Brewery Co Ltd Black Horse (beer-on licence), Edward Street, licensee John Hudson, owner Old Albion Brewery Co Ltd Britannia Tavern, Portobello Street, licensee John Shaw, Owner S.H.Ward and Co Ltd, in existence since 1825 Corner Pin, Allen Street, licensee Titus Marsden, owner A.H. Smith and Co. Ltd Crooked Billet, Scotland Street, licensee George Henry Malkin for last 13 years, owner Thos Rawson and Co Ltd (tenant provided 50 dinners a day at 4½d each) Cross Daggers, West Bar Green ,licensee Alfred Elliott for last 18 years, owner Thos Rawson and Co Ltd Filesmiths’ Arms, Scotland Street, licensee Peter Scanlon, owner James Haynes, Crown Brewery Nelson Hotel (beer-on licence), Solly Street, licensee John Fleming, owner Duncan Gilmour and Co Ltd New Britannia, Portobello Street, licensee William Fletcher, owner Brampton Brewery Co Ltd Oak Tree (free house), Broad Lane, licensee John Miles Fawcett, owner James Newton, Birkendale Old Turk’s Head, Scotland Street Orange Branch (off- licence), Hollis Croft, licensee Mary Ann Watson, owner Thos Rawson and Co Ltd Pheasant, Bailey Lane, licensee William Kirk, owner Chambers and Co Ltd Shamrock Inn, Solly Street, licensee Patrick Cusack, owner John Smith’s Tadcaster Brewery Co Ltd Star, Orange Street, licensee Henry Carter, owner John Smith’s Tadcaster Brewery Co Ltd Wheat Sheaf, Bailey Lane, owner Henry Tomlinson Ltd White Lion, Bailey Street, owner Henry Tomlinson Ltd (No sign beer-on licence), 69 Scotland Street, licensee Albert Crow, owner Charles Lawton
  9. Trippets Bar was the Red Lion (89 Trippet Lane). From 1903 to 5th July 1905 when he died, the licensee was Thomas Wreaks, previously of the Norfolk Arms, Ringinglow. In June 1911 the licence was transferred from Joe Woodhouse to Thomas Round. (Joe went to the Welsh Harp at 230 St Philips Road. In February 1926 the freehold owned by Mr B Gleadhill, and let to Messrs Stones for £60 a year, was sold for £1,000. In November 1927 Rose Hatch, 46 year old housekeeper at the Harp, was killed falling down the cellar steps. Joe died in 1932) In May 1912 the Red Lion's licence went from Thomas Round to Frank Naylor In December 1914 the licence went from Frank Naylor to Thomas Sellers In September 1916 it was temporarily transferred to Arthur Sanderson, a joiner from Retford, whose wife had experience in the beer trade. The previous licensee had been convicted of selling liquor in prohibited hours and fined £25. In March 1917 the police contested renewal due to bad conduct and the magistrates refused to renew it. The 1925 Kellys Directory shows Thomas Hill as the licensee. The Red Lion was still in business in January 1930 when the landlord advertised stabling there. But in May 1933 the licence was not renewed and the premises went onto the compensation list.
