Jump to content

Edmund

Sheffield History Member
  • Content Count

    1,444
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    14

Edmund last won the day on March 20

Edmund had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

92 Excellent

1 Follower

About Edmund

  • Rank
    Sheffield History Pro

Profile Information

  • Location
    Ramsbottom, Lancashire

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Other schools around in 1901 were: University House, 31 Havelock Street, for young working men, established 1901 The Central Secondary Schools, Leopold Street (annexed the Firth College in 1906) Sheffield Middle Class Schools, Paradise Square The Boys Blue Coat Charity School (ages 8 -14) Wesley College, Glossop Road (as Lyn noted, would be merged with the Royal Grammar School in 1905) Westbourne Preparatory School
  2. from the Sheffield Daily Telegraph of 20th April 1926: PASSING OF THE GROWLER "Horse-drawn cabs, commonly known as "Growlers" are in very little demand today they are too slow for these times. At the railway stations a few of the "growlers" are still to be found on the ranks." Leeds station had banned them but in Sheffield the rights to use the station approaches was down to individual firms and there were still a few "growlers", waiting hours for a customer who dreaded fast moving traffic and didn't mind a slow journey. A representative from Reuben Thompson Ltd, said that the real reason for retaining them was to give employment for some of their old servants.
  3. Edmunds George, beerhouse, 61 Grimesthorpe road, bottom corner of Danville Street opposite Tea Gardens hotel = Danville Inn / Hotel Ward Willie Leon, beerhouse, 62 Grimesthorpe road top corner Buckenham Road. = Buckenham or Buck Inn / Hotel Norton Simeon, beer house, 123 Grimesthorpe road top corner of Earldom Road. = Normanton Arms And this map possibly shows a public house on the opposite corner of Earldom road to number 123. = 152 Grimesthorpe Road, beer-off licence only, transferred in 1926 from Albert Roper to Edward Conroy. (photo on Picture Sheffield, in 1970, corner of Earldom Road, when it was the premises of Sydney Green, money lender)
  4. By 1926 until at least 1929, the 856 Lodge were meeting at the Grapes Inn, Gower Street (at the junction with Earsham Street).
  5. The Wellington Inn, also called Hotel, and on the 1890 map below called the Duke of Wellington was on Brightside Lane (number 720) at the junction with Hawke Street.
  6. When you say "the original H.L Brown" premises...
  7. Possibly also a brother: John William Parker baptised at St Vincents (R.C) on 8th March 1869, record states mother's first name is Sara Cawley or Curley, father's name is William. Curley seems to be an Irish surname.
  8. I've see the articles that you refer to. The 58 Bailey Street family are shown in the census returns below - their name changes between Barker and Parker as it is continued onto the new sheet. There was no Bailey Street in the Park district, it was off Broad Lane in St Georges. The Mary Ann referred to in the newspaper appears to be at home with her parents in 1881, whereas "your" Mary Ann is in the Ecclesall Workhouse?
  9. Here are a couple of Free e-books that may give you a good start (Vital Statistics of Sheffield 1843 and the Sanatory (sic) Condition of Sheffield 1848) https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=paNkAAAAcAAJ&dq=vital statistics of sheffield&source=gbs_book_other_versions https://archive.org/details/b21534354/page/n4 David Hey's "A History of Sheffield" 1998 may also be helpful.
  10. Here's some bits - 1890 and a partial insurance map of 1896
  11. George's daughter Marjorie married Kenneth Smith in 1954. Their sons Stephen R Smith and Michael M Smith were born in London in 1956 and 1958 respectively. Unfortunately there are many people with these names living in London.
  12. Here is the 1901 Census entry for Mary Ann Parker, William Henry's mother, who was in the Fir Vale Workhouse. The Mr Barkby referred to in the Guardians Minute book was Joseph Barkby (1834-1905) a mining engineer of Far House, Cricket Road, who represented the Park Ward on the Board of Guardians for seven years, and was chairman of the Estates and Works Committee, also a Primitive Methodist preacher. Mrs Chappell started on the Board of Guardians in 1984, and for nine years was the only female member of the Board, and she was especially involved with the poor of the Neepsend district. She and her husband John died within a few hours of each other in July 1927. And here they both are in 1891 in the Fir Vale Workhouse (not sure what the "trade" given for Mary Ann is?) And in 1881 Mary Ann was a 13 year old scholar in the Ecclesall Workhouse - presumably she was discharged and hence became pregnant with William Henry. And here is two year old Mary Parker, in 1871, in the Ecclesall Workhouse, with her single mother Sarah Ann Parker (a spoon buffer by trade) and sisters Ann 7, and Sarah 9 months.
  13. Here is the 1901 Census for William Henry - he was at the Beeches childrens home on Barnsley Road: Here's a 1905 map showing the Beeches: and part of one from 1890: Here's the Beeches (in the trees) from an aerial photograph taken in 1935: Link to information about the Beeches (Lyn may well have additional knowledge about the Beeches): The Beeches was occupied by Thomas Collinson (Assistant Overseer and Collector of Poor Rates for Brightside, also Clerk of the Burial Board) and family until his death in January 1897, when the Guardians of the Poor attempted to rent it out. It later became (amongst other things) a nurses' home for the City General Hospital. The Southampton was moored on the River Humber at Hull - link here: http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/TSSouthampton/
  14. What was he doing on a training ship aged 12? At the 1911 census he was stated to be 18 years old.
×