Two maps, matching the two images, 25 years separating them, say 1940 and 1965...
earlier image, taken from location indicated by red arrow, wooden hoardings probably bordering the building site of the garage (latterly Alan Pond’s! - who remembers that?!)
later image taken from blue arrow, with the tree lined central reservation that marks the dual carriageway down past Lowedges, to join the Dronfield bypass.
anyone noticed they’ve kept the topstones on the wall of the Norton Hotel? Lowered the wall, painted them white and plonked back on! Look at the later photo and the street view link provided by @boginspro