Jump to content

Edmund

Sheffield History Member
  • Content Count

    1,454
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    17

Edmund last won the day on April 2

Edmund had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

98 Excellent

1 Follower

About Edmund

  • Rank
    Sheffield History Pro

Profile Information

  • Location
    Ramsbottom, Lancashire

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. WH Smith had kiosks in both Midland and Victoria stations in 1908. Smiths were operating in Victoria in 1859, and in the Midland in 1865.
  2. From "Britain From Above" taken in 1953 (Bridge Inn bottom right): The works appear to have been erected around 1883 by the Sheffield United Gas company to deal with the sulphur compounds produced from the gas manufacture. Mr Key was the first manager. Originally the "foul gases" were absorbed by oxide of iron, however in May 1883 Mr Key required the space taken by the iron oxide purifiers for a different purpose. Accordingly the process was changed to one which converted the hydrogen sulphide into sulphuric acid. The new process was a failure and resulted in an overhead crane driver at Vickers being overcome by fumes from the works in November 1883, followed by complaints from the local area about the stench, and debates in the council chamber. The Gas Company reverted to the original process by December 1884 and there do not seem to have been complaints after that. Mr. Key it appears had no expertise in chemical engineering.
  3. William Ernest Muteham (James' son) suffered a gunshot wound to his shoulder at Ypres in 1915 and as a Corporal in 3 Battalion KOYLI won the Mediterranean Medal during the Boer War. The family lived at 61 Penistone Road in 1900 when he joined up. There are some military service records available on Find My Past - do you already have these?.
  4. If a professional boxer ever turns up on your doorstep with a black pomeranian dog, and is asking for lodgings, tell them to sling their hook.
  5. Brightside Bridge was on a list of bridges in the West Riding compiled for the Quarter Sessions in 1730. The bridge and approaches were "adopted" by the Corporation in 1857. The following may help: From PictureSheffield: A Rough Draught of that part of [Car]Brook [Carbrook] Estate contiguous to the Wheels and Tilting Mill Date: 1741 Surveyor: William Fairbank I. Fields, etc. between the Don and the Carr Brook, with perspective sketches of Brightside Bridge (three arched), a farmhouse and the wheels and tilt; an historical account of the development of the wheels is given, with an explanation of the causes of flooding; flooded areas marked in with acreages. (Carbrook Street) Brightside Forge and Nether Forge, including part of the Carbrook Estate. Original at Sheffield City Archives: ACM/MAPS/SheD/786S
  6. Here's an article from 1939 which covers numerous streets in Sheffield. The sketch shows Costnough Hall on the left - it also goes by the name Costnott Hall, Gosnock Hall, Gosnick Hall - and stood on the site of the Black Swan in Snig Hill. In a note in his History of the Cutlers Company, R.E.Leader wrote: In 1749 Samuel Shore senr. granted to his son, Samuel Shore junr. certain messuages, cottages, barns &c. upon a croft whereon the younger Shore erected dwelling houses "called or known by the name of Gosnick (or Gosnock) Hall or by whatsoever name or names the same is called or distinguished, at or near a place called Snigg Hill, which said premises did consist partly of the Black Swan Inn, then or lately David Kilner, and two other messuages in the occupation of Joshua Cawton and Joseph Coulton". In 1795 Joseph Greasby was described as having succeeded David Kilner, and he is given in the Directory of 1797 as 'victualler at Snig hill' ; but but it is difficult to harminise the former of these dates with the fact that in 1796 David Kilner advertised that he had geatly enlarged and improved the Black Swan. The name of John Haugh occurs among the names of the tenants mentioned in 1749 as occupants of the cottages pulled down to build Gosnock Hall, and in 1707 he, a baker, was part owner of the Crown and Thistle, Irish Cross ; but it seems probable that this was on the other side of Snig Hill, near Water Lane, and was not a precursor of the Black Swan. Below is a 1906 newspaper article by Leader which includes mention of Gosnock Hall
  7. An example of the local accent changing a name is Hole House at Whitley Carr in Ecclesfield - it became Hoyle House.
  8. Jno is the standard abbreviation for John - similar to Wm for William, Jas for James, Jos for Joseph, Tho for Thomas, Robt for Robert, Benj for Benjamin, Geo for George etc
  9. Update to the landlords of the Bird in Hand (originally next door to the Cutlers Hall, demolished in 1832 for the west end of the new hall) from R E Leader's History of the Cutlers Company: 1736 - 1738 Matthias Hobson 1741 - 1755 William Dixon 1757-1759 John Thompson after 1761 Richard Brittlebank, then John Colquhoun 1772 - 1808 John Rose to 1817 Thomas Rose 1809 John Richards
  10. Other schools around in 1901 were: University House, 31 Havelock Street, for young working men, established 1901 The Central Secondary Schools, Leopold Street (annexed the Firth College in 1906) Sheffield Middle Class Schools, Paradise Square The Boys Blue Coat Charity School (ages 8 -14) Wesley College, Glossop Road (as Lyn noted, would be merged with the Royal Grammar School in 1905) Westbourne Preparatory School
  11. from the Sheffield Daily Telegraph of 20th April 1926: PASSING OF THE GROWLER "Horse-drawn cabs, commonly known as "Growlers" are in very little demand today they are too slow for these times. At the railway stations a few of the "growlers" are still to be found on the ranks." Leeds station had banned them but in Sheffield the rights to use the station approaches was down to individual firms and there were still a few "growlers", waiting hours for a customer who dreaded fast moving traffic and didn't mind a slow journey. A representative from Reuben Thompson Ltd, said that the real reason for retaining them was to give employment for some of their old servants.
  12. Edmunds George, beerhouse, 61 Grimesthorpe road, bottom corner of Danville Street opposite Tea Gardens hotel = Danville Inn / Hotel Ward Willie Leon, beerhouse, 62 Grimesthorpe road top corner Buckenham Road. = Buckenham or Buck Inn / Hotel Norton Simeon, beer house, 123 Grimesthorpe road top corner of Earldom Road. = Normanton Arms And this map possibly shows a public house on the opposite corner of Earldom road to number 123. = 152 Grimesthorpe Road, beer-off licence only, transferred in 1926 from Albert Roper to Edward Conroy. (photo on Picture Sheffield, in 1970, corner of Earldom Road, when it was the premises of Sydney Green, money lender)
  13. By 1926 until at least 1929, the 856 Lodge were meeting at the Grapes Inn, Gower Street (at the junction with Earsham Street).
  14. The Wellington Inn, also called Hotel, and on the 1890 map below called the Duke of Wellington was on Brightside Lane (number 720) at the junction with Hawke Street.
×