  10. Here is some information about the Sheffield Club which is taken from a Ph.D thesis submitted by Alan P White to the University of Leeds, Department of Social Policy and Sociology in March 1990. The first mention of the Club in the local press occurs in July 1843 when the following advertisement appeared: "Wanted to Rent. For a term of years in a central part of the town, premises suitable for the SHEFFIELD CLUB - Rent and other particulars to be communicated by letter to Mr. Wake. In December of the same year another advertisement appeared asking for a "middle aged married man" to act as steward.' The Club opened in January 1844 in a house in Norfolk Street which had been taken on a ten year lease at a rental of £60 p.a. At the 50th anniversary dinner, held on the 1 January 1894, the only surviving original member (Sir Henry Edmund Watson ) said: "Before the present club was formed there had been a small club of professional men, merchants, and others, who meet from time to time for lunch, smoke and joke. A desire, however, arose among some of the younger generation for rather more extended accommodation. Seven daring spirits then agreed to form the present club and were delighted to find the elder gentlemen of the old club ready to join them." Unfortunately Watson does not go on to say who the seven were, or what the old club was. However, an entry in the minutes for 25 October 1847 may cast some light on the former. It shows that £118.11s.7d had been repayed to William Wake, Benjamin Huntsman, William Watson and Richard Stuart in respect of £100 which they had lent the Club in 1843. A solicitor, coal owner, bank director and iron and brass founder, the mix was typical of Club membership throughout the period of this study. Of these four Richard Stuart is the odd man out, as his membership of the Club seems to have been tenuous. On the 22nd February 1844 the minutes of the general committee record that some discussion took place about "parties now wishing to back out" from paying their subscription money. On the 29 June the problem came up again, and this time the men were named; they were "Mr.Vickers" (possibly Edward Vickers, corn and flour dealer, and father of a later member T E Vickers), Thomas Branson (a solicitor and still a member in 1849), Alfred Sorby and Stuart himself. Vickers and Sorby seem to have resigned whilst Stuart stayed long enough to collect his repayment in October 1847 and left in the December of the following year. In 1851 the club consisted of Two Billiards Rooms, a Reading Room, a Smoke Room, a Coffee Room, a Dining Room and sleeping accommodation for the steward (there was presumably a kitchen somewhere although this is not mentioned). Apart from the steward and his wife - the cook - there were also a billiard marker, two 'boys' and a Housekeeper. At this time the steward and his wife were being paid £60 p.a. "on condition that they be subject to leave at a minutes notice - and that their children be not allowed to be in the Club at all." By 1855 their wages had been increased to £71 p.a. and the staff had grown to two Waiters ( £11.10s. p.a.), two Markers ( £7.10.s p.a.), and two Maid Servants (£9 p.a.). The total wage bill for the year 1855-6 given in the accounts of the Sheffield Club is £127. In keeping with the London Clubs on which it was modelled, the Club had a Committee of Management which handled its day to day affairs. This in turn was divided into a Wine Committee, a House Committee, a Billiard Committee and a number of scrutineers for the election of new members. The committee consisted of twelve members, three of whom were to retire - with the possibility of re-election - at the end of each year. The report which the committee delivered to the first annual general meeting on the 5th January 1845 illustrated the great advantage to be gained by having at least one member of the Club from the various trades from which it would need to buy supplies. Expressing their aim of exercising "the strictest Economy consistent with the comfort of the Members and respectability of the Establishment"' they went on to thank the members who had provided goods on "liberal terms"; as the 'members' included Rodgers & Sons (Cutlery Manufacturers) it seems reasonable to assume that the committee was buying cutlery and furniture as well as food and drink. At first the Club provided only one meal a day - a 'Table d'Hote' of meat, vegetables and cheese - at 2.00pm each day (except Sunday) at a cost of 1/6d. It continued through to December 1851 when it was discontinued in favour of a more flexible arrangement with a meal of meat, soup and vegetables being available between 2.00pm and 5.00pm. This situation lasted until 1855 when the table d'hote was started again. The only surviving full price list shows that by 1862 the Club was providing a full food service throughout the day, and that it had a reasonably well stocked wine cellar. As we saw above, the Club occupied rented premises in the centre of town. In 1848 the Committee decided that "in order to insure as much as possible the quietness and privacy" of the Club, they would rent the two cottages adjoining it." These seem to have been owned by the same landlady as the Club itself - Sara Woodhead - for it was she who in February 1853 sent the Club a letter informing them that the rent for the club house was to be increased by £20 pa to £80, whilst the rent of the two cottages would stay at £20pa. This seems to have stimulated the committee members into considering the possibility of the Club owning its own premises. At the same meeting a sub-committee was formed to look into the idea of either buying the land on which the club house stood, or buying what is referred to in the minutes as 'Mr. Colley's premises on the East'. In March of the same year the committee discussed buying 'Mr. Dixion's house in Norfolk Row for the erection of a new club house (this would seem to be John Dixion, a solicitor and member of the Club who died in 1854). M E Hadifeld was asked to consult with Dixion and was given the power to offer up to £1,200 for the site. Nothing seems to have come of these inquiries and in July 1853 the committee agreed to the rent increases under threat of a years notice to quit. A further plan to raise capital in the form of £25 shares for the purchase of new premises was discussed at the committee meeting on the 27 April 1857. It would appear that some preliminary costing had been done for the projected house, as the minutes of the AGM held in February of the next year give a planned cost of £6,000. The minutes also reveal that due to the slump that occurred during 1857, the plan was abandoned. Once again the scheme rested for a few years until 1860 when, at the AGM, the plan to sell £25 shares was revived. This time the plan seems to have been successful because the Committee announced at the next AGM that it had purchased the site for the new club house and that Hadfield had been asked to draw up plans. The tenders having been placed, the committee recorded in its minutes for 1 April 1861 that the quotations received had exceeded the amount they were willing to spend and that the £25 shares should be increased to £30. A week later the committee gave the building sub-committee the power to place the contract for the exterior of the building with a Mr. Conran at a cost of £3,990. From this point forward the work on the new building seems to have gone at a smart pace, for at the AGM held on 10th February 1862 the committee recorded that the exterior of the house was completed and a year later the Club had moved in. This move was necessary if the Club was to accommodate the increasing number of members which it had. As we have seen, the original plan to raise the capital for the new club house had been to sell shares at £25. This, however, proved to be too small a sum and in April 1861 the committee agreed to increase each share by £5. In the meantime, the land on which the building was to be erected had been bought in December 1860 by M.E. Hadfield and Bernard Wake for £2,020 10s. The site - which stood on the corner of Norfolk Street and Mulberry Street - consisted of 447 square yards and was already built on. The total cost of buying the land and erecting the new club house was £7,200 and the draft Deed of Association of the Sheffield Club shows that this was raised by the sale of 240 shares. Hadfield and Wake, as the nominal owners of the land and building, passed their ownership to 12 trustees - of which they were two - who in turn leased the property to six lessees for 21 years at £360 per annum. The trustees and the committee of management for the year 1863-4 were identical: viz., John Dixion , W F Dixion jun. (silver-plater), Hadfield, F T Mappin (steel smelter and tool manufacturer), Richard Martin (silver-plater), C E Smith (accountant), Thomas Smith(solicitor), R B Streatfield (steel smelter and tool manufacturer), Bernard Wake (solicitor), Frederick Ward (cutlery manufacturer; son of T A Ward), H E Watson (solicitor) and Benjamin Wightman (solicitor). The opening of the new building was reported in three of the local papers. The copy for the reports was virtually identical in all of them. The Independent, taking up the theme of 'improvement' began by stating that "The inconvenience of the old Club House has long been felt, and this new building is the result of a spirited effort on the part of the members, who determined to have a building worthy of themselves and the town." In the layout of its rooms, and the floors on which they were placed the Sheffield Club seems to have followed the pattern of at least two London Clubs: The Athenaeum and The Reform. On the ground floor were the Coffee Room, "45 feet long and 25 feet wide, and 14 high - a noble apartment"; the steward's office; a "breakfast or morning room, 18 feet by 14 feet" and "very complete lavatories and retiring rooms". On the first floor, the reading-room or library "45 feet by 27 feet, and 14 feet high.": "This apartment is furnished in walnut and green Utrecht velvet, richly carpeted: but the chief attractions are the mantelpieces at each end of the room. A glass panelling of noble dimensions, in a walnut frame inlaid with tulip-wood and richly gilten tablature, surmounts an arch of green Belgian marble, in the keystone of which is inserted a timepiece, and on beautifully inlaid pedestals are tripod lamps, six feet high."' The committee room and the 'private dining room' were on the same floor. Above them was the billiard room, plus "a small smoke room".On the top floor were five bedrooms for the use of members staying overnight. Each of these floors was connected at the front of the house by a five feet wide staircase of "Elland-edge stone with electro-bronze balustrade", and at the back by a stone staircase which also went down to the cellar. Here the servants’ quarters were located consisting of a kitchen, scullery, larder, wine cellars, servants’ hall etc. The Sheffield Times concludes its article: "Of the exterior it is scarcely necessary to speak. It has a solid English and thoroughly genteel look, expressing with boldness and truth its purpose, being a town residence, such as abound in the older parts of London, of palladium architecture, of the school of Inigo Jones."' The move to the new building was occasioned by other drains on the resources of the Club. At the Annual Meeting held on the 8 February 1864 the committee reported on the fact that they had been instructed by the last meeting to "purchase entirely new Furniture for the Dining and Reading Room; this step was absolutely necessary to make the furnishing of the Club consistent with the building itself". This had involved the committee in £1,000 worth of expenditure. In order to cover this amount they suggested that the members should make a loan to the Club - with interest - in sums of £120 each. However, as has been seen the membership of the Club does not seem to have been very willing to part with its money, and at the next General Meeting the committee had to report that the response had been so bad that they had been obliged to give their personal guarantee to the Bank Almost half of the 1868 Sheffield Magistrates Bench were members of the Club: Club Members H Wilkinson - Silver-plater - Unitarian - Liberal J W Hawksworth - Steel and tools - Congregational - Liberal S Butcher - Steel and cutlery - Anglican - Tory J Brown - Steel and tools - Anglican - Tory R Jackson - Steel and tools - Unitarian - Liberal W Fisher - Ivory, bone etc. dealer - Unitarian - Liberal H Harrison - Cutlery manufacturer T Jessop - Steel smelter - Unitarian - Liberal W F Dixion - Silver-plater - Methodist - Tory Not Club Members J Webster - Solicitor T R Barker - White lead manufacturer - Liberal J J Smith - Stove grade manufacturer - Methodist - Tory E Vickers - Steel and tools - Methodist - Liberal T Dunn - Coal owner - Congregationalist - Liberal J Haywood - "Gentleman" T Blake - Retired partner from Wm. Greaves and Son, steel and cutlery H E Hoole - Stove grate manufacturer - Congregationalist - Liberal Rev. John Hand - Rector of Handsworth - Anglican Wm. Jeffcock - Coal Owner - Congregationalist - Liberal R Bayley - "Gentleman" J B Brown - Land agent - Liberal
  11. No, I found it on ebay with a search for sold items : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Police-Station-Sheffield-1912-Real-Photo-Postcard-C014-/372827515093?hash=item56ce4068d5%3Ag%3AtL4AAOSwqQpdvApl&nma=true&si=ICzt20w7%2F84Ivg8tESE0nUTzauc%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
  12. The postcard was sent by Lily Bancroft of 84 Tasker Road, the wife of Police Constable Benjamin Bancroft (keen on mushrooms and seaside rock) who was based at Broomhill Police Station. Lily sent the card to Elizabeth Waltham, who was the mother in law of Police Constable Arthur Walton of 36 Tasker Road, also based at Broomhill Police Station. Arthur had married Lily Waltham in 1903. Elizabeth Waltham had a Provisions shop at 93 Meadow Street. That year Elizabeth had gone on holiday to Mrs Marriott's guest house at Cleethorpes, 5 Rowston Street. Elizabeth Waltham died aged 60 at 36 Tasker Road and was buried at Burngreave on 19th November 1917.
  13. At the 1861 Census, Samuel Matthews was a police constable living with his family at 33 Fulwood Road (next to the Wesleyan Chapel), which presumably would have been the original police station. By the time the new Station was opened he was a Sergeant there. 27th July 1871 - Tender for erection of Broomhill Police Station by George Foulstone for £940 accepted. 12th October 1871 - The Mayor’s motion to lease a plot of land from William Spooner for 500 years for the new Police Station was agreed. In the 1950s the building was used as a base for the Scouts. The current 16th Sheffield (Westborne) Scout Troop hut is now on the site. In 1966 Arndale Developments Ltd proposed building the re-sited South Seas Hotel Public house with self-contained flat over. And in 1967 Plans for Ten saleshops with roof top parking at Fulwood Road and off Spooner Road, were drawn up. This may have incorporated demolition of the Station building?
  14. Maybe this 1939 census entry will help? Frank was at 7 Winster Road, working in a wire mill. His future wife and her son were lodging there. According to this they married on 27th February 1946 (not in 1945) Here's Mabel burial record, she died at Firvale Hospital and was buried on New Years Day 1925
  15. Here's an account of the "dispute" between Horatio Bright and T.B.Matthews (of Turton Brothers and Matthews, steel makers), mentioned on the Chris Hobbs website. It also includes the text of the postcard with "gross language" that Bright sent. Warning: includes lots of sticking tongues out, blowing raspberries and thumbing noses.
  16. Thomas Heaton, an they cost 5 bob - any fule no that
  17. I'm sure you're right - PictureSheffield have this photo taken in October 1949 of the Broadfield Road/ London Road junction. The Flood photo is older though - in 1925 Boots Cash Chemists (Eastern) Ltd had a branch at 514,516,518 London Road and they'd been there since 1891.
  18. At the start of the war many of the sirens were the existing "Works" sirens 13 of which had been installed and tested in March 1939. When police headquarters received warning of a raid, their telephonists rang round the works telling them to sound the alarm.
  19. It's the White Hart Inn, Worksop Road, Attercliffe, now demolished. On the above picture you can make out that it's a Stones house and the landlord is C. I. Needham. EDIT His wife Bertha died 3rd April 1921 not Charles Isaac - my error. However, Charles Isaac in July 1921 moved to the Plumpers Inn at Tinsley so we still have a guide as to the date. He moved to the Stag Hotel, 111 Wickersley Road, Herringthorpe in September 1933 (the pub is still there on the Stag roundabout). He actually died in 1942, buried on 24th September. I've added an extract from the 1939 Census More info here:
  20. The earliest reference in the papers to Canning Street was January 1834 when Willliam Hutchinson had his table cloth stolen. In 1835 the Kings Head in Canning Street was a substantial business: Oliver Cromwell Turner ran the Springfield Ropery on Broomhall Street. In 1841 he was a ropemaker living on Shalesmoor, but by 1851 he and his family had moved to 65 Division Street. He died at Division Street on 12th Augsut 1865.
  21. It was Bookless Brothers, a Standard Cars dealer in 1924. Still there in the 1960s. T.C. "Cuth" Harrison raced a 12 year old supercharged E.R.A. finishing in sixth position at the European Grand Prix in Monza in 1949, and he won the RAC Trials Championship twice in the 1950s.
  22. Boston Street was included in the 1950 war damage clearance compulsory purchase order.
  23. The tapes appear to date from 1990 so I'd guess that "Online" is a play on words - On-tram-line
  24. It is at the entrance to Sheffield Council Transport Services Depot. The site was a brickworks in the 1890s.
  25. Courtesy of Crossley's "Water Power in Sheffield": Here is a plan showing Bennetts Wheel in 1823. The wheel was in existence in 1604 and its name changed when Edward Bennett took on the tenancy in 1737. In 1759 it was planned to double the size of the dam to cover over an acre. In 1794 widow Bennett had 15 troughs with 15 men employed. In 1823 (when the above plan was made) George Rock owned the wheel and the dam was to be reduced in size, possibly connected with the building of the Vulcan Works and steam rolling mill in the middle of the decade. The rate books in the 1830s show no wheel matching Bennett Wheel and under an 1810 agreement its dam was used only for boiler water for the Vulcan Works until at least 1851. Thomas Ellin had bought the property in 1831 hence the name of the street that followed the southern side of the dam. Here is a plan showing the Sylvester and Cinderhill Wheels: The Sylvester Wheel probably originated as one of the "wheels in the pasture" in the early 1600s. The name was changed when Field Sylvester took on the wheel in 1697. Sylvester was a substantial businessman, for example buying £500 of iron from Attercliffe Forge for resale in 1711, so this wheel would have been only a small part of his operations. When he died in 1717 the tenancy was assigned to David Fullilove then Thomas Wilson, the Wilsons holding the tenancy for the rest of the century. From 1725 to 1745 the wheel was small with only 3 troughs plus an ease trough. A Fairbanks plan of 1748 shows a project to enlarge the dam by removing 400 cubic yards of earth. A plan of 1769 shows developments including a second dam (not clear if that dam was made). By 1794 the wheel had 20 troughs and employed 20 men. The wheel was purchased from the Norfolk estate in 1811 by Thomas Holy who sold it to Messrs Ellin and Ingall in 1827 after which it was referred to as Ellin's Wheel. After 1800 many changes took place - before the sale to Holy, the course of the Porter had been straightened, with a further re-alignment at the start of Holy's ownership. In 1830 there was a 10 foot by 6'9" water wheel producing 10 1/4 horse power and a 10hp Boulton and Watt steam engine. Water power ceased being used about 1850, although the 1850-1 rate book notes head and fall, the 1851 OS map refers to the dams as reservoirs which suggests storage for steam engines. By 1864 the dams had been filled in and divided up for re-development. The area in 1808:
×